Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need armrest support Left side

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Phamaggot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need armrest support Left side

I had to drive my "Z32" (sorry, I can't get used to that name for a 300Z TT coupe '93 manual tranny) for a couple of weeks while my new Enthusiast 350Z '05 got a dent fixed. The separation cleared my mind about what feels wrong when I drive the 350Z.
The clutch needs adjustment, and I've learned (here) how to do that... but there was a "something else" that was too vague: a "jenesaisquoi" deal until today when a lightbulb went off in my head.

"Duuuhhhh!!! It's the armrest , Stoooopid!"
Of course, it really really is. Driving a manual puts my right hand on the shifter much of the time, and if the left hand has no support under the elbow zone, then the arm tends to pull the wheel counterclockwise. In the 300Z my driver side door armrest is just right : support is comfy and practical. I do prefer to keep 2 hands on the wheel, but I like to have left arm support nonetheless... the driver armrest in my 350Z is about 2 or 3" too low. No fiddling with my tilt wheel or the seat height or position made a difference.

THis is going to be important: I will never love this car unless I address this. I'm 5'9" and 150 pounds, not deformed, stiff nor crippled.

Again- it isn't the center console I need more support from, but the Left arm, driver's door side rest. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:28 PM
kvn8

wut do u mean by the clutch needs adjustment??

and i dotn think the Z's doors cuold fit a proper armrest that would look "normal"
Old 02-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Phamaggot

Originally posted by kvn8 [/i]
"wut do u mean by the clutch needs adjustment??"

Take a peak at these 2 threads: lots of interest in Infiniti coup and 350Z clucth feeling bad
http://tinyurl.com/4k7gz
http://tinyurl.com/6swt2

"and i dotn think the Z's doors cuold fit a proper armrest that would look "normal"

Yeah, well I'm hoping someone out there is more clever, more creative than me, --someone with same body shape and comfort zone as me. Americans are very resourceful -- I have high hopes!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Z CRUZN

E-mail Doug Stewart at CrawfordZ in Nashville - last year he had an aftermarket arm rest for the driver's door that a freind of his was going to manufacture. Doug was a little skeptical of what the price was going to be, but I tried the arm rest out in his Z & it was PERFECT!! Reminds me...I need to check with him on this as well....Ha! doug@crawfordz.com
Old 02-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Phamaggot

Hey, Z CRUZN, I wrote your pal immediately! Thanks fer the lead, and I'll sure post his response to the board if he write me back email.
-Pham
Old 02-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Z CRUZN

Yeah, he's pretty busy at his shop in Nashville (CrawfordZ in Nashville...you know - Crawford plenums, cats & headers). You could also call him - their number is 615.327.4159 Let me know what he says. I know he's not picked up the pieces to sell in his business, but he might turn you on to the fella who was making them.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:11 AM
zerog

im also intrested in this arm rest... it just a lil too low in the z... any new info ????

thanks
ZeroG
Old 02-13-2005, 08:34 AM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just use the window sill but even at 6'3 its too high and a bit silly looking
Old 02-13-2005, 09:37 AM
zerog

lol... its not comfortable lol..i usually just keep left hand on top with right on shifter but on long drives man the left goes to sleep lol.. ... oh well i may just make something lol

ZeroG
Old 02-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Phamaggot

Smile Admit it y'all want left arm-shoulder support

"...Yeah, he's pretty busy at his shop in Nashville (CrawfordZ in Nashville...- their number is 615.327.4159 Let me know what he says...." -ZCRUZN

Welllll, I think I'd prefer not call on this guy when I only wrote him 1 day ago, and a Satdy it was too. Naw, I could wait a bit more, not to risk coming off a harrdon annoyance about it.

But I tell you what, cruzn:- I do love it to hear a gradual chorus of sheepish grunts agreeing that "Well, yeah--that *is* a bit annoying right there, now you mention it."

Why would we want to be silently bothered by an annoyance that 'd seem so clealy fix-able? What with having paid all the hard-earned money, to be content with this n that when they'll sure add up to the difference between loving the Z for 12-13 years (as I do my Z32 TT) versus just liking it.
That's wakt.

But I gotta say it, Cruz: I'm been lukewarm on my 'o5 Enth 350 6spd these 6 weeks. Yet I am starting to feel ... well , optimistic- we may be good friends yet, but I need to be clear -even harsh- to figure what stands between my 350 and pure joy.

Maybe ...just MAYbe... I can fix the devilish small things, one at a time.

Clutch --- Posture comfort/support --->
? Visibility. ? awkward shift to Reverse?
3rd gear ratio feels too low?

At least I'm sure on this: I will Not be messing with the sound of the engine: I never before noticed, cared, enjoyed such a silly trifle_

- But damn if doesn't please the heck outta me! I never thought I get pleasure from my pipes, but now I can't deny it!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Moved.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Phamaggot

"he's pretty busy at his shop..."-CRUZN

Well don't I feel dumber than usual, thanks CRUZN. Doug wrote me "Call me" and no more. Because why? Maybe beacuse I went to his site (linked in his email header) so I could see the guy is some kinda Z genius with all his mechanical optimizations to give performance upgrades.

Gees what I jerk he must a thought me w my dumb arm rest. Thanks to you old buddy! He wouldn't be much interested in my damn elbow!

Not without I first have a nitrous tank installed in my armpit!

Gees... almost like calling Bush to ask him where my nearest Post Office is located.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:32 AM
VandyZ

We can get you the armrest if you want it. PM me. Let me find some pictures for you.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:35 AM
mickey

Default Interested too

Originally posted by VandyZ
We can get you the armrest if you want it. PM me. Let me find some pictures for you.
Interested too. Please PM with pics and info.

TIA,
Mickey
Old 02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
sundevil67

I am only 5'6" but I feel your pain - that left elbow gets raw after a long drive. I would love to see some type of pad that we could install there. I would even be willing to have some custom cutting done if it looked clean. Please let us know what you find out.

AF
Old 02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Z CRUZN

Update..........I talked to Doug @ CrawfordZ earlier this week while having my JWT flywheel & clutch installed & yes, he can have the door armrest cushions made...in leather or vinyl. In leather they're gonna be pretty expensive - (talk to Doug for exact price). You have to remove your stock armrest pad & send it to Doug for the fabricating. I checked his out again while I was there & it is perfect in fitment, quality & comfort! Looks like another mod for me to do soon....... Oh, he can have them made to fit both doors as well for those of us wanting a "balanced" look - ha!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Phamaggot

THanks for the footwork, Z, and I've gone and PM'd Vandy with attention to your post.
I don't know the guys but sure don't want to be skipping over Van when he'd been kind enuf to respond initially.

It's real nice to see that some kinda options
may be out there for us...and there may be a lot of "us" too. Odd that no one has ever posted this nor offered a bugfix before me- I haven't ever noticed Z owners to be shy about making their rides as perfect as can be.

Heck, why'd anyone settle for a compromise in their favorite toy? It wouln't be worth being a grownup if you can't get better stuff -along with your mortgage, piles and nostril hairs.

PS
Oh yeah, we're all going to ask stuff like: if we send in the current armrest - (mine is charcoal vinyl, & the segment my elbow wants is the surface just aft of the ashstray-like hollow) can I remove that so there are no mechanical
items removed along with it...so I can continue to drive the car ?

And I'm sure we wonder if the installation of the enhanced version is something we can do ourselves if we're fairly handy guys?
Thanks agn, D

Last edited by Phamaggot; 02-25-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Maybe like a fold up armrest. Something that folds into a little recess in the door panel and fits flush. This would require extensive modification to and/or completely custom door panels. Probably not worth it unless you have a few grand to blow for an armrest.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Phamaggot

"...Probably not worth it unless you have a few grand to blow for an armrest...."

Hmmmm. Let me think about this...
" a grand or two to blow" Hmmmm.

Well, let's see:
If my liver popped out of my mouth, & then fell into the bowl of chili and chicken thighs I was abt to eat- and the ArchAngel Gabriel appeared with a celestial surgeon who was warranteed by Almighty to put my liver back in immediately without any pain, risk or fuss... and I just needed to donate to this Super Angel Surgeon about $2,000 in US currency... I'd have to opt on dropping dead into that chili myself.

So, I guess I'd pass on such an armrest. (Unless it's really, *really* cool).
Old 02-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by Phamaggot
So, I guess I'd pass on such an armrest. (Unless it's really, *really* cool).
Well...what if it lit up when you opened your door? Huh? LOL

Or...if it had a cup holder!! The more cup holders there are in the car the more likely it is that one of them will actually serve it's purpose. LOL

Quick Reply: Need armrest support Left side