Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clue me in on the "03 shifting problem"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 AM
MaVel2iCk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that bad, it's just notchey... Push the clutch all the way down before you start your shifts and shift above 2,500 and you'll have little problems. I've got 70k on mine and it's not that bad, nor does it distract me or hinder my ability to shift in any way.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 with 60k miles on it. No tranny problems and the previous owner drove the **** out of the car and so do I.

Other problem is tire feathering but that is solved with a set of camber bolts and an alignment. Other then that, nothing wrong with the car, pick it up.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got an 03 with NO PROBLEMS!!! perhaps its because i take care of it, and know how to drive!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Other problem is tire feathering but that is solved with an alignment.
Fixed, camber bolts have nothing to do with the feathering problem. Hell , what are camber bolts ??? I know we can get toe bolts but ....
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
keithhofmann

Originally Posted by bamyi
I, along with many others, have this tranny problem. My gears keep grinding on certain gear shift. So the dealer has had to replace my tranny twice. I am on my third tranny and shifting is not as smooth as when I first got it, but at least it's not grinding.

My warranty is over therefore I have to pay to get it replace.

03 have many other problems besides the tranny. Just play it safe and don't get an 03 or 04.
Or you could take out a warranty with a different company and pay about the same money and get it fixed that way and ifanythign else goes worng your covered. duh. I dont know where u got your tranny replaced but they clearly did a **** job and used crappy tranny's bc if you got the revised tranny you should have been fine, that or you just suck at shifting and its your fault your tranny's keep getting blown out which seems more likely. The only other prob i heard was with tire feathering which mine has never done thank god, knock on wood. 06 is worse they burn oil like crazy.

Last edited by keithhofmann; 08-14-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
slaponte

Guys, guys... I think we have been down this road a few times. Some grind, some don't, some dealers help you, some suck. And sometimes is the driver, sometimes the car. I think the OP got the idea by now.

Lets all get along and go grind some more walnuts with our shifters...
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM
tywinter

OP
If you have a tranny concern check with your local dealer before buying the car. I am the third owner of my car and warranty was over per the time line. I asked nicely and got the new transmission for free. Always remember that when you approach the service departments they treat you better if you act as though they are helping you rather than they owe you.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
halcyon901

i had mine replaced, per nissan warranty, last November (@ 29,000 miles). 3rd gear grind, something else was problematic as well. they replaced the entire transmission and clutch. smooth like butter now! just make sure the car is under warranty.

now, if i only had time to drop if off to fix the rear axle click!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
trefidyZ

got mine replace under warranty no questions asked and then even gave me a new clutch under warrany.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
JackMcNASTY

Originally Posted by tywinter
OP
If you have a tranny concern check with your local dealer before buying the car. I am the third owner of my car and warranty was over per the time line. I asked nicely and got the new transmission for free. Always remember that when you approach the service departments they treat you better if you act as though they are helping you rather than they owe you.
How nice did you have to ask and what did you say? Mine is out of waranty and I am the third owner. I would defiantley like to get anew tranny for nothing.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
insomniaxvi

3rd and 5th... bad syncros. 60k miles on my 03 and still grinds on occasion... and this is after Nissan claims to have 'fixed' the problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by draoz4
i have an 03 with 28kmiles on it and i have the tranny problem the syncros of 3rd and 5th gear are bad it grinds if i slam the gear if i ease it in nothing happens and also at high rpms it does it too
May have something to do with your problem. Statements like this really make me wonder my people complain about the transmission.

My 03 has 62K miles on the original and is holding very well. I was experiencing an occasional grind going into 2nd but that has mysteriously stopped about 6 months ago. Hasn't happened since then. Slamming or forcing things into gears is never a good idea. Machinery has to do its work and that takes time. If you force things in or slam gears, you will break something eventually. You have to work with the machinery, not against it, to obtain optimal results.

Maybe I should start working on a guide "HOW-TO shift correctly with MT". Based on the number of posts that I see like above the lack of knowledge in this area may need to be addressed. Draoz4, I didn't mean to single you out, just using your post as a victim for my rant.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 08-16-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
JackMcNASTY

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
May have something to do with your problem. Statements like this really make me wonder my people complain about the transmission.

My 03 has 62K miles on the original and is holding very well. I was experiencing an occasional grind going into 2nd but that has mysteriously stopped about 6 months ago. Hasn't happened since then. Slamming or forcing things into gears is never a good idea. Machinery has to do its work and that takes time. If you force things in or slam gears, you will break something eventually. You have to work with the machinery, not against it, to obtain optimal results.

Maybe I should start working on a guide "HOW-TO shift correctly with MT". Based on the number of posts that I see like above the lack of knowledge in this area may need to be addressed. Draoz4, I didn't mean to single you out, just using your post as a victim for my rant.
By slamming it in I am sure he means just shifting quickly.

For myself, I have been driving manual cars for 15 years and have never had a car grind like this one. Also, it is only 2 gears and all others are fine with the same shifting method.

There is definately an issue.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vroooooom -> shift
Vroooooom -> shift
Vroooooom -> GRIND
Vroooooom -> shift
Vroooooom -> GRIND
Vroooooom -> decelerate
Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Cuz your shifting = god... right?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 AM
shadman05

Originally Posted by draoz4
i have an 03 with 28kmiles on it and i have the tranny problem the syncros of 3rd and 5th gear are bad it grinds if i slam the gear if i ease it in nothing happens and also at high rpms it does it too

same exact thing here with my 03 at about 30k miles
Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I got my tranny swapped at 41k , and i actually like the way the old tranny shifts. I've now got 25k on the new 009 tranny its just now as smooth as the old one.

BTW i bought my car with the 5th gear grind, and have been driving manuel for 18 years.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
kneedragger81

it took me some time to get used to shifting into 1st smoothly. The car just feels like it has a high release point compared to other cars i was used to driving. It grew on me after a couple of weeks though.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 AM
HitLines

Had a 3rd gear grind around 30K (at 35k now). Nissan replaced it within 1 day. No questions - just a small hassle. It has something to do with the syncros not properly aligning.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
JackMcNASTY

I spoke to Nissan Canada today and they said to take it to the dealer to get diagnosed and to call them back and they will see if they will fix it.

I called the local dealer and they said they would put someone on it that was familiar with the 350z "Issue".

Sounds like I might get this fixed for nothing even though I am outside my waranty period.

Quick Reply: Clue me in on the "03 shifting problem"