Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New 350z Clutch Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM
gaba53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 350z Clutch Help

I need the z experts' opinion to help my little brother (27 ) with his new z purchase. He picked up an 08 350 with around 50k miles. And from the driver of a CTS-V his z is loads of fun to drive and I wish my caddy's shifter felt like the Zs)

The one thing I mentioned to him to try and nail the dealer on is the clutch. It engages about an inch from the top of the pedal travel. My first thought is the clutch is getting thin and doesn't have tons of miles left in it, but could this be a bleeding issue or something else?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

(they also had to jump it and claimed that it had been sitting for a week was why, but I told him that sounds like BS have someone test the battery/alternator and depending on the results make the dealer handle that)
Old 12-25-2012, 11:58 AM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they are covering due to just purchasing, have own mechanic check it out, worth the few $ to do. Also make sure doesn't just need a minor adjustment, as mech will do that anyway. Then have a estimate and detailed write up on it if needed. Take it to the dealership and show them and then give choice fix it or pay the mech to fix it. 350Z's are a great car. I bought mine brand new and put a JVT Heavy Duty clutch in it and never have ever had a problem. Never had a problem with the original clutch either, only changed it due to the hp I added. As to battery, also have checked, but it would be true that the battery could have needed a jump from sitting, but make sure none of the cells have gone bad from sitting as that also happens when not kept charged for long periods of time. I made that mistake "one" time and now use a drip charger, which my mechanic (works at Nissan) gave me for 2 years also on a special occasion and have never had that problem again. Just make sure all is in complete working condition before anything.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 PM
PlainWhite350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The high clutch engagement point is a common gripe about Z's. A search for "350z clutch engagement point" through the forum or google I'm sure will yield much info on the subject. A different clutch (not OE) can change the engagement point a bit, but if it really bothers you, look into the RJM adjustable clutch bracket. A great many people just get used to it after a while, but I opted for the adjustable bracket, and I highly recommend it if you can't live with the high engagement point. As for the dead battery, it most likely sat for longer than they're telling you, which isn't the end of the world, but anytime a standard SLI car battery is run dry it is damaged a bit. It only takes a handful of times before the life and performance of the battery is noticeably decreased. Definitely have the battery and alternator checked. Many shops like Pep Boys and Autozone will load test the battery and check the alternator output for free.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the RJM clutch mod. My clutch pedal is smooth, near-effortless to push in, engages where and how I want.