Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone advance the timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone advance the timing?

Has any1 advanced the timing on the Z? I remember a thread wayyyy back in the day concerning this but I wanted to get some current feedback on this. I heard the safe amount is about a +2 advance. Any1 notice any improvement, or any dynoable improvement? Thanks for any input!

--Justin
Old 08-14-2003, 04:16 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only advances the timing long enough for troubleshoting engine problems, thus the chage gets reverted in time buy the ecu. To really change the timing you will have to get a flashed ECU.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:29 AM
j's350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or the SMT6!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:45 AM
sschmuve

Ive had it advanced 2 deg., but it really isn't noticeable. I'm glad the dealer did it free for a good feedback rating. They were going to charge me $90. It's not worth paying for, unless you drag your car. Even then, I don't know.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:54 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by j's350z
Or the SMT6!
Really?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:09 AM
FLY BY Z

There are two ways the dealer can change your timing. One is permanent and the other is not. My dealer did it for free for me the permanent way. It took less than 5 minutes. My cats are out and he checked lean/rich condition and said it looked good/normal. I think everyone has hyped up a bunch of misinformation on the Z and should not overcomplicate the car. Why should I believe the shop guys at the dealer? Well, I sat in the passenger seat while the guy showed me how to do it and considering the dealership belongs to my father, I know that I am not getting BS'd at anytime.

By the way, the timing advance is very noticable. The car is much faster; maybe that is just a good combo with cat pipes (lsdunique) I don't know. But the car is smoother and pulls harder. Find a dealer who will do it for free. They are out there.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:20 AM
Juztin

Quick question Mr. Potato Head,

Did you do the permanent advance before or after the lsd's? If so did you notice it then as well? From what I can tell, the advance should be helping the low end & mid range torque giving you that oomph right?

Guess I'm just trying to see if I can determine if the advance does give a noticeable improvement seperately from anything else. It makes sense to do is as it should benefit the low & mid range torque w/out cutting off the top end. Thanks for your feedback guys and especially Mr. Potato Head, much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:07 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
There are two ways the dealer can change your timing. One is permanent and the other is not. My dealer did it for free for me the permanent way. It took less than 5 minutes. My cats are out and he checked lean/rich condition and said it looked good/normal. I think everyone has hyped up a bunch of misinformation on the Z and should not overcomplicate the car. Why should I believe the shop guys at the dealer? Well, I sat in the passenger seat while the guy showed me how to do it and considering the dealership belongs to my father, I know that I am not getting BS'd at anytime.

By the way, the timing advance is very noticable. The car is much faster; maybe that is just a good combo with cat pipes (lsdunique) I don't know. But the car is smoother and pulls harder. Find a dealer who will do it for free. They are out there.
Could you find out how. This would be cool, because I was shown the Consult tech manual (Z33 specific pages) where it discusses timing advance / retard and it specifically said that this procedure would temporarily change the timing. IF there is another procedure I would like to experiment with this.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:15 AM
cbsuper

I'm a dunce when it comes to cars, so can someone explain to me what exactly does timing do and the importance of advancing it?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Juztin

Physical timing screw to permantently advance the timing by two degrees right?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

since the VQ has a timing chain, you really cant alter the timing as you could with a honda (with timing belts and adjustability externally), typically the only way to advance the timing is with a Consult or through the core ECU program...
Old 08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
FLY BY Z

I had the cat pipes in for about 500 miles before I had the timing done. I will call down and ask the guy what is the different step in permanent/temporary adjustment of the timing with the Consult II when I can. The dealership is in San Antonio and I am in Dallas.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:38 PM
webcarconnection

I have my timing advanced and its great but I don't know if they do it the permanent way or not... I check the timing a couple of hundred miles after and it was find but know more than 3000 I haven't check its on... Pot. Head check the steps to follow w the perm. adj please!

thanks!

Last edited by webcarconnection; 08-14-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:27 PM
jeffa

I had mine advanced 2 degrees. It is permenent through the Consult.
I noticed better initial throttle response, and the car pulls harder in the upper rpm range. Had it done a couple of months ago at my dealer. Did not charge me, and asked how much advance I wanted. You can actually advance the static timeing up to 5 degrees...
Old 08-15-2003, 06:20 AM
webcarconnection

The +5 degrees is for tunning or troubleshoting... is a margin that the consult II have if the car need some tunnig (for any car the consult II can handle) the Z only handle +2 degrees... if you put it in +5 the car readjust to +2.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:11 AM
SlamMan

Originally posted by cbsuper
I'm a dunce when it comes to cars, so can someone explain to me what exactly does timing do and the importance of advancing it?
Ignition timing is a measurement in refference to when the spark plug fires in relation to the angle of the crank. This is measured in degrees in relation to the crank being at top dead center, or TDC. Timing is advanced before top dead center, or BTDC to acheive burning of more fuel before the end of the power stroke and the begining of the exhaust stroke.

Edit: 100 posts and I don't even own a Z yet. Weeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by SlamMan; 08-15-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Juztin

More power and less unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust
Old 08-15-2003, 08:33 PM
jeffa

If you put in 5 degrees of static timing with the Consult programmer, ithe ECU will not readjust the timing back to 2 degrees. The only way the timing can be retarded from whatever you have programmed it to be is if the knock sensors detect spark knock, and only then will the timing be retarded to reduce or eliminate the knock...
Old 08-16-2003, 05:55 AM
cbsuper

Thanks for the clarification guys.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:26 PM
Sevenduce72

Default Yes you can keep the timing where you want it

All you need is a ELM327 V1.5 Auto Diagnostic Tool OBD2 Code Reader Scanner Bluetooth For Android it has to be this one its like 10 bucks then download the app cvtz50 ..it works amazingly and has multiple awesome functions. I didn't believe it either but now I can set my idle up or down. Do the idle relearn without having to do all that crazy stuff I know my cvt temperature and that's priceless if you want to change your fluid link to the obd https://www.ebay.com/itm/262812908727?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7TnsuN08Q0C&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=qfGR7SBFRkC&var=&wid get_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This is just some of the features

Last edited by Sevenduce72; 02-14-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone advance the timing?