Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

310.7 whp and 261 ft. lbs. Naturally Aspirated 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 PM
datspeed77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
Me thinks Dat is running a 50-shot...

No exhaust is going to add 50rwhp to this car. You could run headers and straight pipe all the way back and you wouldn't gain 50rwhp. Hell, you could run headers, NO pipes, and tune it to run that way and it probably wouldn't pick up 50 rwhp.

Further, he mentioned in the other thread that the dyno had "peaks, like it was on boost".. just the way a N20 dyno would read.

Sorry, I don't think the dyno is that far off... I can believe the Mossy car hit 282 and that Richard could even be a little higher than that. If we assume the dyno is 15-20hp off, then Dat still ran 290 with only a custom exhaust?

Yeah, right... me thinks is Nitrous and someone has been sniffing a bit too much of it when writing his comments...
I had the engine exposed all day at the show. Trust me, I'm not on NOS.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Enron Exec

From the dyno sheets at: http://www.350zforum.com/ , it looks like the torque drops off at around 6300 rpms. That dyno sheet jesse posted kinda cuts off right around 6300 rpms so its too hard to judge.

I think that dyno is just one of the more optamistic dynoes. If someone can make those numbers at Mossy and then drive down to another brand of dyno, like Dyno Jet, and still make numbers within +/- 5 rwhp, then we can make some real conclusions.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
2003z

Screw the doubters! Richard and datspeed you have nothing to prove. Just enjoy your cars. Whether the dyno numbers are right or wrong, we know Richard had a baseline on the same dyno, and came within the normal range of stock dynos, so he definitely had considerable gains. Datspeed, did you do a baseline?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:20 PM
datspeed77

Originally posted by Diesel350
So this special exhaust they gave you is supposedly much better than the N1?

You don't seem to be very specific with your answers and that is why I doubt the claim that you made 310 rwhp with those mods you listed.
Here's the deal with the exhaust. I'm the owner of Speed Alliance in San Diego. We are the sole distributor of Vertex Body Kits from Japan. Apex gave me the exhaust to try out and keep. In return we gave them some Vertex side skirts for their Toyota Soarer. Don't know if the exhaust they gave me is better. Highly doubt it, if it was better, then they would have produced that exhaust here in the U.S. For some reason, they are producing this particular exhaust in Japan only. Just telling you the facts man.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:21 PM
datspeed77

Originally posted by 2003z
Screw the doubters! Richard and datspeed you have nothing to prove. Just enjoy your cars. Whether the dyno numbers are right or wrong, we know Richard had a baseline on the same dyno, and came within the normal range of stock dynos, so he definitely had considerable gains. Datspeed, did you do a baseline?
Nope. Had mods before I came to the show. I don't really care if it's correct or not, the car just feels fast as hell. Isn't that what counts?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:31 PM
mcduck

So what are the other mods that you had prior to the show that prevented a baseline dyno?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by datspeed77
Here's the deal with the exhaust. I'm the owner of Speed Alliance in San Diego. We are the sole distributor of Vertex Body Kits from Japan. Apex gave me the exhaust to try out and keep. In return we gave them some Vertex side skirts for their Toyota Soarer. Don't know if the exhaust they gave me is better. Highly doubt it, if it was better, then they would have produced that exhaust here in the U.S. For some reason, they are producing this particular exhaust in Japan only. Just telling you the facts man.
Is there a website that I can go to and see where in Japan they are selling these?

Also is the y-pipe something custom that you built?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It must be those "secret" mods that he isn't telling us about that did it!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 PM
raceboy
Banned

Well, I PM'd Richard also and offered to pay for his pull at the Socal Dyno day if I can't get Greg to take his car. I just want to get to the bottom of all this once and for all.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Javi

I would end all this discussion one way... RACING, I know some people would say that is risky, against the law, etc. I don't care! (no intention of picking up a fight ... BUT if I could go there, I would race all of them and THAT would without a doubt clarify if those cars are capable of that hp.
We are talking about low 13 second cars and close to 105mph in the 1/4. Not to mention above that speed, they should be monsters...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:59 PM
KhanMan

Isnt it odd he only got about 12 more tq with his mods? I would think he should have been getting more dont you think?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:03 PM
raceboy
Banned

Looks like Richard and I now have a deal.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

And to think I was there at Mossy that day. I could have done a dyno and maybe had more hp that any stock 350Z motor in the USA?

With this latest dyno post, it seems time to have the Mossy Z, Richards 350Z, and datspeed77 Z do a dyno test on a different dyno than the one used that weekend.

We either got some amazing Z's and all of us need to copy those set ups or something else is going on. The 282hp seems ressonable and I know Greg has been sure to be accurate. That dyno was done down in El Cajon. Maybe when they moved the dyno up to Oceanside, something was not calibrated correctly?

I believe that Greg dyno'ed about 291hp at the Mossy show with the same car/set up as the 282 hp dyno a couple of weeks prior. If that is an accurate statement, we are talking a margin of error of about 10hp. I assume that is a reasonable variation considering different days and temperatures. Am I correct or is that too much variation?

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 09-25-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Enron Exec

How hard is it to put the dyno sheets up for us to see? Base line runs too would be nice.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:33 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the engine exposed all day at the show. Trust me, I'm not on NOS.
Can you post some pics of you mods. I'd definitely be interested in checking them out, especially the y-pipe since it sounds like that made the most difference.

-D'oh!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:38 PM
datspeed77

Originally posted by Diesel350
Is there a website that I can go to and see where in Japan they are selling these?

Also is the y-pipe something custom that you built?
I doubt that it even hit the retail market yet. The Y-Pipe is custom. I had one of the guys who built the JBA Exhaust Manifolds for the Mustangs build me one.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:39 PM
datspeed77

Originally posted by mcduck
So what are the other mods that you had prior to the show that prevented a baseline dyno?
All of my mods were done before the show.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:43 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm 90% gonna be at this dyno day. aside from richard and greg, i'm the only other person who posts on these forums that have nismo cams too??? i know jeff@performance will have the cams installed soon, not sure when though, but hopefully in time for this dyno day.

its gonna be a fun and interesting day!! ....allmotor shootout!! and then someone with a procharger will come and blow us all away
Old 09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
ponykiller

All of my mods were done before the show.

Yes, but what were the mods! We understand they were done before the show, but we want to know what they actually were.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 PM
datspeed77

Originally posted by ponykiller
Yes, but what were the mods! We understand they were done before the show, but we want to know what they actually were.
Already told you!

Apex R&D Exhaust
Custom Y-Pipe
Injen Cold Air Intake (Routed differently because of Vertex Body Kit)
Unorthodox Underdrive and Accesory Pulleys

Quick Reply: 310.7 whp and 261 ft. lbs. Naturally Aspirated 350Z