Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bounced off the rev limiter. Consequences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:51 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bounced off the rev limiter. Consequences?

I took my Z out of storage a little over one week ago. So far this year I have bounced it off the rev limiter like 3 times! Idk what's wrong with me. What are the consequences for doing this as much as I have recently?

I have another question. Whenever I really accelerate to high rpms, the car smells strange. Like an oil burning type smell. It happens almost instantly when I launch the car and drive up to about 80 and back off. I smell it for about 15 seconds. MY Z only has about 7300 miles on it, and I know it's not the catalytic converter smell (entirely different smell). Nor is the smell from burning rubber, I know what that smells liek too My car has always had the smell I described above. I was just wondering if it's normal. BTW, I've had one oil change so far.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Bounced off the rev limiter. Consequences?
DEATH!!!!

j/k, probably not a big deal but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:19 PM
328skidpad

Default do it daily

I have been driving stick for 15 yrs and push my z to its limits daily. I have hit the rev limiter at least 200 times to date. dont worry.
remember the window sticker "fuels the rebellious spirit" dont worry at least the nissan engineers realized our need for speed.
rev on...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:52 PM
ranger5oh

Thats the point of the revlimiter... to not hurt your engine. So dont worry. It honestly doesnt matter.

As for the smell, I would bet it is your clutch. On a hard launsh your clutch will get HOT, and when you run it like a bat out of hell.. it gets hotter.. then it smells. I am sure we have all smelled it, anyone who drives stick long enough knows the clutch smell.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:00 PM
AParshall04

clutch smell is the worst smell in the world. Try starting the car out of 3rd or 4th, youll smell it.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:12 PM
12SecZ

What is this clutch you all speak of??
Old 03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
peptidbond

Originally posted by 12SecZ
What is this clutch you all speak of??
HA!

As for clutch smell, it is a horrible putrid metalic smell. Everytime my G/F drove my car, that is all I could smell in the garage. Hence, no more driving by anyone but me. She actually argued that it was more important for her to drive the Z than it was for me to save my $500 clutch. Argh!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Dang. Why btf out of your motors so much??? Sounds like you guys have a lot of money to play! Blown motors...blown trannys...keep it up! Lolz...
Old 03-11-2004, 03:13 PM
03G35s

I think the quote in your sig says it all...

Originally posted by VQ35Kompressor
Dang. Why btf out of your motors so much??? Sounds like you guys have a lot of money to play! Blown motors...blown trannys...keep it up! Lolz...
Old 03-11-2004, 03:37 PM
PainProphet

Originally posted by peptidbond
HA!

As for clutch smell, it is a horrible putrid metalic smell. Everytime my G/F drove my car, that is all I could smell in the garage. Hence, no more driving by anyone but me. She actually argued that it was more important for her to drive the Z than it was for me to save my $500 clutch. Argh!
that girlfriend=BOOT
Old 03-11-2004, 04:14 PM
MySunset350Z

lol, i probably bounce off the rev limiter a good 8-12times with every burn out at the track. gotta warm up those M/T's.

like someone has already said. its to prevent damage to your engine. so if you do bounce off of it, then its doing its job and keeping your engine happy.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:45 PM
jreiter

I do understand that the point of the rev limiter is to prevent you from blowing your engine, but from the way I understand it it seems like they can also be dangerous, too. Don't they simply cut the flow from the fuel injectors? If that's the case, wouldn't that result in an instant severe lean condition?

Does anyone know the technical details behind how the Z limiter works... or limiters on other cars?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:21 PM
phile

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. No, the smell i'm speaking of isn't a clutch smell. I forgot to mention I have smelled that before also :P The smell i'm talking about reminds me of burning oil.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:48 PM
john98r

You may be smelling exhaust. I know some people have complained about an exhaust smell when accelerating hard. I don't know if that's what it is but the same thing happens to me.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 PM
phile

Originally posted by john98r
You may be smelling exhaust. I know some people have complained about an exhaust smell when accelerating hard. I don't know if that's what it is but the same thing happens to me.
Wow, I think you may have helped me fill in an obvious gap! If the exhaust smell you're talking about is independent of the catalytic converter smell (in other words, they are two different smells), then that's probably my answer. I never once considered that it was an exhaust smell leaking out(pre-cat), because I always associted any bad exhuast smell with the sulfury smell of the cats while idling. I'm amazed that never really dawned on me. Thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 03:35 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Ha, last week I bounced off the rev limiter merging onto I-25 to get in a run against my buds motorcycle. Needless to say my left side tensioner pulley came off making me loose my power steering & alternator. Taking a turn @ 60 mph on 19x8 inch front wheels and realizing you have no power steering is not quite a wonderful moment lol.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:45 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha, I bounce it off my 7200 rev limiter. No harm done.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 AM
mpol99

Originally posted by Juztin
Ha, last week I bounced off the rev limiter merging onto I-25 to get in a run against my buds motorcycle. Needless to say my left side tensioner pulley came off making me loose my power steering & alternator. Taking a turn @ 60 mph on 19x8 inch front wheels and realizing you have no power steering is not quite a wonderful moment lol.
Do you have the UR or stock pulley????
Pulley coming off from hitting the rev limiter sounds weird to me....
Old 03-12-2004, 03:25 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by VandyZ
Hahaha, I bounce it off my 7200 rev limiter. No harm done.
Yeah, I wouldn't think doing it once here and there would hurt the car. I'm just worried about these folks that hit the thing on a regular basis. I mean... it *can't* be good for the engine, right? It's just such a harsh occurance on the system as a whole. Granted, it's better than overreving past redline (which is definitely destructive!), but I would guess it's still bad if done often enough.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:26 PM
phile

Originally posted by Juztin
Jesus! Why did that happen? Glad to hear nothing bad happened.

Quick Reply: Bounced off the rev limiter. Consequences?