Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dyno numbers seem low, let me know what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

One step colder is going to be less power when running N/A
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM
BrazenZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
One step colder is going to be less power when running N/A
Oops mis-read quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
35Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno'ed my former Z

Originally Posted by ChrisNelson

I think I have a pretty good idea of why the numbers were a little low.

First of all, I used the NGK 6A plugs (one step colder) in preparation for running nitrous.

Secondly, I accidentally left the two silencers in the back of my exhaust, which is a large restriction.

Is it reasonable to assume that the combination of these two situations would cost me 10 or more hp?
Chris:

I will email you my Dynojet pulls with those current mods with the stock spark plugs. The 249rwhp/243 max torque was conducted in Jan. at approx. 50 degree outside temp. I would be best if your dyno pull included RPM instead of speed along with torque reading. Best if you knew the engine water temperature when dynoing the car. A timing plot to determine whether the car is pulling timing out due to detonation or not would be a plus. I looks a little lean at near the top end speed. Also, check the O2 sensors connections and the conditions of the sensors unless your going with test pipes (Good idea with spray). The stock 2005 Z's came with wideband O2 sensors.

Additionally, I have a dyno pull that included only the NISMO CAI (248rwhp). The Nismo CAI does not seems to be a issue IMHO.

I would suggest loading the car up with some 100 octane unleaded racing fuel and head back to the dyno on a comparable temperature/humid day and try again. If your numbers increase significantly then, it may be due to timing.

Yes, it is plausible that a colder plug may decrease horsepower IMHO. Also, I would suggest re-timing the ECU with/without spray in order to optimize the Z for the mods.

Last edited by 35Z; 05-27-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More text