Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission help! Auto 2003 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM
posessedz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help! Auto 2003 350

I have a 2003 350z auto. I was driving down the interstate about 70 on cruise and the car downshifted from 5th to 4th and the gear display on the cluster went blank and the car would not shift up or down. After getting towed to a transmission shop. They said the trans could not read what rpm the engine was at once it was put in drive. The car can be put in reverse, park, neutral and drive. However it will not shift out of first. It works in all the gears and does not shift hard. There are no lights on the dash. Do I need To install a new trans or have mine rebuilt? Or is my tcm bad? Or??? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by posessedz
I have a 2003 350z auto. I was driving down the interstate about 70 on cruise and the car downshifted from 5th to 4th and the gear display on the cluster went blank and the car would not shift up or down. After getting towed to a transmission shop. They said the trans could not read what rpm the engine was at once it was put in drive. The car can be put in reverse, park, neutral and drive. However it will not shift out of first. It works in all the gears and does not shift hard. There are no lights on the dash. Do I need To install a new trans or have mine rebuilt? Or is my tcm bad? Or??? Thanks!
To paraphrase dkmura:

Did you pull the codes? Z has fabulous diagnostics.

I'd bet this is not a mechanical issue given the display issue.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:07 AM
posessedz

Originally Posted by MicVelo
To paraphrase dkmura:

Did you pull the codes? Z has fabulous diagnostics.

I'd bet this is not a mechanical issue given the display issue.
there are no codes and the display works correctly now. But still will not shift. There are no lights of any kind on my dash. And you said to paraphrase dkmura? Your the only post that shows up?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM
DanQ

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by posessedz
there are no codes and the display works correctly now. But still will not shift. There are no lights of any kind on my dash. And you said to paraphrase dkmura? Your the only post that shows up?
dkmura is a pretty well known member, who knows the 350Z extremely well.

Are any electrical components not working properly?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:03 PM
posessedz

Originally Posted by DanQ
dkmura is a pretty well known member, who knows the 350Z extremely well.

Are any electrical components not working properly?
everything electronically seems to be working fine on the car. I went through and checked all the wires going to the transmission and can't find any loose or disconnected. No codes appear. Gear selector displays again. going to manual shifting you can't get out of first. Also you can't get out of first leaving it in drive, just racks up the rpms. I just want any last things I can check before biteing the bullet and ordering a trans or having mine rebuilt