Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

dual mass or solid fly wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
savering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual mass or solid fly wheel

I got to put in a new clutch. they said it would be cheaper to put in a solid fly wheel and a stage one or two clutch than the origional dual mass flywheel... any thoughts on what i should go with? thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may not have to replace your stock flywheel. There pretty strong units, I would see if you could have it resurfaced and get a clutch kit.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When its time for a new clutch to replace the stocker, most our customers elect to upgrade the clutch and the flywheel at the same time. From a performance perspective, any lightweight single mass flywheel is going to offer much better performance. From a sound and noise standpoint, the stocker is the way to go.

I would say that the vast majority of people, will upgrade the clutch and flywheel at the same time, but it's not required. Now, if your stock flywheel is completely heat seared and damaged, then yes, then a change out is required. We have all kinds of parts in stock if you need anything. THANKS!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
davidmcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my clutch/flywheel a couple months ago also. If your flywheel looks anything like mine did you are going to need a replacement. I went with the JWT combo and overall I'm pleased with it. If you can tolerate a little rattle at low rpm in exchange for a small but noticeable performance gain I'd recommend going with a lighter solid flywheel.

One thing I like about the JWT flywheel is that it has a replaceable friction surface so it'll likely be the first and last flywheel I buy for this car. The clutch works well too, the high clamping force pressure plate is a definite improvement over stock.

Last edited by davidmcc; 11-16-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, agreed. I know a fellow in town who went with ACT clutch and ultra light flywheel (single) and after 500 miles he swapped back into a stocker. Now this ACT flywheel is available. I know the factory is quiet, but WHO WANTS STOCK!!!!!?????11?!1eleventy?1