Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Another p1084

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:50 AM
tommyz44

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another p1084

Hey everyone! Been utilizing this page a while decided its time to join in.

So i have read up and down everything about the P1084 code. I have an 06 350z 6MT. 112,00 miles. I keep throwing the code. Ive done the pedal dance 100 times. When i start the car it idles 650. Driving normal idle is fine. As soon as i WOT the car, Idle jumped to 1500. If i pull over shut car down and restart it will idle normal.

Now for the parts that you will need to know

Since i bought it Engine wise
1)cleaned upper and lower plenum. New gaskets.
2)New valve cover gaskets
3)new spark plugs
4) JWT pop charger

This is now when i started to get the code.
SO
1)Brand new OEM Hitachi TB and gasket (pedal dance after) Throttle feels WAY better and doesnt bog as badly at 3k rpm.

2) Oil change not much difference. I never seemed to have an issue burning oil.

3)Replaced both the straight and angled sensors in the rear. Pedal dance. No longer bogs at 3k rpm. However, now the oil pressure gauge is at 120+ psi. which i know is not correct. Still throwing code and idle is surging after WOT.

I know this issue has been answered 1000x however I feel I've done all of the suggested solutions. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:42 AM
tommyz44

To follow up, i remember the gasket between upper and lower plenum was a bit of a pain to get on. I can say the holes were off maybe .001" from the stock OEM so maybe it is possible it is a vacuum leak. I just checked all the bolts are torqued to spec. Will try hitting it with some carb cleaner in a day or two, if nothing i will probably take it to get smoke tested. The side the bolt holes were off, were just by the throttle body, so being the driver side, that is bank 2 which is the side that has the questionable leak...ugh....
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Since a P1084 indicates an exhaust valve timing sensor problem, I'm wondering why you're chasing a vacuum leak.
The following users liked this post:
tommyz44 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:46 AM
tommyz44

Only reason I think leak is I've already replaced the throttle body, both the straight and angled sensors, new oil change and still getting the code. I do know the gasket went on kind of wierd so i figured it's the next step. Since the only thing I did before the code was tear down the plenum for cleaning and touched the throttle body, which is why I started with that and oil change first. Any suggestions other than the leak?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 AM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are set on it being a leak, pay 50-80 bucks n get a smoke test done. Also did you use generic replacements for the sensors?
tommyz44 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

or take it to nissan for a proper diagnosis
tommyz44 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:36 AM
tommyz44

Not dead set on it being a leak. Ill try out some carb cleaner to start. If its a good leak ill know it. Not sure why it would cause a p1084 though (if it is a leak). Just trying to retrace my steps and what could have failed from before the codes.

Worst case i will take it to Nissan. Our local service is not known to be highly rated. Thats why im asking here if anyone has any more advice than what i have supplied. Perhaps there is one post that i some how missed an important piece?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyz44
Not dead set on it being a leak. Ill try out some carb cleaner to start. If its a good leak ill know it. Not sure why it would cause a p1084 though (if it is a leak). Just trying to retrace my steps and what could have failed from before the codes.

Worst case i will take it to Nissan. Our local service is not known to be highly rated. Thats why im asking here if anyone has any more advice than what i have supplied. Perhaps there is one post that i some how missed an important piece?

- I think it's your bank 2 camshaft position sensor which is failing, or you have a short in the wiring leading to that sensor. Now a vacuum leak WILL raise your rpm's at idle(as the ECM detects more air it throws more fuel)but a vacuum leak won't just fix itself after restarting the car. That ''fixing after restarting'' is most likely happening because your car hasn't achieved closed/full loop yet after the restart, and once it has, the ECM will detect a very low or very high signal from that sensor, and as a result, throw the code... Now, you said that you replaced both of them. What is the condition of those wires/harnesses back there? Are they in decent shape? Did you get OEM replacements? Because with those camshaft sensors, going generic is not the way to go...
tommyz44 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM
tommyz44

Thanks! I did hit it with spray today. Found a very small leak. So instead of ordering another gasket I called up Nissan. They had a gasket in stock, so I decided to get that instead of the generic brand.

As far as the sensors. Wires looked like they were in good shape. I made sure to wipe them all down since I did have some oil on them. You guys are making me double guess the sensor again so I went on and looked at the sensors I got. It was really hidden in the way it was written, but they are not "genuine" Nissan. Fairly similar in price, and they say OEM Nissan cam sensor. OEM stands for Original Engine Management the name of the company which does generic sensors. -.- So while at Nissan I purchased the bank 2 sensor as well. Genuine gasket and sensor. Will put on this weekend. I'm hopping this fixes the issue. Looks like I should be able to send the generic sensor back and get my money back. Only 10$ less for the generic than what I paid at Nissan. Kicking myself for not realizing OEM was the company name not OEM Nissan. Ill follow up after this weekend (or if I find the time to do it tomorrow).

Thanks for they help guys!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Good stuff. Yeah, I've seen those fake OEM companies before when I was looking up knock sensors. So where did you find that small leak?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM
tommyz44

Bad news......had enough time to change the sensor to the genuine nissan. Still throwing p1084. Going to try the gasket this weekend then maybe clean the MAF sensor? After that if no ideas come up I'll take it to nissan.

In the pic is the issue with the gasket. The 2 bolts in red, were the ones that were very hard to get in like the gasket holes were slightly off. The circle in yellow is where I found the carb cleaner dropped my rpms when I hit it there. All bolts in the correct pattern have been torqued correctly and double checked.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:39 PM
tommyz44

Bad news......had enough time to change the sensor to the genuine nissan. Still throwing p1084. Going to try the gasket this weekend then maybe clean the MAF sensor? After that if no ideas come up I'll take it to nissan.

In the pic is the issue with the gasket. The 2 bolts in red, were the ones that were very hard to get in like the gasket holes were slightly off. The circle in yellow is where I found the carb cleaner dropped my rpms when I hit it there. All bolts in the correct pattern have been torqued correctly and double checked.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Did you reset your ECU after installing the new OEM Nissan sensor? I'm thinking that your misaligned gasket holes near your throttle body and that vacuum leak are related. You said there's a new gasket between your upper and lower plenum. Where did you get that gasket? Did you ensure that the mating surfaces between the upper and lower plenum were clean, level, and with no deformities? Did you follow the correct torque down pattern for the upper plenum and were careful not to mix bolt locations?..
tommyz44 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM
tommyz44

Yea I did reset it. However, I'm an idiot and was jumping the gun. So I went and got the angled sensor from Nissan. But the second sensor (straight) on the driver side I forgot about so that one is still generic one that I replaced it with. So I am running tomorrow to pick up the straight sensor that way both sensors in bank 2 are genuine Nissan. Im hopping that's the issue. Since as others mentioned a vac leak doesn't make sense for a 1084.

As far as the vacuum leak, the mis aligned holes most definitely is causing the leak its almost like its pulling the gasket in one spot. I had questioned it when I put it on but figured the gasket would seal. Again I was stupid and bought generic so I have a new Nissan gasket that I bought when I got the angled sensor. Plenum was very well cleaned no chips or anything and I did torque them down in that exact way. Also when removing I tapped off each bolt and labeled with the number so I didn't get mixed up.

So far I am guessing the lesson to be learned is something's are not to be cheaped out on. I have now bought generic and Nissan genuine parts so instead of saving money im just buying more. Luckily I might be able to return the generic sensors since they did not fix my issue.
Atreyu'z 350 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyz44
Yea I did reset it. However, I'm an idiot and was jumping the gun. So I went and got the angled sensor from Nissan. But the second sensor (straight) on the driver side I forgot about so that one is still generic one that I replaced it with. So I am running tomorrow to pick up the straight sensor that way both sensors in bank 2 are genuine Nissan. Im hopping that's the issue. Since as others mentioned a vac leak doesn't make sense for a 1084.

As far as the vacuum leak, the mis aligned holes most definitely is causing the leak its almost like its pulling the gasket in one spot. I had questioned it when I put it on but figured the gasket would seal. Again I was stupid and bought generic so I have a new Nissan gasket that I bought when I got the angled sensor. Plenum was very well cleaned no chips or anything and I did torque them down in that exact way. Also when removing I tapped off each bolt and labeled with the number so I didn't get mixed up.

So far I am guessing the lesson to be learned is something's are not to be cheaped out on. I have now bought generic and Nissan genuine parts so instead of saving money im just buying more. Luckily I might be able to return the generic sensors since they did not fix my issue.
most of the time you cannot return sensors,, you will more than likely eat those
Old 05-31-2017, 05:16 PM
tommyz44

Yea no take backs oh well lesson learned. Replaced the straight drivers side sensor today with genuine Nissan. No codes!!!! Feels really good and responsive, no more dip in. Still jumping a tad but only between 650 and 800. Not jumping to 1500.

Now to work on that vac leak.