Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2006 consuming oil. Off to dealership we go

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
steelyloc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 consuming oil. Off to dealership we go

hey guys, I bought my 2006MT touring two years ago and although I never post, I am on here daily trying to learn as much as i can about my car through other people's experiences good and bad through this forum.
I have 13k on the clock and have had the oil changed by my mechanic routinely before I hit 3k, his shop is by the train I take to work so it is convenient. Before my last oil change during a quick stop, I noticed out of the corner of my eye the check oil light flash, so I brought it right in. He changed the oil, said I was really low, to keep my eye on it.
Well, two months later and about 2500k I am heading out for dinner and the light comes on again. My stomache turns, I get out of the car knowing I am not gonna get an accurate measurement, because the car had been running, and I check the dipstick, which is IMO is poorly designed, practically useless. I add 2 quarts 5w-30 barelly getting a reading on the dipstick.
Next day I decide to do my own oil change so I can see how much oil my car has consumed. 3 1/2 quarts came out which means I was down to about a quart and a half, before I added oil, the previous day.

My car is off to the dealership tuesday for a consumption test. By reading other threads about this I am getting sick. There are some people who are on their third engine replacement. What does that do to the resale value?
I am curious to find out if anyone with the same problem traded their car in for a new model. were they able to get any compensation.
IMO I dont think it is unreasonable to trade up, for a new one, restart loan with same payment. the kelly blue book dealer trade in is right around what I owe on the car, and I am sure they will offer a lot less.
I am hoping for the best.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck.