Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

1 Quart Loss Per 1000 Miles Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM
zownz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Quart Loss Per 1000 Miles Normal?

So this is the story.
My Z has about 75k miles and its an 2004.5
I noticed that the Z was losing/burning oil and I decided to take it to the Nissan dealership in Roswell GA. We went through the 2 oil changes and every 1000 miles I come for a checkup they have to add a quart of oil. The service department manager was positive that Nissan would be dropping a new motor in my car because its burning almost 4 quarts between oil changes.

He called me back and is telling me that his superiors are telling him that 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal.
He also informed me that he will do some more calls and he knows that isn't the right answer.
I know that that no car should be burning 1 quart per 1000 miles unless there is something wrong with it.
My mods are very minor. Intake and a cat back.
Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone I could call and talk to?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Nissan Of America Direct i guess. Be like Frank Castle and bypass the middle man.

what kind of oil are you also using. And do you know if it is burning it? You would get a blueish kind of tint in the exhaust smoke if it is burning oil.

I say to be safe, pay some $ and take it to a local garage. Just to have them throw it on the lift and double check you do not have an oil leak somewhere. Just because it is the Dealer does not mean they are 100% safe and perfect.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
jeff91ta

My DD has 182K miles and burns and leaks NO oil. Your Z certainly shouldn't be burning anything.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
zownz

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Call Nissan Of America Direct i guess. Be like Frank Castle and bypass the middle man.

what kind of oil are you also using. And do you know if it is burning it? You would get a blueish kind of tint in the exhaust smoke if it is burning oil.

I say to be safe, pay some $ and take it to a local garage. Just to have them throw it on the lift and double check you do not have an oil leak somewhere. Just because it is the Dealer does not mean they are 100% safe and perfect.
I run mobile synthetic 5w-30, the last oil changes were done at the dealer with their oil.
I park my car in the garage and the bottom of the car is dry. No leaks anywhere on the garage floor either. I crawled under the car many times to check on things.
When I floor the car with a friend following, we cant see any dark smoke.
Its just weird. The car runs pretty strong too. =/
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
My DD has 182K miles and burns and leaks NO oil. Your Z certainly shouldn't be burning anything.
That's a little ignorant considering Zs are assembled in different locations around the world. Also, does your perfect high mileage Z offer this guy any help?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kacz07
That's a little ignorant considering Zs are assembled in different locations around the world. Also, does your perfect high mileage Z offer this guy any help?
The OP has "is it normal" in the title and seems to me this guy just answered the question. If it is not normal with his high mileage, it should not be normal
for a car with half that mileage. "Ignorant" is a bit strong IMHO
Short answer to the OP - no it is not normal. Not sure it is going to be covered though.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be 4 quarts oil/4,000 miles. No need to do periodic oil changes. You already change the oil.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def. not normal...end of story call someone who knows and can take care of u
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aren't the 05.5's and 06's the model years that consume?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zownz
So this is the story.
My Z has about 75k miles and its an 2004.5
I noticed that the Z was losing/burning oil and I decided to take it to the Nissan dealership in Roswell GA. We went through the 2 oil changes and every 1000 miles I come for a checkup they have to add a quart of oil. The service department manager was positive that Nissan would be dropping a new motor in my car because its burning almost 4 quarts between oil changes.

He called me back and is telling me that his superiors are telling him that 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal.
He also informed me that he will do some more calls and he knows that isn't the right answer.
I know that that no car should be burning 1 quart per 1000 miles unless there is something wrong with it.
My mods are very minor. Intake and a cat back.
Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone I could call and talk to?
I hope you have an extended warranty. Otherwise, you're out of the factory warranty and you'll be paying for a new engine anyway.

Have you owned this Z the whole time or did you buy it used? If you've had it the whole time and it's only recently started burning oil, then it's not a factory defect like the 2005/2006 rev-ups suffer. If you bought it used, chances are it's had this problem for a while.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
Aren't the 05.5's and 06's the model years that consume?
The rev-ups are more known to consume, but many of the earlier models will consume oil as well - especially thinner, synthetic oils. Our 04 ZR burns about 1/2 qt per 1000 miles.

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I hope you have an extended warranty. Otherwise, you're out of the factory warranty and you'll be paying for a new engine anyway.
Agreed. Just have to deal with it now. Add a quart every 1000 and be done with it. OP - I've seen Zs burn more oil when the run a synthetic, especially a thin one like a 5W. You can either deal with it (no big deal) or try conventional oil. I actually bought an oil-burner engine as a replacement for my track car because they are WAY cheaper, low miles, and little hassle. It burned 1qt the first 1000 miles before I tracked it - which IS within the Nissan spec, but was still replaced, however, I change the oil every 500 miles anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly how much oil does the dealer put into the Z. 5 qts or less? The dipsticks on these cars are not really that accurate regardless due to the design. The newer z after the DE was a redesign that has a better accuracy of oil measurement.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

exactly how much oil does the dealer put into the Z. 5 qts or less? The dipsticks on these cars are not really that accurate regardless due to the design. The newer z after the DE was a redesign that has a better accuracy of oil measurement.
It's accurate if you let the oil drain back for at least 10 minutes after driving or running it. The dealer should be using 5 qts.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
zownz

I did own the car the entire time and I do have extended warranty. Thank god i purchased it when my original warranty expired.

The dealer also fills it up with 5 quarts and I am always there when they do it. I do not trust anything they do. They always either manage to scratch something and say "oh it was already like that when you brought it here".

But yeah i did call up 1800 nissan 1 and they documented everything I said. The Service manager told me they would be putting in a new motor if it keeps on doing that. But he called me and explained to me that his superiors or the main engineers at Nissan said that its normal. So we will see whats gonna happen. That is almost an entire oil change between oil changes. Thats not reasonable or right.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I did own the car the entire time and I do have extended warranty. Thank god i purchased it when my original warranty expired.

The dealer also fills it up with 5 quarts and I am always there when they do it. I do not trust anything they do. They always either manage to scratch something and say "oh it was already like that when you brought it here".

But yeah i did call up 1800 nissan 1 and they documented everything I said. The Service manager told me they would be putting in a new motor if it keeps on doing that. But he called me and explained to me that his superiors or the main engineers at Nissan said that its normal. So we will see whats gonna happen. That is almost an entire oil change between oil changes. Thats not reasonable or right.
They have a specific procedure they have to follow to prove or disprove that an engine is an oil burner. They allow 1qt/1000 miles, but not more than 1qt. To their advantage, you'd be hard-pressed to prove it burned 1.1qts in 1000 miles (putting you into warranty coverage) versus 0.9qts or 1qt, disallowing the warranty coverage. Stick with it.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
zownz

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

Have you owned this Z the whole time or did you buy it used? If you've had it the whole time and it's only recently started burning oil, then it's not a factory defect like the 2005/2006 rev-ups suffer. If you bought it used, chances are it's had this problem for a while.
Originally Posted by scotts300
They have a specific procedure they have to follow to prove or disprove that an engine is an oil burner. They allow 1qt/1000 miles, but not more than 1qt. To their advantage, you'd be hard-pressed to prove it burned 1.1qts in 1000 miles (putting you into warranty coverage) versus 0.9qts or 1qt, disallowing the warranty coverage. Stick with it.
Oh I see. Thats good info..and it is probably more than 1qt..I'll be there to measure it with them right then and there when they do. Even if it means they drain it every 1k miles.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 AM
drivessidewayz

Do the replacement specs differ between non-revups and revups? Cuz the TSB says 1/3qt per 1k for revups.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...iscussion.html
Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or unless it is a rotary. ;-)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:59 PM
dirtbikr

Definitely not normal but still technically within specs... When they do a consumption test on it and if they don't throw a tracker box in there, make sure every time you come off the freeway you downshift to slow down and bring her up high. That's when the majority of the oil will pass the rings, and it should be quite easy to bring that number above 1qt per 1K miles.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 PM
badluckz

97k 0n my 03...same problem, noticed my oil pressure dropping at 4k rpm... was waaaaaaay low on oil... I was told i have a valve cover gasket leak($900 fix at dealership, no thanks!) but i never find oil on the ground and lately i've been driving maybe once a week... maybe its pooling somewhere in the engine bay and burning off?
I never smell it. weird.

Quick Reply: 1 Quart Loss Per 1000 Miles Normal?