Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Help! I Need a New Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
DViper0020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Good advice here.

I'd also suggest an OEM level or Stage 1 clutch. Exedy is great, and my choice on my personal cars. PM us for a price.
I got the Exedy Oem Pro Kit clutch kit from ups today. If I would have got this post sooner I would have pm'd you for a price. Oh well, I've heard good things about exedy, so I went with it.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave me some advice. Once it's in the car, I'll post on the thread how I like it. It'll be a while though, I just *severely* (the doctor said) sprained my ankle a couple days ago, so I gotta take it easy. The worst part about it all is that it's my left ankle, so it's going to suck ***** trying to drive my car...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM
DViper0020

Here's an update!

The last couple days my brother and I tore my car apart and took out the trans. We took out the clutch and that thing was shot. It was ground down to the rivets that hold onto the friction material and there was burnt up material/soot all over the bell housing. Awesome. The flywheel was also a bit rough. (It had some gouges in it)

Yesterday we put the new clutch and flywheel in it and put the trans up in the car. I just tightened the trans and everything down last night and left my exhaust off since I knew I'd have to do a trans fluid change today anyway.

Today I changed my trans fluid, got my driveshaft in, and put the exhaust on. When I took it for a drive the first thing I noticed was how light the clutch felt. And the engagement point was so much different, so much more like a clutch should feel; engaging just off the floor as opposed to almost all the way up. It was awesome. I definitely noticed the lighter flywheel too. Seems like my car accelerates a bit faster. There is a little chatter, but I don't even care. It drives the best it has since I've owned it. I did stall it once though...Lol. At a stop light, I forgot just how soon that the new clutch engages and I let off a bit too quick...I felt like a 16 year old boy who just got to drive his dad's five speed for the first time... Oh well, I love the way my Z drives now! I appreciate all the info that everyone gave me on this thread! Thank you!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
805350z

How much lighter did it feel? Mines a ton of bricks, not that im complaining.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
DViper0020

Originally Posted by 805350z
How much lighter did it feel? Mines a ton of bricks, not that im complaining.
Uhh...I was trying to figure out a way to describe the way it felt, but I really don't know. Lighter than the stock clutch that I replaced. Haha. When I first pushed in the clutch I was a little concerned that I may need to bleed the slave cylinder.