Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VH45DE questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
david.fryklind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VH45DE questions

Just couldnt manage to find where to post the questions, if a moderator want to move be my guest

Waiting for a VH45DE from a Q45 to be delivered this week and got a couple of questions about the transmission/clutch package:

I own a '04 350z, with a ACT clutch and a upgraded flywhee which i didnt fit so i dont know the brand. Now ive read that the flywheel bolt pattern dont match up to the crank, but the 300ZX/TT flywheels fit the VH45DE so this leaves me with some alternatives;

#1 350Z flywheel redrilled, apparently 'someone' has done this succesfully but i have a slight feeling that the flywheel is getting abit to weak from this. Also the flywheel might not line up with the starter so that a flywheel spacer is needed, though if this works i dont have to alter or change components further down the drivetrain.

#2 300ZX Z32TT flywheel and pressure plate but i dont know if the Z32 clutch disc will fit the Z33 transmission so i might have to go with a Z33 clutch disc if the diameter fit the Z32 flywheel and PP. Also here the flywheel starter ring might not fit the Z33 starter giving me another problem with that.

#3 300ZX Z32TT flywheel, complete clutch AND tranny+starter, giving me the friendly option to possibly shorten/lengthen the driveshaft.

Could anyone with the knowledge please enlighten me?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your over thinking things, the vq starter goes through the lower oil pan to get to the flywheel so its highly unlikely it will work without far too much efforts. get the vh45de starter, with a vh45de flywheel and call up one of the clutch manufacturers to have the vq35 hub/splines put into a vh45de clutch and call it good. your probably going to need a spacer regardless since nissan seems to hate interchangeable parts. your going to have to do alot of measuring, alot of phone calls, and its not going to be cheap. not many people(if any?) around here have done the swap because its a complete waste of time vs other v8's you could have done.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Only if you're gonna boost that VH45.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
david.fryklind

Default fghdfghdfhg

Spot on when it comes to overthinking stuff Im guessing itll be much easier to figure out when its all in front of me. The VH45DE flywheel though, arent they all autos? If not then theres no prob, otherwise ill have to get a flywheel made up, got a company around here doing just that. Guess the easiest way would be to get, as you say, a VH45 flywheel and starter if its adaptable to the tranny, or using the 350z ring and starter if its not a worse fit then the VH45 one.
Choosing the VH45 for many reasons, first off its cheap, atleast for me (Sweden). Second its a Nissan and i like the idea to keep it Nissan (atleast right now) and third, the VH45 according to the aussies its beefy enough for boosting, guess ill find that last one out the hard way
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 AM
mknZ

Nice! Good luck with that build. I like the idea of a Nissan V8 Z
Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
jerryd87

heres your first mistake in swapping a engine, the thought of cheap sorry lol

they might be all autos not sure if they are your screwed and going to be sucking your going to need to get the hub welded then decked and finally redrilled for the new bolt pattern(the 350z flywheel that is) then your going to have to hope the input shaft fits into the crank and find a pilot bearing since it dosnt have one being an auto. your also going to need a custom mount to bolt the two togeather and finally a adapter plate made, all in all its not going to be any cheaper then the established lsx swap and likely more for a engine that makes less power and has horrid part availability vs some other engines you could have gotten.

supposedly the engine can handle 1000 whp stock block but as i said your going to have issues with parts availability and those who do make parts will charge you more due to having the market cornered. other v8 options you could have done for cheap with much better availability(like gm l33, 5.3L aluminum block truck engine with ls6 heads so lighter weight, tons of parts available, someone already makes a swap kit, and has shown it can handle 1400 hp stock block on a loaded engine dyno.

frankly if you ask me though if your going FI any power level less then 1000 makes a engine swap a waste.

Originally Posted by david.fryklind
Spot on when it comes to overthinking stuff Im guessing itll be much easier to figure out when its all in front of me. The VH45DE flywheel though, arent they all autos? If not then theres no prob, otherwise ill have to get a flywheel made up, got a company around here doing just that. Guess the easiest way would be to get, as you say, a VH45 flywheel and starter if its adaptable to the tranny, or using the 350z ring and starter if its not a worse fit then the VH45 one.
Choosing the VH45 for many reasons, first off its cheap, atleast for me (Sweden). Second its a Nissan and i like the idea to keep it Nissan (atleast right now) and third, the VH45 according to the aussies its beefy enough for boosting, guess ill find that last one out the hard way
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
david.fryklind

I can change that "cheap" to "cheaper", two very different things. Also buying any other brand isnt what im after with this build, i want too keep the Nissan stamp and manufacturing as much ad i can myself, having owned a shop acouple of years doing just these things but not this very mix. Just buying a swap kit takes away all the fun with building it yourself, no satidfaction for me in that Yet again, im happy if i get 600whp FI'd in the future, since i dont have use for more unless im hitting the strip which im not intrested in. If you got some useful parts knowledge about this very build im all ears.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
midz350

jerryd, he is from/in Sweden. I think it changes everything when it comes to engine/parts availability.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can change that "cheap" to "cheaper", two very different things. Also buying any other brand isnt what im after with this build, i want too keep the Nissan stamp and manufacturing as much ad i can myself, having owned a shop acouple of years doing just these things but not this very mix. Just buying a swap kit takes away all the fun with building it yourself, no satidfaction for me in that Yet again, im happy if i get 600whp FI'd in the future, since i dont have use for more unless im hitting the strip which im not intrested in. If you got some useful parts knowledge about this very build im all ears.
If you're looking to be "different" and have the funds, then do the swap. For those goals as far as power, the VQ is more than capable to make that power. I see a lot of people who are swapping in a different engine for 5-600whp then complain how difficult and or expense it is and try to cut corners everywhere. For what, just to say you have this or that engine in the car?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
david.fryklind

Default sagflksdgfhsgdhlgs

+1 For different and +1 for location!

Unfortunatly my location makes all the difference as you say, otherwise if i know myself i would probably gone the lsx way. Im going through this build more for myself then anything else, for the fun of it and not 'bragging' rights, though i would be lying if i said i wont get a smile on my face telling ppl, after its completed My neighbour is all US Engines, got himself a dragster Chevy big block single turbo (1408hp, 1580NM ) so im looking forward to digging into the differences between american and japanese V8s, and ofcourse messing with him traditional US/Jap way
Was looking into turboing my VQ but most ppl modding the 350z around here puts turbos on them and as you say i wanted something different. Also after doing some research, with distant plans for big hp, the VQs open deck block isnt great for stress, so combining the difference in choosing a V8 instead of turbo, and the fact that the VH45 is Nissan and the block is closed deck and has sturdy pistons and rods to begin with its left me with this choice
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM
jerryd87

the truth is though show me one build that has had issues because of open deck no offense lol. in fact alot of performance engines that are out there are open deck is it optimal? no but it does work just fine heck we know that stock sleeves for sure have no issues handling 700 to the wheels which is above your goal already. you honestly would have better off going with the vq.

you also have other things to consider in addition to the engine mounting what ems are you using and how are you getting that engine to interface with the Z can system and be happy? alot of things need to be done that at the end of the day you can swap in rods and pistons that are even stronger then the vh has and still have been cheaper.

midz trust me im no stranger to parts from other countrys(why i run wossner pistons which i had to import) not a huge amount of parts availability for the engine, some yes but its not even vq status(which if you ask me has **** parts availability to the domestics im used to) so he gets screwed buying things for a much higher price then they should be for no other reason then only a couple people make them that is what i am referring to. if he has to import parts for a lsx hes going to have to import parts for the nissan looked it up and it seems to be on of those aussie things like the tb48 for most parts meaning he is going to still have to import.

+1 For different and +1 for location!

Unfortunatly my location makes all the difference as you say, otherwise if i know myself i would probably gone the lsx way. Im going through this build more for myself then anything else, for the fun of it and not 'bragging' rights, though i would be lying if i said i wont get a smile on my face telling ppl, after its completed My neighbour is all US Engines, got himself a dragster Chevy big block single turbo (1408hp, 1580NM ) so im looking forward to digging into the differences between american and japanese V8s, and ofcourse messing with him traditional US/Jap way
Was looking into turboing my VQ but most ppl modding the 350z around here puts turbos on them and as you say i wanted something different. Also after doing some research, with distant plans for big hp, the VQs open deck block isnt great for stress, so combining the difference in choosing a V8 instead of turbo, and the fact that the VH45 is Nissan and the block is closed deck and has sturdy pistons and rods to begin with its left me with this choice
Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 PM
david.fryklind

No offense taken but if i put it like this to clear things out;
Im doing the build, not intrested in what i 'would' be better off with cause theres one hell of alot of option that would be. To take it to your level: considering the amount of Skyline and Supras yada yada ive built the last couple of years i would better of going for the inline six, twinturbo'd, maybe building myself another bulletproof 1100bhp RB30/26DETT like i had in one of my old Skylines but now im doing this, so please, once again, if you can contribute some useful parts information about this particular build please do, if not then im sorry mate, im not intrested in what you in particular have got to say
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM
graffkid732

Im doing the build, not intrested in what i 'would' be better off with cause theres one hell of alot of option that would be. To take it to your level: considering the amount of Skyline and Supras yada yada ive built the last couple of years i would better of going for the inline six, twinturbo'd, maybe building myself another bulletproof 1100bhp RB30/26DETT like i had in one of my old Skylines but now im doing this, so please, once again, if you can contribute some useful parts information about this particular build please do, if not then im sorry mate, im not intrested in what you in particular have got to say
No disrespect man, some just don't understand that doing a swap is pointless for the most part unless you really mod it to be worth the money just to get the engine in the car.

I can't give any information on the engine, but I would Google the hell out of it. I found a ton of info for my 2JZ swap into my Z on Supra forums, found ton of Z information here, and talk to the "big" name shops. I have talked to Titan and Sound Performance A LOT and they have shared a ton of great info that has helped me along. I'm also helping my friend put a VQ35DE into her S14, and between here, Google, and Zilvia, I am confident we will have 0 issues doing what we want and having full functioning cluster and such.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
jerryd87

except the rb isnt as good of a engine as the vq and the fastest 6 cylinder in the world is a vq(granted a billet block but the power they are making pretty much any engine architecture would need something stronger then production) due to how amazing the vq heads are. lol but whatever dont want help or dont want opinions? dont post on forums plain and simple, if your a expert why are you asking people for help here? why didnt you use the search button to see that you wouldnt be able to find your answer because no one(to my knowledge) has done the swap here? your too full of yourself and getting pissy because someone gave you sound advice. if your looking for advice on it HERE your in the wrong place plain and simple, if your looking for advice on the swap period the net is the last place you should be looking because you will be able to find info on the engine but they will all be partial to it and say "oh yah do it its the best engine ever" just like alot of people are to the 2jz, rb26, and vr38. then they will look up the vq and see some of the people who decided to take it to the cheapest shop they could and ruined a engine because of it(even though most of those shops could ruin a engine already built for them) and tell you "oh yes you must definitely do it then"

problem is i already have given you advice and told you whats going to be needed for this build but at the mention of another engine you immediately block anything i say get upset and dont actually process anything i say and completely wasting both of our time and you asking the same question despite it being answered.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-13-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM
jerryd87

thats not true at all the reason the lsx is such a huge success as a swap engine is because it holds alot of advantages, especially in regards to stock block vq power levels, a engine swap on a demo car to demonstrate a shops capability's makes complete sense. problem is alot of people see swaps that shops did for that exact reason and think "omg the did it to be different i want to be different too!"

CERTAIN swaps are absolutely pointless, dropping a ton of extra cash to make the same amount of power for absolutely no reason other then you want to dosnt impress anyone. people see it say good job and quit caring because its poor money management and decisions when it comes down to it(yes cars period are cash sinks but again im referring directly to swapping something like this). alot of parts are going to be custom made, period meaning asking someone here is completely pointless and for the power he is after just a waste of time its not like you building a 3.4L essentially pure race engine. if he was going for more power say 1000 hp it would make a little more sense, if he wanted 1000 hp and never anymore then it would be like eh ok whatever but we know that dosnt happen car guys always want more the smart ones just take it up in steps, when the time comes he wants that more hes going to be screwed because everything for his engine is going to cost 3-4x more then it should and he is going to get online and get pissy because he has a hard time finding parts for it.
Originally Posted by graffkid732
No disrespect man, some just don't understand that doing a swap is pointless for the most part unless you really mod it to be worth the money just to get the engine in the car.

I can't give any information on the engine, but I would Google the hell out of it. I found a ton of info for my 2JZ swap into my Z on Supra forums, found ton of Z information here, and talk to the "big" name shops. I have talked to Titan and Sound Performance A LOT and they have shared a ton of great info that has helped me along. I'm also helping my friend put a VQ35DE into her S14, and between here, Google, and Zilvia, I am confident we will have 0 issues doing what we want and having full functioning cluster and such.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-13-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 AM
graffkid732

Originally Posted by jerryd87
thats not true at all the reason the lsx is such a huge success as a swap engine is because it holds alot of advantages, especially in regards to stock block vq power levels.

CERTAIN swaps are absolutely pointless, dropping a ton of extra cash to make the same amount of power for absolutely no reason other then you want to dosnt impress anyone. people see it say good job and quit caring because its poor money management and decisions when it comes down to it(yes cars period are cash sinks but again im referring directly to swapping something like this). alot of parts are going to be custom made, period meaning asking someone here is completely pointless and for the power he is after just a waste of time its not like you building a 3.4L essentially pure race engine. if he was going for more power say 1000 hp it would make a little more sense, if he wanted 1000 hp and never anymore then it would be like eh ok whatever but we know that dosnt happen car guys always want more the smart ones just take it up in steps, when the time comes he wants that more hes going to be screwed because everything for his engine is going to cost 3-4x more then it should and he is going to get online and get pissy because he has a hard time finding parts for it.
Good point, my post was a little too general. I do agree with you here 100%.

I even recommend people who want to drift with the 400HP range on a "strict" budget to go V8 and that's because they are pretty much beating a stock engine(simple bolt on V8) all day rather than beating on an engine that is pretty much at the limit(stock TT/ST VQ).
Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 AM
david.fryklind

Originally Posted by graffkid732

Thanks for your great input! I can imagine theres alot of 'Im swapping and V8 into my Sentra, how do i do it' so youre probably a bit tired of swap-threads.

What i have been asking for is technical answers not opinions, and its the type of post like the quoted one i mean, if not directly technical thoughts/answers its hints to who i can talk to. Im the first or second guy (!!) in Sweden to do this swap as 1UZs are easier to get around here (the LS400).

And jerry: I appreciate your input as long as its not 'this V8 is better then that V8', 'this costs more then that' and ' why not turbo the VQ, its better then every RB in the universe' cause thats not what i have i mind asking technical questions. Turboing a NA six is fun too (but not my route right now), have a mate of mine done just that in his bimmer and he's doing fine
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/09/swedish-slider-alexander-the-great-e28/

Anywas, ill keep you posted, the VH45 should have hit swedish ground yesterday so im assuming ill get a call monday morning to book delivery. Passed by one of my garages yesterday and realized i got a RB25DET stock clutch (same bolt pattern and diameter as a 300ZX NA) and a RB30 auto flywheel and starter so i got some options when it comes to parts interchangeability-check But it leans towards getting a 300ZX NA or TT flywheel and clutch, though my RB25DET clutch bolts right up towards both the NA and TT flywheel if understood correctly.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 PM
jerryd87

just going to throw this out there but autos dont have flywheels they have flex plates, and both are very very different. not possible to use a flex plate on a auto unless your just cutting the starter ring off to weld onto a different flywheel since a flex plate dosnt have any true surface for the friction material and also most are full of holes for lightening.
Thanks for your great input! I can imagine theres alot of 'Im swapping and V8 into my Sentra, how do i do it' so youre probably a bit tired of swap-threads.

What i have been asking for is technical answers not opinions, and its the type of post like the quoted one i mean, if not directly technical thoughts/answers its hints to who i can talk to. Im the first or second guy (!!) in Sweden to do this swap as 1UZs are easier to get around here (the LS400).

And jerry: I appreciate your input as long as its not 'this V8 is better then that V8', 'this costs more then that' and ' why not turbo the VQ, its better then every RB in the universe' cause thats not what i have i mind asking technical questions. Turboing a NA six is fun too (but not my route right now), have a mate of mine done just that in his bimmer and he's doing fine
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/09/swedish-slider-alexander-the-great-e28/

Anywas, ill keep you posted, the VH45 should have hit swedish ground yesterday so im assuming ill get a call monday morning to book delivery. Passed by one of my garages yesterday and realized i got a RB25DET stock clutch (same bolt pattern and diameter as a 300ZX NA) and a RB30 auto flywheel and starter so i got some options when it comes to parts interchangeability-check But it leans towards getting a 300ZX NA or TT flywheel and clutch, though my RB25DET clutch bolts right up towards both the NA and TT flywheel if understood correctly.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:14 AM
david.fryklind

Default sdhgflgsdbjfbsdfbsld

Very true, didnt know the english translation for the flex plate.
Im hoping that the starter ring migh come in handy, some mix of everything should work..
Also, to add some confusion, ive read that the crank bolt pattern are the same for the 350z and 300ZX and its only the clutch bolt pattern that differs. Oh well, i might aswell chill a while with this since im not going to buy anything until i have the v8 here and my enigne out the car so that i can see for myself.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 AM
midz350

This might help you:

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php...ter-plate.html

Last edited by midz350; 09-15-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: VH45DE questions