Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine knock on startup and low oil pressure help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Ace_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock on startup and low oil pressure help

Hello everyone I’m new to the Z community and Pistons in general as I own a Mazda Rx8. My brother owns a 2005 350z with approx 100k miles on. I have just recently replaced both crankshaft positioning sensors after it had problems starting and maintaining idle. Now I have run into another issue where the engine knocks on startup (it was actually there before to but came and went)and goes away when it gets to normal operating temp. However when I get on it the knock comes back and gradually gets louder in the higher rpms. Along with this while looking at the oil pressure it doesn’t get over the first dash. Lastly it dies frequently only when I come to a stop in traffic but when I’m parked seems to idle normally. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:16 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

What mods does it have?

Knock could be anything but he is putting 91 or higher in it (its required).

Oil pressure might be a bad sensor but if you actually want to diagnose get a oil pressure gauge, harbor freight has an affordable one, and check. If you want to throw parts at it use OEM as the Z doesn't always do well with aftermarket sensors.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Mine literally started doing this Monday. Make sure your timing chain tensioner and guides are in fact and in good shape, then make sure they didn't skip any teeth.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Ace_350z

Originally Posted by rancor
What mods does it have?

Knock could be anything but he is putting 91 or higher in it (its required).

Oil pressure might be a bad sensor but if you actually want to diagnose get a oil pressure gauge, harbor freight has an affordable one, and check. If you want to throw parts at it use OEM as the Z doesn't always do well with aftermarket sensors.
Car is pretty much stock if it’s oil pressure I wanted to ask what’s the chances it’s the oil pump?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Ace_350z

Originally Posted by CK_32
Mine literally started doing this Monday. Make sure your timing chain tensioner and guides are in fact and in good shape, then make sure they didn't skip any teeth.
Lol this might be a stupid question to ask but how exactly would I do this. Correct me if I’m wrong but heard there was a cover on the top right or left of the engine I could remove to peek and check the chains?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes there is 4 or 2 on each side IIRC.

That's just to see the water pump, section of the chain and the passenger side tensioner. To actually see the full chain and cam gears you need to remove the lower and upper oil pans and the entire front cover.

But you might be able to find your issue from those peek windows. But you may need to open the full cover for the full inspection. I think that's where I'm at right now
Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace_350z
Car is pretty much stock if it’s oil pressure I wanted to ask what’s the chances it’s the oil pump?
Unlikely and if the oil pump is bad the whole engin should likely be seized. I don't remember hearing about oil pump failures on the VQ.