Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My Frankenstein 350Z (...or how I added NA goodness!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Balls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey eric1h, life isn't short. It moves pretty fast.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 AM
mcduck

wedge said...
Are you going to purchase an additional ECU with the upgrades and keep your stock one as a spare or just send in your current ECU for remapping?
As I understand it, because of the security features on the ECU, you cannot map a spare... at least not currently. So, I will likely have to send the original.

Eric said...
if you need a dealership to help you out, we have a very mod friendly deakership in town RPM Nissan.
That may be helpful.... I'd be very interested in finding out if they can reset my timing and idle levels. Can you check and let me know? I really want to get this done this week so I can post some dynos on my mods for everyone.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Eric1h

Originally posted by Z-*****
Hey eric1h, life isn't short. It moves pretty fast.

ummmmmmmm ok..........
Old 10-31-2003, 06:59 AM
mcduck

Default Frankenstein has oodles of power!!!!

Review #2

As of last week, the work on cams, headers, plenum, pulleys, and fru-fru pieces was done. Yesterday, I took the car to Nissan to have the timing and idle adjusted. Then, I began driving it hard! A short while later, we added Crawford Hi-Flow cats and then I drove it hard some more!

Following are my thoughts on the car now that all motor work is done...

Prior to Hi-Flow cats... the real power difference was noticed up top. The motor wound up far more freely from 4K to redline and shifting at redline keeps the motor is this strong power curve. Bottom line, once you are rolling it pulls much stronger than stock. Burble of the Borla was most satisfying... making the car sound much more like some of the European sportscar offerings. In my mind, sounded much like a hi-performance NA Porsche at that point. At an idle, the cams are almost transparent. With the corrections to idle and timing all you notice is that the car runs a slightly higher idle when you are not moving. Otherwise, it is very transparent.

After adding Crawford Hi-Flow cats... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!
Okay, I know these aren't rated as a big HP gain, but I have to agree with Jeff at Performance Nissan (he added the Random Tech cats to his)... the swap from stock cats to hi-flow cats is was the most noticeable sounding and feeling difference I have made to the car!

With all the other mods + the new cats, the car is an absolute beast!!! More power (over my prior configurations) comes on from idle all the way up. The motor winds up MUCH faster. I have a hard time believing that the cats are only freeing up 5rwhp (as shown in previous dynos). It feels like much more... definitely more than 5ftlbs down low.

And the sound... OH, the sound... I thought I had died and gone to heaven! This is how the car should have always sounded. No kidding, it now sounds like a barely tamed racecar at WOT, yet at an idle is relatively quiet. I actually let my superior mechanic, Mark, take the car for a spin around a large city block. There was no question when he was opening up the car. The sound was much like hearing a racecar circle the track if you are standing a block or two away from the track.

It's beautiful, man... freakin' beautiful...

For those waiting for pictures... those will be coming soon, right Victor?

For those waiting for dynos, I'm scheduled to go see my dyno man on Veterans Day (I'm out all next week and that is the first day he could get me in). So, the evening of Nov 11th, I should have some numbers to report, for good or ill, of what all these mods add to my car.

More to come...
Old 10-31-2003, 11:29 AM
havabooz

any chance you can post a total for all the parts + work done on the car....if i make a lot of money during christmas season i cant help but put it into the car....amazing stuff you did...plus your exterior isnt too shabby either

if you cant post prices for engine work for any reason i understand..but can you give me a ball park #..thanks!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:30 AM
PropaGanda

"I have a hard time believing that the cats are only freeing up 5rwhp (as shown in previous dynos). It feels like much more... definitely more than 5ftlbs down low. "

Probably because you have all of the other stuff. I assume the stock cats are a big bottleneck just like on every car so the high flows freed up the power from your other mods. Are these free flow cats actually better flowing cats or just straight pipes? Sounds nice. I was actually afraid to get any straight pipe or aftermarket cats because every time I have heard a straight pipe on a car I have hated it. This sounds promising. I was thinking about getting the borla, too, so we shall see.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really a nice write up McDuck!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:40 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXACTLY!

The cats made my car WAYYY louder! I refused to believe I didn't gain much more. Disappointed when it dyno'd.

It's when you start pushing it, i.e. CAMS, FI, NOS - that you'll REALLY see what cats / testpipes can really do!

Nice reviews btw mcduck, look forward to seeing your car at the Tail come spring!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
mcduck

any chance you can post a total for all the parts + work done on the car....
Between parts and labor, I'm in for about $7K on the latest mods. Now this is a little higher than what you can get it done for. My labor costs were a little more for two reasons... 1) It was the first time this guy cracked a VQ and 2) I believe in paying for quality... Cosentino HiLines is one of the best, if not the best, shop in the area. These guys do top notch work and stand behind it after you leave the shop.

I think I could have saved about $800 on labor going someplace else, but I sleep well at night knowing if I have any problems a month from now, they will be there for me.

Are these free flow cats actually better flowing cats or just straight pipes
I'm sure this could be debated all day long, but I have always been told that, for the engine to run best, you need a little back pressure, but not too much. If that's true, then I would think hi-flow cats will produce better gains than straight test pipes. Who knows for sure?

I do know that I have none of the rattle/raspiness others using test pipes have described in the 3500-4000rpm range. Nothing but sweet, throaty exhaust music!

Last edited by mcduck; 10-31-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:16 PM
CLS

Where in charlotte are you and consentino hilines? I am visiting my g/f sister and they live off of Harris. I would like to see your car or check this shop out.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
havabooz

thanks mcduck..i guess i gotta really earn the $$ this christmas...and i would definately spend the 800 for reliable work...to me...its worth more than the parts
Old 10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Morris

Consentini Hilines is located at:

1220 South Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28203

(704) 458-4612

Not opened on weekends.

Although I don't have as much experience with them as mcduck, I agree that they are worth the extra money.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:20 PM
G35S6MT

Originally posted by CLS
my g/f sister
you have a girlfriend sister? WTF? That is sick man. just messin'

Car is nice McDuck. Just waiting for some overtime and mine will be there. I got about 400 hours of overtime scheduled for next spring and then I should be there.

How is the tranny holding up McDuck?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:24 PM
mcduck

No tranny problems to speak of... but then, I only have about 200 miles on the new mods.

CLS... I'm going to PM you my phone number in a moment. You might be able to catch up with me tomorrow. I'll be out running around in the university area anyway. Maybe you can catch me while out there.

For that matter, anyone in Charlotte who wants to see the monster, you can come out to the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium about 5:30-6:00pm tomorrow night. I will arrive about that time and be there well into the evening.

CLS... if your sister lives in the University area, she probably knows where the Saucer is.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:31 PM
2003z

Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, sounds like a place that would be worth the trip without a Z!
Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 PM
mcduck

Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, sounds like a place that would be worth the trip without a Z!
Umm... actually, yes. I'll be there Saturday because I am joining their Ring of Honor. I have successfully sucked down 200 different beers there in the past 15 or so months.

80+ beers on tap; another 125+ bottled all the time...
Old 10-31-2003, 02:41 PM
mcduck

Uh-oh... time to take "Frankenstein" trick-or-treating... have a fun and save Halloween night everyone!
Old 10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
PropaGanda

Originally posted by mcduck
I'm sure this could be debated all day long, but I have always been told that, for the engine to run best, you need a little back pressure, but not too much. If that's true, then I would think hi-flow cats will produce better gains than straight test pipes. Who knows for sure?

I do know that I have none of the rattle/raspiness others using test pipes have described in the 3500-4000rpm range. Nothing but sweet, throaty exhaust music!

I think you misunderstood my question. I was just asking if the cats you are running now are better flowing cats or are they straight pipes. I believe you answered my question, however. They are better flowing cats. I agree that straight pipes sound like butt. Even when they have resonators in them they still sound awful. I really don't even know why that is. If they are made of the same material as the rest of the exhaust and they are the same size, then why do they sound different. I would think that the rest of the exhaust would sound raspy as well if it is made the same as a straight pipe (test pipe.) One thing test pipes do well, though, is give power. More power than freer flowing cats. I am not willing to sacrifice the awesome Z exhaust sound for 3 more horses. I have lotsa people come up to me and ask me when I got the aftermarket exhaust (I don't have one.) They can't believe the car sounds that good from the factory.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:50 AM
zzzya

mcduck, did you ever get this beast on a Dyno? Is everything done and working well?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:55 AM
mcduck

Exclamation Lightning Strikes Frankenstein!!!

It's been a while since an update...

First, I have not forgotten everyone here. I am taking the Z for a new dyno on Tuesday.

I have one minor issue with an exhaust leak. This appear to be nothing more than expansion/contraction of the parts and should go away with a snugging of the bolts that hold the cat pipes in place. No other issues to speak of. The car runs smooth and strong and sounds freakin' unbelievable! I'll have to try to get some video runs to post...

However, to satiate those waiting for dynos... two stories of how the Z is performing now.

The first comes courtesy of a buddy of mine who recently bought a new Ford Lightning. If you don't know how quick these things are already, do some research. They are absolutely beastly! He brought his down for us to do some trial runs.

Test #1 - We're on a single lane road with me in front of the Lightning. From a dead stop, I decide to show off a little and smoke the tires all the way through 1st and 2nd (popping clutch at around 2800rpm). I only finally get traction when I shift up to 3rd. When I look in my mirror, Bryan is pretty much on my butt the whole way. My guess is even with a launch where I'm shooting for traction, the Lightning may be just a tiny bit quicker (1-2 car lengths???). And let's be honest... with 450ftlbs of torque coming on at just above 3000rpm, he has a serious advantage out of the hole.

Test #2 - This was supposed to be a drop from 20 miles an hour. I hit the two lane, put the Z in 2nd and locked in at 20. Bryan comes around from behind me into the inside lane, but does not match speed. He nails the Lightning while he is behind me and is still going when he gets up beside my Z. At this point, I nail it but he already has a head of steam going. The Lightning gets about 5 car lengths due to the head start. At that point, I lock him in place and he gets no further ahead. Above 80, I start to pull him in but have to let up due to a quickly approaching red light!

Test #3 - We let the road clear out ahead and get side by side doing about 65mph. I'm in 4th gear and do not downshift to 3rd to race. Bryan counts off 3-2-1 and we both nail it. We stay completely even (remember, I'm in 4th gear not 3rd) again up until about 85mph or so. At that point, I just start pull ahead a little. Then, when I click into 5th, I just leave him pulling about a 2-3 car lengths ahead before we let up around 110-115mph

So, I gotta say I'm pretty pleased. The Lightning gets my Z down low, but up high I pull it back in. Considering the Lightning (with no mods) is a low 13 second truck, I think the Z is doing well. I believe over a 1/4, the race would be dead even, but with my Z getting a better trap speed.

But, today was the real test. I wanted to see how much a I gained. I met with Morris who owns a LSS 350Z with a Borla TD as the only mod. We hit the highway and did a side-by-side run.

Test #4 - Morris and I match speeds about 65mph and punch it. With his mostly stock Z, we stay pretty much side-by-side. if anything, he pulls maybe less than 1/4 car length on me. "WTF???" you ask...

Well, at 65mph, Morris was is in 3rd gear for the race and I left my Z in 4th. At that speed, my car was pulling as strong in 4th gear as his was in 3rd. Had I dropped to 3rd, I could have easily pulled away from him.

Hope the real world scenarios help show what was gained with my many mods. Dynos will be posted in a few days, but for me the real indicator is the seat of the pants measurements. In that respect, Frankenstein is meeting performance expectation and is exceeding aesthetic expectations!!!!

Quick Reply: My Frankenstein 350Z (...or how I added NA goodness!)