Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

*Downshifting with ManuMatic**Bad????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 08:13 AM
maserom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Downshifting with ManuMatic**Bad????

Just wondering how bad it is to down shift in manual mode with an automatic. I've been doing it more often lately, especially at higher RPM's, just can't resist the sound! For instance in 3rd at 4500-5000 rpm i'll downshift to 2nd. How bad is that for the Trans?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:20 AM
narkotic

Of course it's not bad, thats what it's designed for. You've got a warranty, beat the hell out of it.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: *Downshifting with ManuMatic**Bad????

Originally posted by maserom
Just wondering how bad it is to down shift in manual mode with an automatic. I've been doing it more often lately, especially at higher RPM's, just can't resist the sound! For instance in 3rd at 4500-5000 rpm i'll downshift to 2nd. How bad is that for the Trans?
MaseRom:

Let's look at what you are saying... You are driving along in Third Gear at 5000 RPM then you shift it into Second.....

Then what is the RPM in Second?

Or Maybe you meant.

I'm driving along in third, and I shift into Second and I'm up to about 4500 to 5000 RPM..

That would be somthing entirely different.

P.S. Did you buy the Gold Extended Warantee? You should, if you haven't.

You Can buy this after the initial purchase.. Within a certian period of time.

Cheers Amy -
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Sins4u33

i dunno i do it all the time....not too worried if i drop my tranny though....only thing i can think of if the oil temp in the gearbox gets hot from down shifting and upshifting...i dunno about you but when i am driving around i love to stay in the powerband and whiplash the **** out of my passenger and myself the fealing of my Z is great especially with the intake noise nearing redline sooo loud!!

Ben
Old 04-17-2004, 10:52 PM
joust75

Yes its bad doing it all the time. Auto trans dont have a clutch that can be gradually engaged. Instead it has a torque converter that engages best at a set RPM.
frequent downshifts and full throttle mash-the-accelerator-off-the-line starts will shorten the life of your trans. If yyou havae the extended warranty, do what you want. Otherwise you should take it easy on the downshifts.
I know because I blew an auto tranny years ago. I havent owned one since. 12secz beats the **** out of his torque converter at the track so you might want to pm him and see how his is holding up. I do believe reading that he was looking around for a strengthened torque converter for drag racing. MAybe he blew his oem one already.
Good luck. Next time, if you want to shift, buy a manual!