Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Automatic transmission in safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 AM
418jan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission in safe mode

Have a 350Z from 2005 with only 3500miles. Just bought it. 4th gear is in and do not change gears Many warning lights on. Nissan workshop spent 10 hours try to find the problem. Now I bought it and Another Nissan workshop says they cant find the problem. ECU changed with imobilizer. Live in Sweden but the car comes from US. Please Help if you have an idea. Jan
Old 05-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what is entirely going on. If your car is in safe mode it will still be able to go into all gears. Safe mode is a rpm and speed limit. If your tranny is locked in a certain gear than it's something different. When my Throttle Body went out my car went into fail safe mod which is what you were referring to but I was able to switch gears manually 1-5 it helps acceleration when you are in safe mode. If the tranny is locked in gear I suspect the issue is full mechanical and aside from checking the fluid level it's gonna need to be replaced or torn down. Probably cheaper just to find a used tranny and throw it in.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

How were you driving it prior to this happening?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:42 PM
418jan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z yellow

I havent drived the car yet. I bought it with this failure and it was transported from the seller directly to the Nissan workshop in my Town. I started the 350Z in the Sellers garage.It has a Stainless steel exhaust system and I fell in love with the car. The seller had a problem with one ignition coils. He tried to change it himself but it blowed directly. He drow the car to Nissan in his Town. After a while they fixed the coil but said that the automatic transmission didnt work stucked in 4th gear. I trust this guy so the problem accured at the workshop. They spend a lot of time trying to find the problem. And wanted a lot of Money for searching for the fault. In the end he got the car without paying after 1,5 years. I checked the history it had an accident in US and was exported and I can confirm that it has only 3500 miles. The workshop says that its no mechanical problem with the gearbox.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Aw jeez.... If the problem occurred at the 'workshop' then the workshop should be held liable and fix it. It sounds to me like you've gotten taken advantage of. You also should've evaluated the situation with the car more thoroughly before buying it because now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.. If it were me at this point, I would contact the seller AND that 'workshop' and explain to the workshop that if the problem happened while the vehicle was in their possession, then they should be held liable and fix it... And if worst comes to worse, you can always take off that stainless steel exhaust and hang it on your wall. Good luck.

-Matt