Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is regular gas safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM
R350Zz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I wouldn't risk it at all.
so what would u have done gas lines hours long 350z your only car and any station that gets gas only gets 87 please enlighten us.

p.s. i drive 80 miles a day i only went to work in back to try and make a tank last.
and the o.p. goes to school in west bumble****
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 AM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
so what would u have done gas lines hours long 350z your only car and any station that gets gas only gets 87 please enlighten us.

p.s. i drive 80 miles a day i only went to work in back to try and make a tank last.

I dont think people who arent from here realize how bad it actually is. People are getting guns pulled on them over gas. Literally 3-4 hour waits extending 1-2 miles back from the station. They are even camping out on the side of the road in line waiting for a tanker to come. Luckily I found some premium but I bet it wont be there today. Beggers cant be choosers .
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i had to do this for 2 days durring our gas shortage i get really crappy gas mileage on 87
Detonation will cause misfires which then puts raw fuel into the exhaust. Basically wastes gas.

Originally Posted by DBTre50z
Thanks for the inputs. I drove about 35 miles like an asian grandma on a mix of regular and premium.
Mixing with 93 is an acceptable method. 50/50 would put it about 90 octane and the factory tune is for around 90/91 (since 91 is "premium" in a lot of locations).

Originally Posted by DBTre50z

I dont think people who arent from here realize how bad it actually is. People are getting guns pulled on them over gas. Literally 3-4 hour waits extending 1-2 miles back from the station. They are even camping out on the side of the road in line waiting for a tanker to come. Luckily I found some premium but I bet it wont be there today. Beggers cant be choosers .

Makes you really appreciate the low life people that make up the unfortunate majority in this country. It saddens me to know I spent 8 years of my life as a Sergeant defending this country only to have people act like that. Give me welfare so I don't have to work and let me rob the people that pay my welfare.

I'm not from there and never will be. I think living in large cities is just asking for problems but my unit went down and cleaned up Katrina so I know EXACTLY how it is. The damage is extensive over on the east coast but we were picking up floating bodies for weeks down in the gulf. At least FEMA stayed around down there to help instead of leaving a few days after the re-election.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by binder
Detonation will cause misfires which then puts raw fuel into the exhaust. Basically wastes gas.

Mixing with 93 is an acceptable method. 50/50 would put it about 90 octane and the factory tune is for around 90/91 (since 91 is "premium" in a lot of locations).

Makes you really appreciate the low life people that make up the unfortunate majority in this country. It saddens me to know I spent 8 years of my life as a Sergeant defending this country only to have people act like that. Give me welfare so I don't have to work and let me rob the people that pay my welfare.

I'm not from there and never will be. I think living in large cities is just asking for problems but my unit went down and cleaned up Katrina so I know EXACTLY how it is. The damage is extensive over on the east coast but we were picking up floating bodies for weeks down in the gulf. At least FEMA stayed around down there to help instead of leaving a few days after the re-election.
we dont live in big citys me and the o p we both livbe in the i guess you would call the suburbs
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

20 miles from the largest city in the US is "city" in my eyes. Plus you kind of have to drive through new york to get anywhere since you are out on a peninsula.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

like ive said several times you go spend 40 bucks on 2 gallons of xylene and you have the exact same thing as 91 pump gas when mixed with 13 gallons of 87. literally there is no difference you are doing the same thing the refinery is doing it just cost you more. 40 bucks is alot cheaper then a new engine amazing how people ignore **** because they dont like the answer.

if you dont want to spend that get rid of the z or buy a beater

Last edited by jerryd87; 11-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
R350Zz33

20 miles from the largest city in the US is "city" in my eyes. Plus you kind of have to drive through new york to get anywhere since you are out on a peninsula.
I live 75 miles from the city we don't have to go through the city you can but you don't have too
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... so many rustled jimmies in this thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM
jninja26

Bust out the rain coats.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
Damn... so many rustled jimmies in this thread.
one of my favorite threads in a long time.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by jerryd87
like ive said several times you go spend 40 bucks on 2 gallons of xylene and you have the exact same thing as 91 pump gas when mixed with 13 gallons of 87. literally there is no difference you are doing the same thing the refinery is doing it just cost you more. 40 bucks is alot cheaper then a new engine amazing how people ignore **** because they dont like the answer.

if you dont want to spend that get rid of the z or buy a beater
this has nothing to do with not spending me in the op live in an area affected by the super storm with gas shortages and them only bring 87. me and the op both have no problem spending the money for 93 i was gonna go spend the $100 for 5 gallons of vp myself but scored some 93. again this has nothing to do with money but had everything to do with a shortage do to people having no power and needing gas for gennys and what not.
and the only place that i know that sells xylene is hardware stores like my job and thats not the same xylene you wanna use for your car its not pure.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 AM
R350Zz33

and before you comment again watch this video see the line thats how it was at every station well the 30% that were still open the other %70 had no gas or no power to pump the gas lipa had 800,000 homes with no power either.

now on to the beater comment how does that help us
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
djamps

I use this at the track and it works:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1904945...Types&var=sbar
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM
oldschool350z

I have two cars so I would take the one that doesn't require premium fuel.

Most Z owners in NY don't drive their car in winter so they generally have something else.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your eyes mean nothing when 20 miles from the city ca put you in multi million dollar homes with acres of property, and no you never go through the city to leave.

And to the 2 of you, I don't understand how you don't have a beater living up here. In a 2 week span we've gotten a hurricane, nor easter with snow and now about 60 degrees. You never know wth is happeneing up here.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Your eyes mean nothing when 20 miles from the city ca put you in multi million dollar homes with acres of property, and no you never go through the city to leave.

And to the 2 of you, I don't understand how you don't have a beater living up here. In a 2 week span we've gotten a hurricane, nor easter with snow and now about 60 degrees. You never know wth is happeneing up here.
I never ran snow tires either lol this will be my 4th winter with my z I've been looking for a old Nissan hardbody pickup my dad had 2 of them and I love the look
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
jerryd87

lol xylol from home depot is 99.7-100% pure xylene look at the msds and its what cars have been using for 20+ years as a octane booster there is 0 issue with it. if money isnt a issue then go get it and dump it in the tank like i said cars have been doing it forever making WAY more power then a stock z and it works great its better then running leaded race gas.

but obviously me building countless cars and knowing my **** i apparently am stupid and have no idea what im talking about(even though you could technically run your car on nothing but xylol like f1 cars used to) and your dead set on your opinion so go ahead and run it so i can laugh at you as you continuously cut thousands of miles off the life of your car.

the op asked if it was safe and NO MATTER WHAT YOUR OPINION no it is not safe cut and dry, you WILL knock you WILL NOT avoid it until you show data logs proving it shove off because i have actually logged and know theres no possibly way since any extra timing to stock knocks on 92.
this has nothing to do with not spending me in the op live in an area affected by the super storm with gas shortages and them only bring 87. me and the op both have no problem spending the money for 93 i was gonna go spend the $100 for 5 gallons of vp myself but scored some 93. again this has nothing to do with money but had everything to do with a shortage do to people having no power and needing gas for gennys and what not.
and the only place that i know that sells xylene is hardware stores like my job and thats not the same xylene you wanna use for your car its not pure.

Last edited by jerryd87; 11-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0

Truth be told, this weather has been crazy lately. I drive a dodge ram when the weather doesn't suite the Z but unfortunately being away at school and not knowing the storm would shut down a third of the refineries on the east coast, i didn't have access to it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

As mentioned there are cars that are daily driven on only 87 and are doing great. Before mine was tuned i ran it all the time on freeway trips (cali and back, to winconsin )

Unless you have a tune or FI, you are perfectly safe.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
As mentioned there are cars that are daily driven on only 87 and are doing great. Before mine was tuned i ran it all the time on freeway trips (cali and back, to winconsin )

Unless you have a tune or FI, you are perfectly safe.
Cool, thanks

Quick Reply: Is regular gas safe?