Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My last Dyno with JWT Cams

Old 05-04-2004, 07:27 AM
webcarconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes I know what you mean... but my friend the owner of the dyno never use it... I guess he don't know how it work... sorry!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:33 AM
SQUILL

Originally posted by thawk408
Do you need to use different valve springs or is it ok to use the factory ones?
Yes Titanium Valvesprings and retainers are Reccomended for any cam that increase the lift.

If you are going to spend the whip for a set of agressive cams and the 8 or so labor hours to have them installed it would be a serious mistake not to upgrade the factory springs while you've got the heads off the car.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:31 PM
thawk408

Does JWT make Titanium Valvesprings and Retainers?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:35 PM
350z4steve

they provide upgrades for your springs ..yes!

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=448
Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 PM
scz

Getting titanium springs with the max n/a setup definitely helps with reliability, however, I wouldn't think that it would be absolutely necessary until you start revving higher than stock limits because valve float would be more of a concern.

valve float - when the valve on its way to closing, but the cam is moving so fast (high hp) that the spring can't keep up and the valve stays open because the lifter cup "floats" under the cam lobe.

Last edited by scz; 06-15-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Zexy

I wonder how the motor would respond with higher compression on these camshafts.

They are top end power cams? I would not use these on a FI setup. Each to his own, nice #'s.

You should definately get this tuned. I wouldn't be surprised to see you hit the 300 mark.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:58 AM
dimebagdolf

Does anybody have dyno results with Nismo cams?
What are they good for? About 15hp to the wheels or so?

Are they smog legal in california?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:43 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Zexy
I wonder how the motor would respond with higher compression on these camshafts.

They are top end power cams? I would not use these on a FI setup. Each to his own, nice #'s.

You should definately get this tuned. I wouldn't be surprised to see you hit the 300 mark.
JWT made this cams having in mind the TT kit for our cars... Is OK to put them in a FI set up

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
zzzya

Not only are they ok, they are the most recommended cams for FI out there for our cars.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

suppose that depends who you ask

They will work for FI though, as will NISMO. Neither are the best choice IMHO (Tomei would be due to the equal duration)
Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Zmego1985

Ferrea sells a whole kit, dual coil springs, titanium retainers, moon locks, and the 1mm larger intake and exhaust valves. But make sure after the valve job you measure your lifters from the heal of the cam, or youll be like me lol taking the motor apart to fix it. The whole kit goes for about $1600, and they are stainless steel inconel valves witch can handle nitrous.

Thanks Glen
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
suppose that depends who you ask

They will work for FI though, as will NISMO. Neither are the best choice IMHO (Tomei would be due to the equal duration)
The JWT cams have an equal duration as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Purple_Peer

hi dogs

im from germany and realy love my blue z.
well i allready got some mods like the borla headers and the injen cai. the greddy evo2 exhaust will be ordered next weak i hope.

see i also want to put some cams into my z. i think i will get the JWT cams, but im not sure if the fit cuz of the idle rpm, they say it may requires a correction. my engine is a 04 rev. seems i got a 50 percent chance or something

the main reason i write is the installation of the cams. may some of you can tell me if its hard to do or show some installation pics for helping me to decide if iīm going to do it on my own. i got some mechanical experience like changing pistons on a 125ccm dirtbike or something but the engine of the z is a way more expensive...

thanks a lot for helping me!

peer

Last edited by Purple_Peer; 01-08-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 PM
ZON

Originally posted by Purple_Peer
hi dogs

im from germany and realy love my blue z.
well i allready got some mods like the borla headers and the injen cai. the greddy evo2 exhaust will be ordered next weak i hope.

see i also want to put some cams into my z. i think i will get the JWT cams, but im not sure if the fit cuz of the idle rpm, they say it may requires a correction. my engine is a 04 rev. seems i got a 50 percent chance or something

the main reason i write is the installation of the cams. may some of you can tell me if its hard to do or show some installation pics for helping me to decide if iīm going to do it on my own. i got some mechanical experience like changing pistons on a 125ccm dirtbike or something but the engine of the z is a way more expensive...

thanks a lot for helping me!

peer
Kid's don't try this at home!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Purple_Peer

Originally posted by throbbing_Zon
Kid's don't try this at home!
is it so difficult to install some cams? wheres the problem? no one wanna explain....
see if im going to a tuning store they only install parts iīve bought there, and they want fu..ing money for doing that in germany.
for example: nismo cams and installation will cost about ~3800 dollars (~2900 Euro) in germany. that sucks sooo hard i doīwanna spent that much money just for a cam installation and the expensive cams at all.

if i could do it on my own i only gotta pay for the cams and thats more less then the half...

c ya
Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
webcarconnection

The installetion of the cams if very hard... got to put out everything there... I believe is a 15 to 18 hour job but if you want to put it yourself go for it... but you have to buy the Manual CD of the car (Try ebay) because there is some nuts and some parts that goes with some kind of torque... or look for other shop.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
zzzya

The install is very time consuming with a lot of parts to be removed. Then you need to install the cams which is much easier with at least two people so you can keep the cams in place. Then you need to make sure all of your clearances are correct and if not, you would potentially need some extra parts (most cam installs have been ok here but the Tomei cams have needed parts and there is a chance others could run into this). Then comes the reinstall of all the parts you removed including the timing chain which is something that may require at least two people if not three to help get it on properly. This is a crucial step and it is not hard to get it wrong!! You need to make sure all marked points on the timing chain line up perfectly or you could damage you valves and potentially other internal parts as a result. There is also the pain of re-sealing everything so that you do not end up with fluid leaks such as oil spitting out everywhere after you are done. Man what a pain in the a$$. There is a reason it is expensive to have them installed, it simply takes a lot of time and if you are not sure of what you are doing, it will take a very long time.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Purple_Peer

thanks for yah replys dudes

damn it i guess itīll gonna be hard because of the timings and stuff...
im gonna take a look into the manual if the explainanation is ok and then im gonna decide me.
but how are you guys doing the re -sealing, are you using the old gasket again?

thanks a lot
Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
juice79

Excellent numbers!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Purple_Peer
thanks for yah replys dudes

damn it i guess itīll gonna be hard because of the timings and stuff...
im gonna take a look into the manual if the explainanation is ok and then im gonna decide me.
but how are you guys doing the re -sealing, are you using the old gasket again?

thanks a lot
If you can buy a gasket kit... just in case!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My last Dyno with JWT Cams