Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR pulley voltage problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 AM
JGTC_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UR pulley voltage problem

Guys , just want to check if this is normal..

After installing the UR pulleys , now my voltage indicated on the gauge drops do a little above 12v at idle (usually with the stock pulley it's at 14~15V) , but when I rev it up , the voltage goes up to around 14v.

is this normal or something is wrong?

and once in a while i get a squeek from the belt , should i adjust the tension again cause i dont think i should apply any form of lubricant on the belts as some workshop suggested me to do.

Thanks a lot
Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
gmx

I have the same problem also you can notice it also when you lower your
window
Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
JGTC_350z

yes i have all 3 installed...... well the stock gauge is showing a lil above 12 at idle but at cruise or accel it goes up all the way to 14......

any idea guys? normal?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal.

The smaller pulley turns the belt a little slower. This causes the alternator, power steering pump, etc's pulleys to turn slower. This slower rotation translates to a less than optimum charging.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 AM
JGTC_350z

so why do people want to change it for then?

a bigger concern is the belt squeek , on cold start up it squeeks for 2-5 sec then it wont squel anymore . Should I be worried? cause i searched and a member said if it continues to squel it means tension is not tight enough and will lead to the belt getting "glazed" ..... it's not a continuous squel just on cold start up.. and i did try to press the belt with my finger and there is no slack at all.

need advise on this last concern from experts like u guys.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:38 AM
itpro2002

Belt is not tensioned right
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM
JGTC_350z

itpro2002: since it was installed in a workshop....... is there anyway i can check or re-do the tension myself? there is no slack , looks tight and everything looks like it is in order.

thanks a lot for the info
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
JGTC_350z

im more worried on the belt squeel now =\
Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JGTC_350z
Guys , just want to check if this is normal..

After installing the UR pulleys , now my voltage indicated on the gauge drops do a little above 12v at idle (usually with the stock pulley it's at 14~15V) , but when I rev it up , the voltage goes up to around 14v.

is this normal or something is wrong?

and once in a while i get a squeek from the belt , should i adjust the tension again cause i dont think i should apply any form of lubricant on the belts as some workshop suggested me to do.

Thanks a lot
if the belt squeaks, it is loose. The factory service manual has tension listed for all drivebelts, or you can just do it the manual way and increase the tension little by little till the squeak is gone
Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

im more worried on the belt squeel now =\
Don't worry, even stock belts/pulleys squeeze (normal cars will do also). Just do what ' Z1 performance ' said, or if you didn't install them urself, take it back to shop and ask them retight belts again. ( will take not even 10 mins )
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 AM
JGTC_350z

thanks a lot guys

took the front undercover off and tighten it up myself. do not have a tension gauge like what the FSM said but i tighten a good 1 turn on the idler pulley screw.

How much is too much and what's the worse that can happen on over-tightened belts? will it add additional stress to the crank etc?
Cause I have no idea how much I should tighten cause it looks like i can still give it a few more rounds on the screw.

I didnt put back the undercover just worried that i might have to tighten it again. Do you guys increase it by 1 full round of 1/4 round each time?

and how often do you have to change the belts? want to know if over-tightened belts will shorten the life span of the belts that makes it prone to getting changed sooner.

appreciate all the help guys

PS: Z1_Performance did the UR crank pulley damage your engine hence you swap to the ATI crank damper? shoot just reading your thread now I felt like I wasted some money putting this light weigh UR crank on..... need your comment on this as i rather junk the part than junk the engine =\

Thanks a lot

Last edited by JGTC_350z; 07-28-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks a lot guys

took the front undercover off and tighten it up myself. do not have a tension gauge like what the FSM said but i tighten a good 1 turn on the idler pulley screw.

How much is too much and what's the worse that can happen on over-tightened belts? will it add additional stress to the crank etc?
Cause I have no idea how much I should tighten cause it looks like i can still give it a few more rounds on the screw.

I didnt put back the undercover just worried that i might have to tighten it again. Do you guys increase it by 1 full round of 1/4 round each time?

and how often do you have to change the belts? want to know if over-tightened belts will shorten the life span of the belts that makes it prone to getting changed sooner.

appreciate all the help guys
I'd recommend doing it about 90 degrees each time...easy enough to tighten, then start it to see if it makes noise. If you live in Dubai and you're getting squeaking, that means it's fairly loose. Yes if you overtighten the belt it will put more stress on it. Belts should be inspected for cracking, etc. every 5000miles or so.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Q45tech

Use a belt tension gauge.
http://www.morbark.com/Service/belttension.pdf
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Ztalker

i had to re-tighten my brand new belt three or four times in order to stop the squeeking. i had the idler pulley removed(excellent mod btw) a couple of months ago. The idea is to get the exact belt tension w/o over tightening.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
JGTC_350z

why remove the idler pulley?

i tighten it already and no more squel but no where in dubai can i find a stupid tension gauge ....... will there be any signs or symptoms of over-tightening? man i didnt know just by modding pulleys can give me such a paranoia headache.