Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

tune tune tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 06:30 AM
slidewayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune tune tune

What is everyones advice on the best Piggyback fuel system. I'm looking at apex'i now, or maybe HKS. Trying to figure out the pro's and con's of the systems that are on the market right now. I'm sure I'll be ordering one in a week or so.

Any advice anyone may have would be helpful.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:32 AM
azrael

I'm still hoping and praying AEM will make a version of the EMS for the Z33.

I can't say I'm happy with any of the current offerings.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
ravaz

I'm really hoping that AEM makes an EMS for the Z also, but doesn't look too good. Last I heard they had no plans. That was 2 months ago when I put a phone call into them, so I'm not sure if plans have changed. I'd think you'd be stupid not to get in on the Z's aftermarket, especially with the EMS.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
kudos

Ya AEM would be nice but its full stan alone and so is the Apexi Power FC. Now the HKS FCON V Pro would be the best choice its a piggy back that would outperform just about any standalone but the only problem is that only 2 or 3 shops are certified to tune it in the states.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:20 AM
azrael

I'd buy an AEM EMS or Apex'i Power FC in 2 seconds, if they were available, with preference on the AEM EMS.. but I've called them and posted messages on their forum, and haven't gotten a single response.

The tech on the phone said they weren't planning it at the moment, and suggested posting on the forum.

Why does everyone seem to think the HKS FCON V Pro is so much better than every other ECU? Does it include english instructions? If so.. I don't need a tuner. By the time I buy an ECU, I plan to have a wideband O2 setup, as well as EGT, timing monitors, etc. I could easily tune it myself.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
ravaz

Don't they sell a universal AEM EMS? My buddy is trying to talk me into letting him tune my car with it, he said we'll probably have to move some sensors around etc.. But said we should be able to do it.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ravaz
Don,t let him near it .
The CV valve timing on the inlet camshaft is a very hard beast to tame with aftermarket ECU,s. & its this that gives the Z its incredable low down TQ.
Sure you can peg the inlet cam using a VQ30 gear but dont forget to plug the front of the cam where the oil comes out to suply the cam phaser. You may make more top end power but will make less below 5000rpm
You already have one of the most sofisiticated ECU,s fitted as OE & remember this is fully flashable.
The problem is you need a Tectom unit to do it & the only one I know of outside Japan is Tadashi at TS.
If there was one here in Australia most of my problems would be over
Old 12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
ravaz

I knew it would be more trouble then anything. I actually got something else we are trying, butttt not for another month, got to finish up w/ my car's current mess first.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:47 PM
azrael

Originally posted by Nathan
ravaz
Don,t let him near it .
The CV valve timing on the inlet camshaft is a very hard beast to tame with aftermarket ECU,s. & its this that gives the Z its incredable low down TQ.
Sure you can peg the inlet cam using a VQ30 gear but dont forget to plug the front of the cam where the oil comes out to suply the cam phaser. You may make more top end power but will make less below 5000rpm
You already have one of the most sofisiticated ECU,s fitted as OE & remember this is fully flashable.
The problem is you need a Tectom unit to do it & the only one I know of outside Japan is Tadashi at TS.
If there was one here in Australia most of my problems would be over
can you elaborate on what you know about the "CV Valve timing" and the cam phasing? I'm at a loss trying to come up with what "CV" stands for. I'm familiar with cam phasing, but I don't know how it's done mechanically. I'd appreciate any explaination you might be able to provide.

It's really unfortunate that we already have an extremely sophisticated ECU with flashable parameters, yet cannot program it without an extremely expensive setup that is prohibitively expensive even for most shops to purchase. If we could decipher the data storage on the Flash ROM, perhaps something like LS1 Edit would be possible for the Z's ECU. What a godsend that would be.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

azrarl

CV is short for continuosly vairable.
The intake valve timing control solinoid valve is activated by on/off pulse duty signals from the ECU.
This solinoid valve changes the oil amount & direction of flow to the cam phaser (rotary vane), longer pulse width = advance. Shorter pulse width = retard. When on/of pulse width become the same the solinoid valve stops oil pressure flow to fix the the timing in one position.
The oil is directed to either side of the rotary vane & from memory I think it has about a 40deg adjustment.