Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What changes are taking place in manual mode 5at?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What changes are taking place in manual mode 5at?

Besides being able to shift manually, that is. I have noticed a couple things that change from full auto to manual mode. One my exhaust note is real quick to start it's raspy ways (Stillen test pipes & y-pipe to OEM). I was thinking maybe the throttle is program to open quicker to give a sporty feel with low input. The other is when I am on an open road with cruise set at 70mph in Manual mode the rpm is near 3000 in 5th on board mpg est 24.3, when in full auto the same speed the rpm is near 2750 on board mpg est.
26.5. I tested this within seconds of each other so nothing was different other than being in D now.

My 350z is a 05 35th, and after searching for info to my questions I was left with the common 5at stuff. I could not find anything that discussed what changes are involved with being in Manual mode besides the ability to shift manually.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
adamciya350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right about that, I explored (mastered now ) the manual mode. On a road trip I played around with the different modes and noticed the same thing with different rpms..

definietly notice a big difference when I stomp it though...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
dirtbikr

The torque converter does not lock up in any gear while in manual mode, so if you drive it around town in "M", once you get on the freeway and above 50 or 60MPH toss it in "D" so it can lock up. Easier on the tranny and better fuel economy. I drove mine strictly in "D" for the first year I owned it, but have been driving only in "M" now and love it, gives the car a whole new feel...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I am a novice when it come to auto transmissions.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 AM
dirtbikr

I was too, and I still feel that stick is the way to go, but I couldn't pass up the offer for the car and have been surprised every day with this auto. Others have left me wanting more, but I really enjoy this one... in "M" at least, "D" pisses me off.