Each year in May, I make a trip up to the NC mountains to hang out with what has to be the
best group of car people. Each year the same ones that came the year before return while we add new participants (read: victims) to the fray. ZdayZ is about way more than just Z cars but the Z car, along with the Infiniti G's and Nissan GTR's, are what draw people there initially. ZdayZ is like a family reunion for Nissan enthusiasts and everyone treats each other like their own. This year we had a record setting attendance count, we gave away a gratuitous amount of merch, we had a ****ton of fun, and this year brought Nissan's biggest involvement with our humble event yet.
Last year Nissan wow'd the ZdayZ crowd by bringing something no one stateside had seen on display at that point, the Juke-R concept vehicle. This was unprecedented for a company like Nissan to do, bringing a show car to a little event up in the mountains with no press around to cover it. Carl, head of the Nissan GTR program for North America at the time, told me then that it was his plan to continue to bring show stopping vehicles, perhaps concepts or at least unique cars specifically for ZdayZ each year going forward.
This year Nissan was there in full force with a nice showing of all their new performance models. But they had plans for us that we only found out about just a week before hand. Nissan was bringing the 2015 Nismo 370z to show publicly for the first time. The car came straight from Nissan Design in Japan to the Tail of the Dragon. No press, no media, just Z enthusiasts. The reveal went great and the response was fantastic from our crowd. Love it or hate it, we were the first people outside Nissan to see the new 2015 Nismo 370z. Later on, Carl asked my friend Kyle, a ZdayZ virgin photographer, and I to do a photoshoot of the new Z along with some of the other toys they brought along. These photos have now made their rounds on Nissan's social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Despite the crappy weather for most of the weekend we still all had a great time. I can't recommend checking out this event any stronger, it is truly unique in the automotive world, and who knows what Nissan will bring next year but I sure am excited to see it!
ZdayZ 2014 - JPMcG Photography
1. It was quite foggy Friday morning as Sharif's GTR guarded his spot on Vender Row
2. Z's of all generations flooded the parking lots as the bulk of the participants arrived Friday
3. Brian Kleeman unveiled his new racing livery Friday morning, this drew quite a crowd to the Z1 display
4. People flocked to see the "new" Z as we rolled into the main parking lot
5. A Z history photo showcasing each generation behind the new one
6. The Nismo "family portrait" from the photoshoot for Nissan. Nismo Juke RS on the left, the new Nismo 370z in the middle and the almighty Nismo GTR on the right
7. One by one the car show participants lined up for us Saturday morning, here we have the winner of the first annual Tape Wars!
8. Each year the exhaust competition gets better and better, a staple of the event now
Thanks for looking, there's plenty more in the album including all of the car show pictures and the results of the photoshoot for Nissan. If you are Bookface, tweeter, etc, and haven't done so already, please go like Kyle and my photos there! We want Nissan to know how awesome it is that they decided to use ZdayZ to unveil a new car in hopes the trend continues into the future!