Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z. Dimension request for conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM
doyle4281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 350z. Dimension request for conversion

Hello all, this may sound like an odd request, but I need a dimension from the Z33 chassis. I am revisiting my transmission options for my conversion, and need to know where the factory Z33 bellhousing face ends up in the engine bay when installed. Essentially, how far from the firewall is the engine/bellhousing face. I will then compare this to where my engine currently lies to see if I can use a Z33 trans rather than the current Z32 5 spd. I appreciate the help guys.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Google Z32 conversations with the trans code.

I know it's common so I'm sure kits and guides are out there.

Also I think it more relies on conversation mounts and trans tunnel cuts that the bell size. Firewall is the least of the worries due to cutting and hammering being a simple fix.

Look for a conversation build thread or video. I'm sure there is a couple out there you can see if it will fit with modding or not.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM
doyle4281

Originally Posted by CK_32
Google Z32 conversations with the trans code.

I know it's common so I'm sure kits and guides are out there.

Also I think it more relies on conversation mounts and trans tunnel cuts that the bell size. Firewall is the least of the worries due to cutting and hammering being a simple fix.

Look for a conversation build thread or video. I'm sure there is a couple out there you can see if it will fit with modding or not.
I think I may have described what I am looking for wrong. I need the location of a stock 350z trans in a 350z. I have an engine conversion already done in my 350z, but I am using a Z32 transmission. I would like to switch back to a 350z transmission near its stock location, however I need to know where the stock transmission mates to the engine in the engine bay. Distance from the firewall would be the easiest measurement to take. Thanks though
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

What part of the firewall/trans tunnel from what part of the housing?

Those are big surfaces with lots of varying dimensions.

Switching back shouldn't be an issue if you just use the factory mounts and locations. Unless you have a engine swap as well...

Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding the issue here lol

Edit: Ohhh ok engine swap I get your dilemma now.

If you just bolt your trans to your original trans mounts then figure out what bell housing you need to mate them together you shouldn't have a a problem or worry about tunnel clearance. Just what housing you need to convert them to match your trans and engine together.

Is it stick or auto? Makes a big difference.

Last edited by CK_32; 01-31-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
doyle4281

Originally Posted by CK_32
What part of the firewall/trans tunnel from what part of the housing?

Those are big surfaces with lots of varying dimensions.

Switching back shouldn't be an issue if you just use the factory mounts and locations. Unless you have a engine swap as well...

Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding the issue here lol

Edit: Ohhh ok engine swap I get your dilemma now.

If you just bolt your trans to your original trans mounts then figure out what bell housing you need to mate them together you shouldn't have a a problem or worry about tunnel clearance. Just what housing you need to convert them to match your trans and engine together.

Is it stick or auto? Makes a big difference.

Thank you, I think we are on the same page now. I have an engine swap in my 350z, which no longer uses a 350z transmission. I no longer have my 350z transmission to measure. I am now able to get a bellhousing adapter to use a 350z transmission with my engine swap. Prior to purchasing the bellhousing adapter, I need to know how my current setup will be affected by a change in position dictated by reinstalling the factory transmission in its factory location. A measurement from the firewall to the face of the bellhousing would help, a measurement from the trans mount holes to the bellhousing face would also help. Thank you guys