Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD install to replace open diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 AM
superpilot04

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quaife LSD install to replace open diff

Hey everyone,

I just got a quote from a local shop to replace my factory open diff with a Quaife LSD. From what I understand, this is a fairly easy swap. Per Z1motorsport's site "Quaife Differentials require no modification to install in a Base model vehicle with open style factory diff." The shop here in Northern CA is charging me a total of $1,080 in labor for the below items.
  • R & R Diff Assy - $337.50
  • Diff Build on the bench out of the car - $540
  • Discounted Diff Bushings install - $202.50

From what Z1 says, I don't think I need the bench build. Can someone verify this for me? Is this shop trying to do more work than what is necessary? My car only sees 3k-5k miles/year.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

the bench build is where they actually change out the guts... take the diff out yourself, take it to them and let them swap out the lsd, and then you reinstall
Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 AM
superpilot04

So you can't just pull out the open diff and install the LSD? I honestly have no idea how this installation works? Just by reading Z1's site, I thought this was just a fairly simple swap.

Here's the link for reference.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...al-p-2397.html

This is the explanation I was given by the shop concerning the bench build.

"You have to remove the Ring and pinion to install the LSD Assy Once its installed you have to get the backlash and pinion depth set This takes a few hours Once it's done will seal it up and install the Diff Thanks Rob"

Last edited by superpilot04; 05-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it from someone who's been in the car world for 20 years. $500 labor is very reasonable for a piece of mind that you have a properly installed, quiet rear differential. A shop will charge $200-$300 for a basic gear change on a Mustang. It's kinda like buying headers, the labor is almost always more than the cost of the part.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 AM
rottingcat

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are up to taking out the diff i suggest installing the bushings yourself, you would just have to use the shop's press
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I just sent my open diff to Z1 and had them swap everything. They were fantastic, even saved me money by telling me I didn't need certain stuff that I purchased.

I'm sure shipping from CA would be much more expensive though. With that being said, depending on how mechanically inclined you are, I would remove and install the pumpkin myself, and just have the shop do the internals. Would save you a lot of money.

It really isn't a bad job to do. The most difficult part is if you decide to change the rear bushing... which I HIGHLY recommend changing all the bushings.

Took me and a friend under 2 hours to remove my VLSD and install the Quaife, and that was with us taking our time.

Also, highly recommend getting the Z1 upgrade kit, which includes the extended finned diff cover. My diff is a champ!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 AM
superpilot04

Thank you for the input everyone. I'm not that mechanically inclined and I don't have the tools for the job. Also, this is my only car and the shop is in San Jose, about an hour drive from SF. I'll just take it to the shop and let them do their thing.