Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 Z wont start....sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
garrettb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Z wont start....sometimes

I have been having a weird issue with my 2003 Z. 75% of the time when i try to start the car, it wont. all of the electrical system light (stereo, dash, etc) turn on but thats it. when i turn the key it doesnt even crank. it eventually always starts...maybe after 2 turns of the key or 100. I also have a few methods that seem to work (maybe placebo and luck) the best seems to be when i pump the clutch and turn the key rapidly. Also had luck starting it after moving the shifter in and out of gears.

any ideas or anyone with similar problems?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming the battery is good, and that the engine turns over at the normal cranking speed when it does finally work.

If that's the case, I'd look at the clutch switch. It normally keeps you from starting the engine if the clutch isn't pressed down.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 AM
garrettb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think thats it...if i press it in with my finger it starts with less turns....is this an easy repair?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pressing it with your fingers may not get it to work any better than the normal pedal motion, but definitely give it a try. You can also disconnect the connector and jumper across the pins to make sure it's the switch that's causing the trouble. Just be careful you don't start the car with it in gear when you try it.

The adjustment of the switch is covered on page CL-5 of the 2007 service manual. The wiring for the start circuit in in section SC of the service manual.

The clutch switch should be an easy fix. You might also have a problem in the starter relay, starter solenoid, the ignition switch, or any of the wiring. Let's hope it's the easy fix. From what I've read, the switch costs about $30 at the dealer. There have been several threads here about the clutch switch causing problems.

Last edited by winchman; 09-04-2010 at 05:25 AM.