Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 PM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Last winter put new engine fans, radiator, and hoses. Had leak from top hose being too long and bent so I had to cut it down to fit and things seemed fine all summer long.

This winter heater wasn't blowing heat and started overheating so I filled overflow tank to top. A month and a half later checked overflow and it was empty again. There have been no visible leaks and I check constantly to see and haven't found any.

I filled overflow again tonight to the top and drove it for 20 minutes with heat on full blast to fill system again and heat was working fine. A few hours later I went to check the overflow tank and it has dropped by about maybe an inch. OK so it refilled system with that inch I'm guessing.

Once again no visible leaks.

Next I'll check while running and hot to see if I can find a leak but what the hell is happening. Checked oil looks fine. Exhaust pipes are completely dry no wetness in them. I don't blow any smoke from exhaust.

Could it be a bad radiator cap even though it was new one that came with the Mishimoto radiator I installed and if it is the cap why wouldn't the leak be visible.

Thanks for the help. I also used the Lisle no drip tool to bleed the coolant system.

Last edited by vagel72; 02-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 PM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been looking around and it could possibly be a faulty Mishimoto radiator cap not holding pressure correctly.

What kind of radiator cap can I buy to replace the one from Mishimoto
can I use OEM I'll just go to the dealership and get one or order one online.

Or if anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears.