Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM
lex350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveO
My dyno-butt likes the results.
DaveO
lol
I've done some porting work with my Dremel Tool. I had planned to hit this project on my 300hp upper, lower.
Good Luck and thanks for the pictures.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 PM
aleok

Originally Posted by DaveO
Answering the second part of you question is easy. All the lower collectors I've seen (maybe 35 or 40) are rougher on the inside than the upper collector's outer surface.

It's real hard to answer the first part of your question... at least for me.
Are you real good with controlling power tools. How about doing tedious, detailed work? You know one serious slip with a cutter or grinding wheel and the collector's mating surface is history. Your description of tools--a power drill and grinding bits--leads me to believe you may not have a background in this type of work. If you don't this might not be the best project to start with.

bilinghm, please add your thoughts. Your descriptions, observations, measuring marks and milling results indicates to me you're real familiar with these types of modifications.

DaveO
Yea, im not that famialier with this kind of work, but i want to become famialier with it, and am willing to. i have done some engine mods myself, like intake and the MD spacer. idk i you would have to polish that (the inner lip). would it be harder to polish the outside of the upper collector or to do what you did? thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 05:45 AM
bilinghm

This job is not that hard, anyone with the interest and determination CAN do it.

My suggestion is to buy a second lower plenum, plan and measure, then take your time. Believe me, a large file, yes a file, can do all of the work I did with the milling machine. The grinding can be file work too. Or, instead of a fancy air powered die grinder, use a small right angle grinder. A angle grinder will remove aluminum in a flash with great control too.

I will be using a die grinder, and an angle grinder, both electric, both Sears Craftsman. I will also use a Dremel, and lots of emery cloth by hand.

Final finishing will be with scotch brite pads. I expect to have all the grinding and finishing completed today. I'll post more pictures tonight.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:46 PM
bilinghm

The grinding and polishing are complete! I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. Probably about 4 or 5 hours of work, much of it learning and going slow. Next step is to find a shop that will do a before/after dyno. Has anyone tried Allspeed in Peachtree City GA?
Attached Thumbnails DIY plenum porting-finish5.jpg   DIY plenum porting-finish4.jpg   DIY plenum porting-finish3.jpg   DIY plenum porting-finish2.jpg   DIY plenum porting-finish1.jpg  

Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
03_Track_Z

why did you only thin out one runner on each side instead of all 3?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 PM
aleok

^yeah. Why? so to the unexperianced, like me, your simply removing a thin layer of aluminum from only the top of the runners? all of them? or just the 2 back one?

Last edited by aleok; 04-30-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:09 AM
bilinghm

According to available information, the front runners flow significantly less air the the ones at the back. This is due to the forward slope of the plenum lid. This is why plenum spaces and replacement plenum lids are popular. They allow the 2 front cylinders to breate equally well as the rear 4. Testing has demonstrated that opening up more room above the front runners allows more air flow and equalizes the performance of all cylinders. If the other runners were also lowered, then you would be back where you started, the rear cylinders would be flowing more air. Sometimes less is more!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:54 AM
bilinghm

I'm curious what the guys who have purchased the Mrev+ think of this home made version. You guys have seen the design and workmanship of the top secret Mrev+, so how do they compare? I believe everyone following this thread would love some insights from you guys. Comments please.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats not ported.... this is ported, will have dynos soon
Attached Thumbnails DIY plenum porting-plenum-after.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
No kidding, THAT is ported! I must say that it is very interesting to see the full interior of each runner. I would predict that this might work out fairly well on a turbo car running big boost, but any tuned effect for a N/A car would be totally eliminated. This manifold would probably reduce low/mid range torque.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:42 AM
03_Track_Z

I REALLY want to see the dyno numbers for both of these, audiblemayhem that looks incredible! I sent you a PM about it just now
Old 05-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i am thinking i will pick up some nice hp NA in trade for loss of torque. i hope it doesnt move my powerband too high.

will know soon, its at the machine shop getting the holes filled when i disected it. it had a few holes that went to atmosphere. i filled them with an epoxy when i did it and put it on my car. it ran like crap cause i was with the stock ecu. now i have a utec so i can tune it accordingly. will have some dynos soon.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good guys!

Also would be interested to see if anyone has thought about porting this portion out aswell.

Later
Aceman
Attached Thumbnails DIY plenum porting-lower-manifold.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that a few of the turbo guys have had the y section that mates the the heads ported if I am not mistaken. I don't remember exactly what they did.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for Audiblemayhem's design. I was considering doing that back when i was turbo. I was gonna put it on a CNC machine and have it contoured and what not but I am not longer turbo so I can't see to many benefits. I would think that the design will work well and if someone made the CNC program (Charles???) this could be one of the most cost effecient HP gains for turbo cars.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro, thats gonna kill your entire power curve.

Anyways, I'm interested in your results.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i already ported my lower runners out about 1mm, also match ported it to the heads as well as i could with them still in the car. not sure if this helped yet cause i am still waiting for my tuner wb so i can tune this beast...

i will have it all in and probably dynoed in next couple weeks....

the lower runners have been in my car for a couple months now and not sure if they are being utilized like they should be without fine tuning it all...

if i get any gains outta my plenum then i will share exactly wht it would take your local machine/ welding shop to do. under 150 dollars for sure
Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Bro, thats gonna kill your entire power curve.

Anyways, I'm interested in your results.

trying to be innovative. if it kills my power curve, i will simply take it out and put my stock one back in

its done so no turning back, fab shop called a bit ago and said its ready to pick up!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trying to be innovative. if it kills my power curve, i will simply take it out and put my stock one back in

its done so no turning back, fab shop called a bit ago and said its ready to pick up!!!
Finally, I've been waiting for this Jeremy
Old 05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bilinghm
I'm curious what the guys who have purchased the Mrev+ think of this home made version. You guys have seen the design and workmanship of the top secret Mrev+, so how do they compare? I believe everyone following this thread would love some insights from you guys. Comments please.
Getting closer!
That was an early version of MREV+.

There is still a ways to go.

Hint: Thinking out of the box can also mean thinking out of (or beyond one) dimension or axis.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-01-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY plenum porting