Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT HDSS & Streetlite Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:54 PM
JPsZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT HDSS & Streetlite Review

About 3 weeks ago a friend and I did an ACT HDSS & Streetlite flywheel install on my car. I have about 76k on my car and although the clutch was not slipping while in gear, it just didn't grab as well so I decided it was time for it to be replaced even though I thought I could have lasted through the end of the summer with no problems if I had to. About a year ago I installed a Nismo SS clutch line and replaced my clutch slave with a new OEM slave as I had pedal sticking issues in weather over 95 degrees.
The install was a breeze and there were no obstacles. At first impression, the pedal was stiff as hell. The engagement point was lower then my factory setup (my oem setup engaged almost at the top), but not as low as I expected. It probably engaged right at the middle of full travel (50%). Flywheel noise is actually quieter then stock at idle, but in gear it does make noise below 1800 rpms which to me isn't a big deal.

Moving along 750 miles later......

Pedal stiffness has decreased by about 30% from day of install. Its still stiffer then stock. It grabs nicely when racing through gears. Easing out of 1st is just as easy as stock. Making it smooth is not a problem. I actually wish I went with the HDG6 which is the sprung 6puck, but I thought I would get the most longevity out of the disc so I chose that. As for the pedal engagement, its right back toward the top of travel which really annoys me. I can literally press the clutch about 20-25% down while in gear and it will rev up freely. I thought about playing with the pedal adjustment, but haven't gotten to that yet. I'd probably have to adjust the sensor that activates the cruise control too, but I'm not sure if that's going too far. Other then the engagement point I'm completely happy with my setup so far.

Last edited by JPsZ; 05-23-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
JPsZ

I also used to have a problem with a shuddering/hopping feeling when coming out of 1st sometimes. This is all gone with my new clutch.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 PM
blknblk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for posting the review. Just a heads up, I went with the HDG6 and have the shutter from first. Engagement is pretty quick and on the harsh side IMO and definately takes some getting used to. It doesnt help that I have a Prolite Flywheel. Im actually considering the street disc that you have.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:41 PM
JPsZ

How long have you had the clutch? try giving a bit more gas or rev a tad higher when coming out of first to remedy some of the shudder.