Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Apexi N1 owners...info please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Hamy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi N1 owners...info please

I'm confused about the Apexi N1 exhaust. I've always loved the look and sound of the N1 on most all other cars but on the Z its not a very popular exhaust. The non stainless y-pipe back exhaust is less than $500 and for that money it seems hard to beat. My question is what makes people dislike this exhaust? Hows it sound...loud, deep, raspy? Every site I go to has the same picture of it does anyone else have a better shot. I like the twin canister look in an exhaust and I can't make up my mind to save my life. So if someone could give me solid advice that would be great.

Last edited by Hamy; 11-03-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use this link...

http://www.crawfordz.com/chris.htm

I have two videos linked that should give you a good idea what this exhaust sounds like.

Note it's the N1 exhaust, Fujitsubo Y-Pipe, and Crawford Cats.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:20 PM
shinz

heres a few pics

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=696264

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=696263

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=696261
Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Hamy

Wow great info! Is that the same exact exhaust as the one in the link below? Do I see three mufflers in the back...one in the middle, then two stainless canisters? Also compaired to the 30+ other exhaust systems...where does this fall in terms of loudness? Middle to high?

http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/p...oducts_id=2241
Old 11-03-2004, 09:26 PM
kzshin

the Apex'i N1 exhaust's design for Z is acutally really bad. Too many restriction that's not good for the flow. That's why Apex'i Japan's N1 exhaust for Z has completely different design than the US version. I am waiting for the Japanese version to be released, just dunno when.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:07 PM
shinz

Yea its the same as the one shown in the pic you posted. I guess it would fall in the mid/high category. I can't tell you for sure since i haven't heard the other exhausts. maybe someone else can answer that one.

Originally posted by Hamy
Wow great info! Is that the same exact exhaust as the one in the link below? Do I see three mufflers in the back...one in the middle, then two stainless canisters? Also compaired to the 30+ other exhaust systems...where does this fall in terms of loudness? Middle to high?

http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/p...oducts_id=2241
Old 11-04-2004, 04:42 AM
Hamy

Originally posted by kzshin
the Apex'i N1 exhaust's design for Z is acutally really bad. Too many restriction that's not good for the flow. That's why Apex'i Japan's N1 exhaust for Z has completely different design than the US version. I am waiting for the Japanese version to be released, just dunno when.
So would this explain the low cost of the non stainless exhaust? I was under the impression that most exhaust systems for the Z gain the same HP give or take 1. Its not like Apexi to produce a bad product. Plus I dont think the guys from Crawford would use this exhaust if it was really a poor design.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:53 AM
VandyZ

. . . waits for Chris' response.

I will give you my take . . . sound is not for me, but it flows just fine.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:21 AM
kzshin

it flows fine, but not as good as other N1, plus, the extra canister increased the weight. Apex'i can do better than that, and they knew it. That's why they changed the design in Japan.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 AM
PhoenixINX

Okay, sure.

My AIM is below, PM me... and let's discuss exhaust theory.

Quick tip... the traditional N1 design that Apex has used for years not only sounded like a$$ on the Z, but also didn't gain ANY power. These being (trad. N1s) the straight through pipe with only a canister, and at times a resonator.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 11-04-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Hamy

^^ Its safe to assume that you have heard a bunch of different exhausts for the Z...how would you rank this one "loudness" wise?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:21 PM
NJDAN

I have this exhaust and it sounds nice, as far as HP dont know what difference it made but it sounds alot nicer then stock.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:50 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Hamy
^^ Its safe to assume that you have heard a bunch of different exhausts for the Z...how would you rank this one "loudness" wise?
If stock was a 1...

Then the Injen, and other straight pipe designs were a 10...

This is easily a 7.

Whereas Borla would be a 3, Nismo a 4.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 PM
GTO2350

i have a single exhaust apexi n1 turbo muffler with 2.5 inch catback custom with gruppe s ypipe i'll take pics and sound clips and post them 2morrow sounds alot different than the dual n1 sounds alot better deeper no rasp sounds really good
Old 11-05-2004, 07:13 AM
kzshin

Okay, sure.
My AIM is below, PM me... and let's discuss exhaust theory.
Quick tip... the traditional N1 design that Apex has used for years not only sounded like a$$ on the Z, but also didn't gain ANY power. These being (trad. N1s) the straight through pipe with only a canister, and at times a resonator.
1st of all, I don't need to aim you and discuss exhaust theory. Because it's is true Apex'i is revising their US version of N1 design for Z to their N1 design for other cars. which is the straight through pipe with only a canister, and at times a resonator.

If the first design is that good, then they won't spend the money to do 2nd design. Acutally there 2 different new design, and one of them is single big pipe and single outlet.

and If you understand the exhaust design, you can see that the US version of the exhaust is derived from Hybrid megaphon, with two N1 canister. This design adds weight, and this type of exhust usually has less flow then say like Greddy EVOII or original N1.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
MrGoingdown305

Originally posted by GTO2350
i have a single exhaust apexi n1 turbo muffler with 2.5 inch catback custom with gruppe s ypipe i'll take pics and sound clips and post them 2morrow sounds alot different than the dual n1 sounds alot better deeper no rasp sounds really good
hook it up
Old 11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
PhoenixINX

1st of all, I don't need to aim you and discuss exhaust theory. Because it's is true Apex'i is revising their US version of N1 design for Z to their N1 design for other cars. which is the straight through pipe with only a canister, and at times a resonator.

If the first design is that good, then they won't spend the money to do 2nd design. Acutally there 2 different new design, and one of them is single big pipe and single outlet.

and If you understand the exhaust design, you can see that the US version of the exhaust is derived from Hybrid megaphon, with two N1 canister. This design adds weight, and this type of exhust usually has less flow then say like Greddy EVOII or original N1.
Dude, your basis of debate is strictly because they are designing a new N1. You haven't told to me, or anyone WHY they are doing it. You come up with that, and I'll listen... Apex RAVED about their N1 design which I am running.

You honestly want to know why I bet they are redesigning it... The original N1 hit the EVAP canisters casing!!! You have to remove the EVAP cover otherwise it rattles terribly! This in turn would cause a redesign!

Come on dude, step up with something to help us all understand... otherwise you're spouting assumption.