Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Gear Vendors unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
hooahh3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Vendors unit

So in my time and searching here on the forum i havent seen any mention of any body running a gear vendors overdrive unit.

obvious question is does one even fit with enough D shaft to still allow for travel? and i dont know truthfully i havent compared measurments

some of the benifits are: for those running the 4.08 gear it would bring ur rpms down at highway cruise. 2250rpm @ 70mph with stock tire. give you automatic like shifts for a few gears wich would be a big help to the drag fellows. and give better mpg for just about everybody: lower shift points and rpm's. it would give you a total of 9 gears
1st 3.73
1st O 2.99
2nd 2.32
2nd O 1.83
3rd 1.62
3rd O 1.27
4th O 1.00
5th O 0.79
6th O 0.62

since the gearing is the same as stock on 3rd over to 5th over you wouldn't need to disengage the unit for those shifts. and you would get a lower 6th

if there is anybody running this that ive missed then let me know your experience.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its pretty excessive, the extra gears would slow you down, and the big power guys with fi who would possibly use it, its unsure if it would handle the power. going to a 3.3 rear gives you about the same benefit from a 4.08 choose if you want lower rpms or faster times you dont get both. not to mention good luck with pinion angle since this is going to give you a much more extreme pinion angle on both ends by shortening the driveshaft.

edit: these cost 3100 or more, you might as well just buy the os giken gear set for a little bit more since your going to require customization to get a gear vendors unit to fit.

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
hooahh3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
its pretty excessive, the extra gears would slow you down, and the big power guys with fi who would possibly use it, its unsure if it would handle the power. going to a 3.3 rear gives you about the same benefit from a 4.08 choose if you want lower rpms or faster times you dont get both. not to mention good luck with pinion angle since this is going to give you a much more extreme pinion angle on both ends by shortening the driveshaft
very true

but thats one of the good things about it. it can be switched off any time and just run the normal 6 speed. and they have applications for over 1000hp. and i thought about the 3.3 gear set but this will still give you your cake and you can eat it. you still get your 4.08 tourqe but can off set it with a .62 ovr if needed.

the one big question is the pinion angles. the unit will add about 6-12inches to the end of the transmission.

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

check it out and see what yall think? i know it works well for the old hot rod guys and such but may it help us out as well?

Last edited by hooahh3; 04-01-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you misunderstand how this works, turning it off dosnt remove the unit, power is still transmitted through it and can still break it, it also contains rotational mass which eats up power negating a large portion of the benefit of going to a 4.08 rear gear meaning you have went through a ton of work and money for stock performance. on top of that it has to be custom mounted, with the cost of the unit your looking at 5k to get this done mayby as much as 6-7k, then you have to come up with a custom driveshaft, and a custom cradle for the rearend to mount it higher for correct pinion angle which the cradle prob another 1 or 2k.

for that price there are coutless BETTER solutions in aftermarket transmissions or other platforms transmissions and custom mount them. the purpose of the gear vendors unit it to give over drive to transmissions that dont have it like the th350 your attempting to create a problem and solution where one dosnt exist

if your concerned about fuel economy get a different car your driving the wrong one

if your concerned with wear on the engine from increased rpms, you should have never touched the 4.08 rear although the increased wear is minimum

if your going fi or have fi and need traction, go ***** slap whoever talked you into going with a 4.08 rear end

if you want the torque of 4.08 na but lower rpms......... put your stock gear back in and go fi, it will be just as much as trying to fit that unit to your car and provide more acceleration then the 4.08
Originally Posted by hooahh3
very true

but thats one of the good things about it. it can be switched off any time and just run the normal 6 speed. and they have applications for over 1000hp. and i thought about the 3.3 gear set but this will still give you your cake and you can eat it. you still get your 4.08 tourqe but can off set it with a .62 ovr if needed.

the one big question is the pinion angles. the unit will add about 6-12inches to the end of the transmission.

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

check it out and see what yall think? i know it works well for the old hot rod guys and such but may it help us out as well?

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.