Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Southbend Clutch. Who else has one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\/\/\
Had the stage 5-b installed in mine during the chagnes....will have it back when i get back from vaca after next week and hope to have same impressions as you..

tom
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope that you will also like it but your power delivery is going to be way higher and different than mine so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you. How much different is the 5-b compared to the regular DXD-B?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom had the DXD-FE stage 5 which is a full feramic lining on both sides of the disk, Holds lots of TQ for a long time. His new one is the same as yours with a bit more clamp load to hold his POWA

Glad you like the DXD-B, It will be killer for you at the drag strip!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 AM
maximariceboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm looking into the southbend stage 5 clutch kit. Hows the pedal feel? Is it ok to drive around as a DD without FI? going FI early next year I currently have a JWT clutch and flywheel combo at my dads shop. which would be a better option? I'm using this as a daily but also would like to have some fun on the high way. I'm trying to hit roughly 600whp on the greddy tt kit. Please...some opinion! thanks!

Last edited by maximariceboi; 10-06-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
Interesting thread. I'm looking into the southbend stage 5 clutch kit. Hows the pedal feel? Is it ok to drive around as a DD without FI? going FI early next year I currently have a JWT clutch and flywheel combo at my dads shop. which would be a better option? I'm using this as a daily but also would like to have some fun on the high way. I'm trying to hit roughly 600whp on the greddy tt kit. Please...some opinion! thanks!
Which stage 5? Street kit or 6 Puck?

The Stage 5 6 puck actually tends to drive pretty well with the lighter pressure plate. Others have it on here I am sure they will post on how it drives.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have RPS clutch and flywheel and couldnt b happier
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
maximariceboi

I'm looking at the stage 5 street disc clutch kit along with a fidanza flywheel. Is it harsh or very light pedal feel? I don't like light pedal feel on the clutch. i have a ACT HD 6puck clutch on my maxima and i love it.

I also want to compare with the southbend and JWT clutch kits...thanks

Last edited by maximariceboi; 10-06-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm looking at the stage 5 street disc clutch kit along with a fidanza flywheel. Is it harsh or very light pedal feel? I don't like light pedal feel on the clutch. i have a ACT HD 6puck clutch on my maxima and i love it.

I also want to compare with the southbend and JWT clutch kits...thanks
If you like the 6 puck stick with it for the Z, It is not harsh. Pedal feel on the stage 5 is not real heavy but not light either. It still has 2700-2900bs of clamp load so it's no wimp.
The new 6 puck design with the bigger pucks has smoothed out the engagement, Provided longer life and is just a blast to drive.

I personally like the 6 puck much better than the stage 5 street kit as do others that have had both.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
J's 350z!

Interesting thread. Im leaning towards this company I like their flywheel from it sounds like with no chatter. Im looking into getting the stage 2 and flywheel since my cars daily driver and no fi just bolt ons for now. But that should still leave an ok room for a supercharger or small single turbo.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:51 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We never have a problem standing behind our products when a problem is our fault. You won't be dissatisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveSB:
Jeffrey Parker (04-30-2021), Tran251 (06-25-2019)
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
maximariceboi

Is the pressure plate on the stage 5 street disc clutch kit the same as the 6 puck kit?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Is the pressure plate on the stage 5 street disc clutch kit the same as the 6 puck kit?
Basically the same, May be set-up a little different because of the difference in disk thickness.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM
maximariceboi

Oh ok so they use the same pressure plate but disc are different. I'm trying to pick up a stage 5 kit off of someone, its brand new so I was wondering if I can use the 6 puck disc. If I can use it, can you quote me the price of the 6 puck disc? thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 05:55 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Oh ok so they use the same pressure plate but disc are different. I'm trying to pick up a stage 5 kit off of someone, its brand new so I was wondering if I can use the 6 puck disc. If I can use it, can you quote me the price of the 6 puck disc? thanks
The pressure plates will be set-up slightly different to work with the different disk, If using a full face kit pressure plate and wanting to use a 6 puck disk with said pressure plate it should work ok, Should not do it the other way though.
I would recommend however to just get the kit together as it would be set-up perfectly with each other.

Will PM price on disk.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
IslandZavage

anyone running the southbend 6 puck ceramic on built motor FI that can give me a review b4 i buy?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
anyone running the southbend 6 puck ceramic on built motor FI that can give me a review b4 i buy?
JR350z08 HR Stage 5, 6 puck
Dubai Stage 5, 6 puck
thom000001 (stage 5/6 Xtreme 3600lb clamp load)

Just a few if you want to contact them, There are more I can look back through if you like.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Review from another member Gabe3d
Got the DXD-B installed last night with my old Unorthodox Flywheel and by far the best clutch I've tried.

+ Daily drivability is just as good as OEM and way better than the OFE stage3. This was a big concern of mine going to a 6 pucks design since I still drive my car on the road.

+ I haven't pushed it yet (500 miles breakin) but it is noticeably different, in a positive way,when grabbing.

+ Shifting is much more predictable and consistent.

Next week I will be heading over to the drag strip and see how this baby holds up, but so far absolutely no regret.
Last edited by gabe3d; 05-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
nightcrawler_8

i am using the DXD stage 5 kit with JWT flywheel.

my car is not daily driver, but i use it in the weekends to go many places,

FROM ZERO : its not the best clutch when lunching the car from zero ( cruising ) i would give it 5/10 (IMO) , but its just amazing when you try to lunch it from Zero ( draging) i would give it 9.5/10 ( IMO )

While CRUISING : its really soft and easy to drive and no matter how fast you shift it will always hold ( at least for me ) ... i have even tried power shift and it feels amazing and holds perfectly without any slip at all.

i didnt try yet on the track, but will post a review on the product very soon.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

bandwagon chime in.. i have 91k miles on a 2005 enthus and the FACTORY ORIG CLUTCH.. un real.. and it is juuuuustarting to slip a touch, but i really feel its not holding the power it should anymore.. i cant see the rpms shoot up, but i can feel the acceleration slipping a touch, yet i have no burn smell etc at all..

@CustompartZ..

I daily drive in moderate rush hour traffic, NEVER track or race, but enjoy snappy driving etc... and want a great overall feel of quality w the clutchs engagement, pedal feel, and ability to disapate heat.. I also figure i should replace the flywheel.. and i DO NOT want to add noise, so I hear the SBC flywheel is the way to go... ive had problems w lightweight flywheels warping in the past on my Z32..

heres what I want.. i want a heat disapating flywheel and clutch combo that will last me like this OEM has.. and i would like something that may handle torque of a 75 hp shot of window switched progressive nitrous later this next year..

Reccomendations?

thanks.. this is my next move.

Last edited by bmccann101; 11-03-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: unclear
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bmccann101
bandwagon chime in.. i have 91k miles on a 2005 enthus and the FACTORY ORIG CLUTCH.. un real.. and it is juuuuustarting to slip a touch, but i really feel its not holding the power it should anymore.. i cant see the rpms shoot up, but i can feel the acceleration slipping a touch, yet i have no burn smell etc at all..

@CustompartZ..

I daily drive in moderate rush hour traffic, NEVER track or race, but enjoy snappy driving etc... and want a great overall feel of quality w the clutchs engagement, pedal feel, and ability to disapate heat.. I also figure i should replace the flywheel.. and i DO NOT want to add noise, so I hear the SBC flywheel is the way to go... ive had problems w lightweight flywheels warping in the past on my Z32..

heres what I want.. i want a heat disapating flywheel and clutch combo that will last me like this OEM has.. and i would like something that may handle torque of a 75 hp shot of window switched progressive nitrous later this next year..

Reccomendations?

thanks.. this is my next move.
I am assuming on your Z32 you used an inserted aluminum flywheel or a cheap stamped out "forged" piece?

The DXD flywheel keeps the trans pretty quite compared to the other LW flywheels out, I have some people that say it doesnt make peep, and some that say it is a bit louder at idle but overall not unpleasant at all.

I basically do the same type of driving you do, I have been running the Kevlar kit (I have the SS Pressure plate with it) for 2 seasons now and in absolute love with it, It has done everything I wanted it to do, Smooth street, Drag raced on it and daily beatings and has not missed a beat.

Kevlar will last at least twice as long as the organic stock material. With your driving style and judging from the length of time on your stock clutch the Stage 2 will serve you very well for many years and miles.

Stage 2 will have a nice feel at the pedal and hold around 475TQ

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 11-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Southbend Clutch. Who else has one?