Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Had OC...going to buy GTM stage 1 shortblock...will my stock heads be fine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Wild350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had OC...going to buy GTM stage 1 shortblock...will my stock heads be fine???

So since i have a sludged up motor. Im going tp purchase the GTM stage 1 shortblock. It is my ABSOLUTE FINAL DECISION. Now will my stock heads be fine with this set up, especially if i go FI later on??? Just wondering if anyone else had OC problems and got a new shortblock and kept there heads?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:27 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many people that use stock heads for FI. The only concern would be how many miles you have on that valvetrain. If you have high mileage you might want to look into getting the head at least rebuild with new seals, valves, springs, etc.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed you have posted alot of threads in the past couple of weeks, ranging from how to adjust coilovers to what engine to buy. I am going to give you a bit advice, which I hope will inevitably save you alot of time, aggravation and money.

You need to clearly define what your goals are with this car, and what your realistic budget is, as well as your timetable for that budget. You also need to spend alot more time researching who is going to do the work for you (assuming you're not doing it yourself) and alot less time worrying about what cams to use, or whether your stock heads will work on a built shortblock. FWIW, yes the heads will go on, but if the engine actually has oil consumption or any oil related issue, your heads may benefit from being rebuilt as well. If people spent even 1/2 the time researching who really should do their work (from building the engine, to install/tuning) as they did bickering about one cam over another, or one headgasket over another, things would be alot different. I won't claim to know who the right person for you is, that is up to you to research and decide for yourself. I'm not in the shop-recommending business. What I can tell you is that the person is out there. I have done major builds on my own cars for the past 15 years, and have gone through 3 of them at this point. I've spent more money on this stuff than almost anyone of my customers, and I've had things go badly, go smoothly, and everything in between. It's been ultimately beneficial though, as it has taught me the value of patience, and in understanding what I am getting myself into before hand, rather than after. As with any major project, you have to prepare yourself for whether you are truly ready to embark on the journey of doing a build like this. It's not for everyone, and there is no harm in facing up to that. I know it sounds all mellowdramatic, but trust me, I know what I am talking about.

Posting up random questions that pop into your head is all well and good, but in order to truly enjoy the experience of going through a build, and avoid the pitfalls that seem to plague a very vocal portion of this community, I don't think I am off base in suggesting that you're putting the cart way, way before the horse.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Wild350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry im done posting threads now. I have learned all the information from FI for noobs lol. Thank you for the patience