Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cusco LSD rebuild problem HELP!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM
blknblk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cusco LSD rebuild problem HELP!

I rebuilt my RS LSD 60% lock up with new clutch plates (LSD 001 24) and Motul 90PA and now I have a "welded diff". The damn thing is locked up and I don't know why. I am chirping/scrubbing my tires everywhere and when I jack up one rear tire I cant rotate it by hand (which I could do before the rebuild). Maybe the spyder gears are not rotating for some reason or the clutch plates are compressed too tightly and not allowed to slip? Anyone experience this or have any advice before I tear into it again?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you sure you stacked the plates in the correct order?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
blknblk

Yeah I printed out the diagram and stacked them to 60%. I put oil in between the plates as I stacked. I remember majority of the stack was two plates with the "teeth" on the inside then two plates with the "teeth" on the outside etc etc.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mayby pull em apart and let them sit over night in a bucket of oil. while im not expert, when i have done things like this(trans or rearend) and asked people ive always been told to let any clutch packs like that sit in the oil they will be used in for a minimum of 24 hours to allow it to soak into the plates some. worst case is it dosnt work and allows you to reverify how you stacked it, since its going to have to come apart anyway to fix whatever is messed up. also gona need to pull the cover up and jack up the whole rear end see whats happening inside.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM
blknblk

Alright so I tore it apart again. I found out that if I tighten the 5 allen screws that hold the carrier together it compresses the plates too much. If I loosen the screws so that I have a 0.017" gap between the two carrier halves, the clutch plates are allowed to slip (with decent effort). I am thinking the clutch plates are slightly too thick. If each of the 20 plates is .001" thicker than it should be I will run into this problem. I am going to try to contact someone that can help me out. I see two solutions, thinner clutch plates or thinner "washers" (the ones that are in contact with the outer most clutch plates inside the carrier)

Last edited by blknblk; 09-10-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
rallysportdirect
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know what you are using for your info, but I have found that this provides a lot of good info on Cusco's LSD's.

http://www.cuscousainc.com/pdf/CUSCO_LSD_GUIDE.pdf

You may want to consider getting a Torque Check SST to check the initial torque of your LSD before reinstalling it.

If you can not figure out what your issue is after going through the LSD Guide maybe give Cusco a call. 714-907-0033

I am personally not familiar with an issue like this and just though I could share some good info with you. Hopefully something helps you figure this out.

Thanks,
Dallin

Last edited by rallysportdirect; 09-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM
SeattleZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blknblk
I rebuilt my RS LSD 60% lock up with new clutch plates (LSD 001 24) and Motul 90PA and now I have a "welded diff". The damn thing is locked up and I don't know why. I am chirping/scrubbing my tires everywhere and when I jack up one rear tire I cant rotate it by hand (which I could do before the rebuild). Maybe the spyder gears are not rotating for some reason or the clutch plates are compressed too tightly and not allowed to slip? Anyone experience this or have any advice before I tear into it again?
Where did you buy a Cusco Type RS clutch plates or a rebuild kit? I'm scouring the internet but can't find it.
I had to make an account just to ask!