Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cold temp. tranny shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
queasyrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold temp. tranny shifting problems

My '04Z has just had a tranny and diff. gear oil change. Now I can't shift into 2nd in cold weather, and am getting a whining noise, until the tranny warms up. Could it be due to wrong viscosity/amount of gear oil? What are the specs and grade for trnny/diff. gear oil? Any info would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you.
KennyG.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
BiGGD198

this this just happen after the oil change or you just noticed it louder after?

i recommend using Royal Purple tranny fluid and fill it up til it spills...i have an 03 with major tranny problems last year....but after the change like 3 months ago...i just had my first cold temperature start and works amazing....slides right into gear with a lil grind but thats normal for my tranny....but alot smoother of a shift and after like 2 min of driving works like a charm.

alot of people also recommend that Motul...and theres threads of a "secret recipe", where you mix some oils and it fixes the synchro problem.......thinking about trying that next year since i got nothing to lose if my tranny blows....its a matter of time anyway...haha
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
BiGGD198

this just happen after the oil change or you just noticed it louder after?

i recommend using Royal Purple tranny fluid and fill it up til it spills...i have an 03 with major tranny problems last year....but after the change like 3 months ago...i just had my first cold temperature start and works amazing....slides right into gear with a lil grind but thats normal for my tranny....but alot smoother of a shift and after like 2 min of driving works like a charm.

alot of people also recommend that Motul...and theres threads of a "secret recipe", where you mix some oils and it fixes the synchro problem.......thinking about trying that next year since i got nothing to lose if my tranny blows....its a matter of time anyway...haha
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds reasonable. Depends how cold is cold. 32 degrees or less is cold. The motor is cold, the transmission it cold, the differential is cold, the shocks are cold. Cold effects every fluid. After 5 minutes of driving everything should be fine.

Except the struts that hold up the rear hatch. Watch your head.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
queasyrider

Default cold weather tranny shifting problems

Yes, I noticed it more after my tech changed fluids. He swears he used recommended viscosity, and checked levels. The diff. whines as well in the cold, until I have about 5 miles on the car.
Should I : 1.Have the fluids changed again? ( seems like such a waste of $)
2. Bring it to Nissan, have them leave it outside on a cold day?
(77k on the Z. I have an aftermarket warranty-Guardian)
3. Live with it, and wait for warm weather?

KennyG.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Escobar

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts

for those who changed your tranny fluid, which fluid did you put in it to help with the issues? Royal Purple or Motul ? I am about to do a tranny fluid change and want to know what would work best. thanks