Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Odd Clutch Slip Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
MB037

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Odd Clutch Slip Sounds?

Hi all, I posted this in the HR section, but haven't found many responses or ideas

I have the normal sound in neutral with the clutch engaged, marbles rolling in a bowl. It isn't very loud, but it is noticeable. There are no other sounds when the pedal is pushed in, no whining from bearings, etc

The sound I hear is when I'm slipping the clutch, and it is a "groaning" sound. Not a click or a rattle or anything like that, but a drawn out groan. It usually does it when cold, but quite often in the afternoon heat too.
I did a reasonably long trip a few days ago (500kms non stop each way), and that is when I started to notice the same sound when selecting first after sitting in neutral at a light, just a very quick burst of that same groan sound. Sometimes it would do it when changing gears too.

I'll add the two videos I took below, cheers heaps
Old 11-08-2016, 07:50 PM
MB037

Here's the outside one. It makes this noise when cold, sometimes it doesn't though, very random. As you can see it goes away at the end

Edit: no idea why this won't embed now

Last edited by MB037; 11-08-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 PM
MB037

This is the internal sound, while backing up a driveway.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

How much miles is on your clutch? I would just bring it to a transmission shop to have them diagnose the issue, trying to figure out stuff like this online, its a bit hard to pinpoint what could be causing the weird noises. Bring it to a shop and see what they say, then go from there with an educated decision.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:16 AM
MB037

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
How much miles is on your clutch? I would just bring it to a transmission shop to have them diagnose the issue, trying to figure out stuff like this online, its a bit hard to pinpoint what could be causing the weird noises. Bring it to a shop and see what they say, then go from there with an educated decision.
I suppose that is the right thing to do. I was just thinking some others may have had the same sound, and may know what fixed it or caused it.
Clutch has about 70,000kms on it, so 43,000miles.