Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 04:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

i was just saying that i said the same thing about the z06, it was my dream car. i think my next money pit will be a c6 zr1
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by NaaNee00
Thanks! I would like to say that I have stumbled across your thread a few weeks ago
I will gladly make a thread for myself (its a great idea!)

I have gone through a ton of posts on here and some people are relentless with their comments, I'm not taking any offense from them. They have their own thing, I have my own thing.
That being said, I still their comments into consideration when planning on what to do (like you said, they probably and most definitely do have more experience than I do)

My 5 year plan? I want a sick track car with at least 500HP; I know it'll cost a **** ton of money but I really don't care. I'll say the same thing I said in my last comment, my 350z is my baby and it's my dream car, I'm going to keep it forever and I'm just going to drop a few dimes here and there to work my way up.

Before spring, I think I'm installing a CAI, a test pipe, and a y pipe. Sound good or nah?
Maybe just make this your build page …
yea - keep reading & researching … everything you want/need to know is out there.
make a plan for the car … 500hp isn't that that lofty but will cost some money. If you can bring it down to 425hp it'll save you $5k (as you wont have to build the block). You could look into some weight saving measures to compensate for the ~75hp you are missing out on. 425hp will cost you between $5k-$7k. Some of this expense can be picked up along the way (such as the exhaust / intake mods)

The CAI, pipes, Y-pipe, exhaust is a good place to start. You should also look into a plenum spacer and look into the motordyne lower plenum - both will open the intake up. You will also need to tune - look into Uprev, Even with all these mods and a tune you might see a 15hp to 20hp gain - it's not much.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:11 AM
NaaNee00

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i was just saying that i said the same thing about the z06, it was my dream car. i think my next money pit will be a c6 zr1

Oh I must've missed that part, my bad. I am for sure buying an old school pickup truck like a 67' Chevy and hopefully an Audi R8
Old 02-26-2019, 08:22 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by bealljk

The CAI, pipes, Y-pipe, exhaust is a good place to start. You should also look into a plenum spacer and look into the motordyne lower plenum - both will open the intake up. You will also need to tune - look into Uprev, Even with all these mods and a tune you might see a 15hp to 20hp gain - it's not much.
I saw a Takeda short ram air intake that said it adds an "extra 19bhp and 16flt/lbs of torque to your 350z", costs $295, a Stillen gen 3 ultra long intake that "offers a dyno proven additional 20bhp at the wheels", costs $495. You think these are ********ting me? You mentioned $5-7k for 425 HP?!?! I was willing to spend $7k my car this year anyways lol, but I'm thinking of investing some money and then spend some.

How come some people say the plenum spacers are crap while others don't? You think it helps? I always thought a plenum spacer helped, I mean it seems logical... I mean after all more air = more power... right?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM
travlee
Master

since you have an hr, there is no plenum spacer available (at least last i checked, its been years)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 AM
travlee
Master

and btw, never believe the manufacturers numbers. i went with the takeda mainly because for the stillen, from what i remember, you had to take off the bumper when it comes time to clean the filters
The following users liked this post:
NaaNee00 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

since you have an hr
totally missed that!!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Check my build, I have my Z for 10 years now and started same as you are with 0 knowledge on this forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-03-350z.html
The following 3 users liked this post by Staisman:
bealljk (02-26-2019), jhc (02-26-2019), NaaNee00 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:43 AM
NaaNee00

since you have an hr, there is no plenum spacer available (at least last i checked, its been years)
How come?
Couldn't I just get bigger plenum still?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:56 AM
travlee
Master

I think they increased it from the factory. They do sell a aftermarket plenum, may be z1 that has it
Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by Staisman
Check my build, I have my Z for 10 years now and started same as you are with 0 knowledge on this forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-03-350z.html
Could you send my a picture, or put it on your thread, about how you lift your car up without an actual lift? Pretty impressive.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:43 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Honestly if you want that much power don't bother with intakes as you will likely need FI. It's a waste if money, just do HFC or TP and an exhaust and then save up for whatever form of FI you want to go with
NaaNee00 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Honestly if you want that much power don't bother with intakes as you will likely need FI. It's a waste if money, just do HFC or TP and an exhaust and then save up for whatever form of FI you want to go with
To make sure I'm getting you correctly:

HFC = High flow cats
TP = test pipes
? If I'm correct on those acronyms, then yes I'm planning on getting test pipes some time in the next week or so, just thinking whether I want to get test pipes and back (exhaust etc.) completely done, or test pipes and front (headers, etc.) done.

I'm thinking of getting TTs, from everything I know TT's are better in higher RPMs.
Do the TTs (or any form of FI) get rid of your intakes?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Youre correct on HFC and TP. Know that you need to tune your car to optimize those mods. If you get a traditional (Uprev, Haltech, Link, AEM) tuning device you'll be able to use that for your future mods.

Twin turbos are better at lower / mid RPMs - as they use smaller turbos that will spool-up easier versus a single larger turbo.

Likely a twin turbo kit will eliminate any aftermarket intake kit. Maybe not all but most. Do more research once you determine which kit you want.
NaaNee00 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:41 AM
NaaNee00

If you get a traditional (Uprev, Haltech, Link, AEM) tuning device you'll be able to use that for your future mods.

Twin turbos are better at lower / mid rpms- as they use smaller turbos that will spool-up easier versus a single larger turbo.
"If you get a traditional (Uprev, Haltech, Link, AEM) tuning device you'll be able to use that for your future mods."
- I've never really trusted the do it yourself tuning devices, do they actually work? I would rather know that someone else has properly done it then to use a handheld device that I don't even know if it works; my brother has one for his Mustang GT, but I couldn't tell a difference.

"Twin turbos are better at lower / mid rpms- as they use smaller turbos that will spool-up easier versus a single larger turbo."
- I meant turbos in general are better in the higher rpms then a supercharger, only because the supercharger gives instant power but the turbos have the lag. Again, this is from what I've heard from around this forum, if this information is incorrect please let me know.

A single big turbo typically generates more high end HP, but has more lag compared to twins, right? I haven't made my mind up about turbos, I just know I want turbos over a supercharger.
(P.S. I'm just trying to build one hell of a f'ing sleeper to dust the kids on the highway pretty much, so mid-high rpm mods are what I'm going for... at least I think that's what I want to do.)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Naa - use the 'Quote' button when you reply...

I've never really trusted the do it yourself tuning devices, do they actually work? I would rather know that someone else has properly done it then to use a handheld device that I don't even know if it works; my brother has one for his Mustang GT, but I couldn't tell a difference.
I like you Naa - you're alright in my book...so I wont grill you on the aforementioned tuning platforms. Rather, google each one of those and see what comes up. None of them are hand-helds but rather full (or near full) spectrum tuning solutions.

I meant turbos in general are better in the higher rpms then a supercharger, only because the supercharger gives instant power but the turbos have the lag. Again, this is from what I've heard from around this forum, if this information is incorrect please let me know.

A single big turbo typically generates more high end HP, but has more lag compared to twins, right? I haven't made my mind up about turbos, I just know I want turbos over a supercharger.
(P.S. I'm just trying to build one hell of a f'ing sleeper to dust the kids on the highway pretty much, so mid-high rpm mods are what I'm going for... at least I think that's what I want to do.)
Both superchargers and turbos have their pros and cons so figure out what you want and then research other peoples builds and do what's best for you.

Turbo lag (as I understand it) is more a function of how much piping (volume) you have between two separate systems:

#1 - the back of the exhaust valves and the hotside of the turbo
#2 - the cold side of the turbo and the back of the intake valves

The turbo has to generate and compress a volume of air at a rate faster than what the engine is consuming it.
For instance - If you look at my previous greddy twin turbo build I had a good amount of intake pipe between the turbo and the intake valves … the turbos had to compress a large volume of air (faster than the engine was consuming the air) to build boost.
On my current build I am doing my absolute best to eliminate and/or minimize as much exhaust pipe as possible and as much intake pipe as possible - thus reducing the amount of volume of air the turbo has to compress before boost is built.

A good book you should pick up is Cork Bell's Maximum Boost and/or Supercharged.

build a sleeper and have fun with it but don't race people on public roadways/highways. Take it to a track. Depending on where you're at and definitely where I'm at the 'kids' have far inferior cars (a civic with an intake, knock off wheels, and a universal wing constitutes a build. Simply not worth my time, the threat of getting caught, nor the chance of an accident. Besides, I have nothing to prove to them...same reason I don't play basketball against elementary school kids.

Last edited by bealljk; 03-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 AM
NaaNee00

Naa - use the 'Quote' button when you reply...

I like you Naa - you're alright in my book...so I wont grill you on the aforementioned tuning platforms. Rather, google each one of those and see what comes up. None of them are hand-helds but rather full (or near full) spectrum tuning solutions.

Both superchargers and turbos have their pros and cons so figure out what you want and then research other peoples builds and do what's best for you.

Turbo lag (as I understand it) is more a function of how much piping (volume) you have between two separate systems:

#1 - the back of the exhaust valves and the hotside of the turbo
#2 - the cold side of the turbo and the back of the intake valves

The turbo has to generate and compress a volume of air at a rate faster than what the engine is consuming it.
For instance - If you look at my previous greddy twin turbo build I had a good amount of intake pipe between the turbo and the intake valves … the turbos had to compress a large volume of air (faster than the engine was consuming the air) to build boost.
On my current build I am doing my absolute best to eliminate and/or minimize as much exhaust pipe as possible and as much intake pipe as possible - thus reducing the amount of volume of air the turbo has to compress before boost is built.

A good book you should pick up is Cork Bell's Maximum Boost and/or Supercharged.

build a sleeper and have fun with it but don't race people on public roadways/highways. Take it to a track. Depending on where you're at and definitely where I'm at the 'kids' have far inferior cars (a civic with an intake, knock off wheels, and a universal wing constitutes a build. Simply not worth my time, the threat of getting caught, nor the chance of an accident. Besides, I have nothing to prove to them...same reason I don't play basketball against elementary school kids.
You can grill me whenever you want haha, I won't mind it.
You do make a good point about the civics on the highways lmao
Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Acronyms were right, all FI kits for these cars will come with their own intakes so no need to waste money on that. Keep in mind there are different styles of superchargers and they behave differently. Superchargers are generally easier on the engine as well.