Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Sticking????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:57 AM
GATORZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Sticking????????

On 2 seperate ocassions over the last month and a half my clutch peddle has stuck when depressed to the floor. Both times it occured under a SOMEWHAT aggressive launch....Not lighting up the tires or anything just getting on it. The first time I didn't think much of it but the second time it hit the rev limiter and smelt real bad. Any thoughts. Pressure Plate???? Not my first 6 speed!

Thanks, Dan
Old 12-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have the dealer look at it - - I had a similar experience while racing my Z28 in the SCCA runoffs several years ago, eventually the clutch pedal stayed on the floor - - it ened up being the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder - simple part to replace, cost me a lot that day. Hard to tell, yours is the first I've heard about on 350Z - - I've had no problems - - I've go 16,000 miles on my Z.

Good Luck,
Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 03:16 AM
GATORZ

Default Warranty?

Do you guys think this would be under warranty? 8000 miles. Would the dealer try to call this a wear item since it has to do with the clutch?

Dan
Old 12-02-2003, 07:22 PM
CaneZMD

That happened to me once too, but never again. Oh well, I'll take
it to the dealer if it happened again.

Hey gatorZ, You guys got worked by those ACC refs on Saturday, huh? Wow, I felt like I was watching last years Tostito's Fiasco bowl again.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:21 AM
GATORZ

Default refs

Hey gatorZ, You guys got worked by those ACC refs on Saturday, huh? Wow, I felt like I was watching last years Tostito's Fiasco bowl again.

That's the way it goes when you have a so-so season. They should not have let themselves get in that situation to start with.
Always next year. Side note....Still much better season then Penn State. Living in PA this year has been fun
Old 12-03-2003, 04:53 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that happen to me once, and it turned out that my floor mat had come loose and worked it's way to the front of the footwell. When I pushed the clucth pedal down, it caught under the forward lip of the floor mat and wouldn't release. It caused a VERY anxious moment until I realized what it was. It might be something to check on yours, just in case. Good luck.

Gary
Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 AM
noahbuddy

I've experienced that as well, but it was after two mods so I'm not sure if it's related. On an agressive launch, I noticed the cluch petal didn't return all the way up. Didn't feel like it was slipping or anything. It's happened a couple of times since I've had the tranny replaced and the procharger installed.

GatorZ, do you have any mods or new tranny?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 AM
GATORZ

Default Mods

Only have the Borla TD at this time. The thing that worries me is that smell had to be the clutch burning. Checked the mat and it is fine. No slip in the clutch or anything like that....it just stayed at the floor and caused me to rev the engine. As soon as I got off the gas it came back up. I'm more worried about clutch damage than what caused it to stick. I don't notice anything different in shifting.....2nd gear is still notchy as always, don't have any real grinding that has suggested getting the tranny checked or replaced. My production date is in the range for the replacement from what I have read here. Still wonder if I will get any crap about the clutch being a wear part and not being under warranty. Hope to get it in to the dealer ASAP but I know they will not be able to make it happen and will probably burn the clutch trying. I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks, Dan
Old 12-04-2003, 08:29 AM
350Z_Redline

The problem I've been having with my clutch is the pedal feel getting softer. I can also smell the clutch burning on occasion. But I drag race my car a lot so I'm sure it has more than normal wear. The first time it happened was when I launched at the track, when I went to shift into 2nd I pushed the clutch straight to the floor and it had VERY little resistance but it did rebound. The clutch pedal is still currently softer than normal and I'm noticing the that it's now engaging near the top when it used to engage about half way up. My guess is that whatever piece makes the clutch pedal rebound (I'm not sure since this is my first manual tranny car) is either weak of faulty. I'm getting a new tranny, clutch pedal and JWT flywheel & clutch installed next week so I'm not worried about it anymore. But I'd definitely have it checked out since it didn't rebound at all for you.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:40 AM
2003z

that happened to me once, about a year ago, and never again.