Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Calling Myself Out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Calling Myself Out!

Welp I just did my last dyno run @ Dynopro (www.dynopro.com) here in Denver. My corrected numbers where 256.1 & 238.0 on that last pull (#4). I apologize if I misled probably everyone who read my last thread with my last dyno. Those numbers on that dyno from Paragon where really really jacked and probably corrected even though they said the numbers weren't. Aside from the crappy power for the mods on the car. I am having a whole new problem

My car is running lean, and lean as in 17.5:1 max. From what I hear the "ideal" mix is around 12:1, 13:1 right? I'll post up some detailed graphs representing the measured air flow and all that good stuff. Once again my apologies for the mislead with my last dyno guys, my bad!

Now I gotta figure out how to fix this lean state. From what I've seen my lean state is even worse than j's350z. I'm gonna look into that SMT6, so hopefully I can get this lean state fixed sooner than later with dyno tuning to hopefully give you guys a good of an idea for the power the mods can make. Do you guys have any recommendations for fixing the lean state. Best look so far from browsing the forums would be ECU, I'm not sure if TS does it, but I know Perfect Power's piggy back does.

A side note also, the power band in my 4 dyno runs was a straight pick-up across the entire rpm range. My paragon dyno showed it drop drastically off after like 6k. With my new dyno, it is straight up rising to high hell across the whole range . And to make my day yesterday a little better after all that, my Axis Se7en Mod rims came in

--Justin
Old 08-19-2003, 05:45 AM
spazpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin are you running with no Cats. I've heard this could cause a real lean situation. you might want to put thecats back on till you run some kind of fuel management. besides the smt6 or ts you could also buy the apex super sfc which is adjustable to the tuner
Old 08-19-2003, 07:55 AM
SlamMan

If I remember correctly all you have on the car is bolt-ons. If this is true there is no way you are really running that lean. The catless exhaust wouldn't cause you to run lean. Are you sure they were checking your A/F ratio. I thought J's350z's problem was that they wern't checking the A/F ratio at all. Did you talk to anyone there about the A/F ratio?

BTW, How did you like Dynopros? I'm going to have HondaGhandi from www.highaltitudeimports.com tune my turbo Civic Si at Dynopros soon.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Dynopro was a HELLUVA lot more professional than Paragon. I highly recommend them. 75 bucks for 3 (well actually 4) runs w/ a/f metering in place. The did check the a/f as I watched them connect it up to read and had the a/f readings seperate. First thing the tech said after the first run was that the car was running lean.... sure enough. I got a bunch of printouts of all the results and will scan in sometime this week and post here. I'm probably gonna end up with an Apexi sfc II as the price is good and I can tune it. I honestly have no idea why the car is running lean, but it is, so I'm still optomistic to see what I can do with some tunning
Old 08-19-2003, 08:43 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoot, i was going to do similar mods, but if it has that side effect, then i shall wait.

i'd rather have the car running right, than having more power.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 AM
shaneotool

256 HP does sound closer to being right than 300.

I guess modding the Z makes it run lean, or maybe it has something to do with the thin air up there.

I think that ecu that j's350z is working on will help you out big time. His car was lean too - like 16:1 - the ecu riched the mix and made him big time power.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 AM
little_rod

Interesting, when you add more air without more fuel, guess what. BUT, that shouldn't be the case with your boltons. Many, many people on this board are running a similar setup to yours. All you have is a pop charger and Crawford plenum on your car on the intake side, which I believe would be the only thing that would give you enough air to run lean.

I would give Crawford a call, cause that is the only thing on your car that could be giving you too much air. I don't remember anyone having a similar problem with the Crawford making the car run lean, but then again, I don't remember anyone checking to see if the Crawford made their car run lean. Ask them, they know what they are doing.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:46 PM
daking350
Banned

I ran lean too for a while and could smell it in the car when I accelerated. the problem was that when i installed my Injen CAI I put the mass airflow sensor back in facing down. apparently this caused a false reading from the heat or airflow but once i put it back in stock position the car ran fine...
Old 08-23-2003, 02:14 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd... I dyno'd with plenum and highflow cats... and I was hitting 13.3 +/- .1 the entire run.

Never ONCE running lean.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:22 PM
2003z

For the most accurate reading, you should get an O2 bung installed, but I'm sure the probe is fairly close. Anyway, The TS ECU can fix your problem. They reset the a/f to 12.8:1 or so, and can adjust according to your dyno.

I had erroneous data, so they reprogrammed mine to enrich the fuel according to that data (probe never hooked in, but told it was). I got the bung installed and the newer program took me to 11:1, so TS is going back to the standard program for me.

Call TS @ 310-787-0847 and talk to Danny Lee, I'm sure he can help you. Either that, or wait for J's SMT-6 program, I'm sure they will both do the job.