Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2006 5AT with 3.5 ratio 6MT Diff - Cruise Control OK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Mags

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Whaaat.. Holy hell.. The good ole' dayz..
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow.. Now that's a Pinto I would not be ashamed to drive.. I remember doing that to the old Chevy Vega's too back in the day..
Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Mags

Got my 6MT vlsd pumpkin today! See picture. Set of 3.7 gears plus seal and bearing set on its way from Z1 Motorsports.

Next weekend I install the Stillen underdrive crank pulley, and after I get the gears next week the pumpkin goes to a local trans shop for a rebuild with the 3.7s.

More fun ahead!

Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Damn, you don't play around... Nice. Personally, I tend to stay away from 'underdriving' pulleys. As I'm sure you know, it can put positive/negative strain on accessories. I'd go with lightweight, not underdriven.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 07-21-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mags
Got my 6MT vlsd pumpkin today! See picture. Set of 3.7 gears plus seal and bearing set on its way from Z1 Motorsports.

Next weekend I install the Stillen underdrive crank pulley, and after I get the gears next week the pumpkin goes to a local trans shop for a rebuild with the 3.7s.

More fun ahead!

where did you end up getting it from LKQ?

How is the shop that you are going to? Are they familiar with nissan diffs? What are they charging to swap gears and fully rebuild it?
Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 AM
Mags

Yes, got it from LKQ for $165 plus shipping, from a 2006 6MT Enthusiast model totalled in a front-end collision. Looks to be in pretty good shape with no visible leaks, but I'm getting it rebuilt anyway.

There is a small shop right on the way to work for me in East Hanover, NJ, called Morris County Transmissions. They only do trannys and differentials. I sent them an email but haven't talked to them yet. Once I get a quote I'll let you know.

By the way, I also purchased the Z1 polyurethane bushing set and bushing tool. I figure since I'll have the diff out why not replace the failure-prone fluid-filled bushing too.

Last edited by Mags; 07-22-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:06 AM
Mags

The gears, bearings and seals arrived yesterday so today I drop the pumpkin off for the rebuild. Progress!

Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM
myGspot

What are they charging you for rebuild/swap gears?
Also, did they ask you for any additional shims? Do they have shims for the nissan diffs?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Mags

Charge will depend on how many hours it takes @ $100 per. He estimated 2-3 but one never knows until one looks.

He said he had plenty of shims.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:56 PM
myGspot

Normally would take about 4-5hrs cause you have to put it together and then take it apart to make sure all is good on clearances. do they planing on cleaning housing before rebuild ?

need help installing it? cause i am going to be doing mine, so wanted to see how much of a pain it is to take out that subframe bushing
Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Mags

Originally Posted by myGspot
Normally would take about 4-5hrs cause you have to put it together and then take it apart to make sure all is good on clearances. do they planing on cleaning housing before rebuild ?

need help installing it? cause i am going to be doing mine, so wanted to see how much of a pain it is to take out that subframe bushing
I didn't ask him to clean the housing - it's pretty clean and degreased already and it's going where no one will ever see it, so not a big concern for me. Maybe I'll paint it if I have extra time before the install.

Ill be doing it in a few weeks with my brother-in-law; between the two of us we should be good. The bushing will be the big headache but the special removal tool from Z1 should help in that regard. I'll try to take pictures along the way.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Mags

I'm very frustrated. I have been working on the car since yesterday pm, and I cannot get the crankshaft pulley bolt off to install the new Stillen underdrive pulley, even with a 3/4" breaker bar and 3 foot extension and a steel pulley holder tool. I bent the pulley holder tool from all the force I was using (see picture). The bolt didnt budge! So...

I put the car mostly back together and took it to the local mechanic shop. Very good shop. They said, sure we'll do the whole install for you for $130. Great, I said!!

One hour later the mechanic comes out and says he can't get the pulley bolt off either, even with his professional air tools! They didn't charge me but I'm still disappointed. Guess the new pulley goes up on ebay or the marketplace. At least I didn't break the car.

Now I'm home and I'll eat lunch, jack the car back up and finish putting things back the way they were. Still have the diff install to look forward to, though!

Those two pins are supposed to be straight and in line with each other!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Mags

After the underdrive pulley fiasco, I decided I needed to do something else while waiting for the gears, so today I installed a set of Works Bell carbon fiber paddle shifters. Took me pretty much all day, most of that time spent figuring out how to take apart the steering column, scuff panel, console, where to get the power and ground from, etc.

Ended up tapping into the cigarette lighter for power and drilling a chassis bracket under the dash for the ground. Put it all back together and voila, it works. Still optimizing the paddle position but combined with the Transgo Kit the fun factor is definitely high!

Should be a nice combo with the 3.7 gears. Can't wait...
Old 08-27-2017, 06:26 PM
myGspot

Just wanted to see if you finally got the gears installed and impressions
Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 AM
Mags

Still haven't gotten the diff back from the shop. Should be ready some time this week; I told him no hurry and I guess he took it to heart...
Looking at next weekend for the installation; right now I'm on my way to London for work.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well not sure if model year matters or not, but my '03 5AT with 3.7 gear, I have no CC. I turn it on and the light just flashes.

But I wouldn't change it back at all. I love have the 3.7 gear because you really get to take advantage of the low-end torque if you have supporting mods. Just take'er easy for a couple of weeks even after break-in. It'll take some getting use to depending on how heavy your foot is, haha.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Mags

Thanks for the feedback, Waldo. It's my understanding that the CC issue only occurs in 2003-2004 Z's, with 2004 1/2 being the approximate cutoff. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

It will be tough to baby it at first but maybe just a few short bursts won't hurt...;-)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 PM
myGspot

Originally Posted by waldo36
Well not sure if model year matters or not, but my '03 5AT with 3.7 gear, I have no CC. I turn it on and the light just flashes.

But I wouldn't change it back at all. I love have the 3.7 gear because you really get to take advantage of the low-end torque if you have supporting mods. Just take'er easy for a couple of weeks even after break-in. It'll take some getting use to depending on how heavy your foot is, haha.
Did you swap out the LSD as well or stuck with OEM?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

swapped with an '05 VLSD, gave the shop a rebuild kit with bearings and seals, and had them install the 3.7 gears.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Mags

Differential is ready. $500 for the rebuild. He said he had to pull it apart 4 or 5 times to get the shaft run-out right with shims, not a simple procedure...

I'll pick it up when I get back from the UK, then slap it in. Stay tuned.