Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally fixed the rearview mirror rattle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:37 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixed the rearview mirror rattle!!!

I have my z for over a year now. Since the car was brand new, the rearview mirror with the homelink rattled like crazy. When I hold it with my hands, the rattle goes away. For the longest time I could not figure out where the rattle was coming from. Initally I thought the noise came from the homelink buttons, but the noise was higher pitched than that. Yesterday I took apart the mirror housing. I first tried to insulated the portions holding the two plastic parts of the hosuing, but the noise was still there. I then discovered that the rattle came from the mirror hitting the front outer edges of the housing because the design did not hold the mirror to the front housing tightly enough. I simply taped the outer edges of the whole mirror with some electrical tape, and voila the noise is gone. Sorry I did not take a picture, but when you open the mirror up, you will see that there is a black border about 1/4 inch thick around the front reflective surface of the mirror. That is the border I taped up with the electrical tape.

Although the mirror housing was not easy to open, it was well worth for me to get rid of the noise. Now if I can fix that rattle coming from the rear...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Sounds good man. I might actually have to try this as mine rattles like a mother, especially when it's cold.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem. Took back to Nissan and they put in a new one in about 20 minutes. Figured, use the warranty. I would do the same, hold it and it would stop.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 PM
hndumafia

i wish the rattling from the mirror was the least of my problems. mine has actually broken off twice now. and not just like melted off the glass. but the bar that has a ball at the end that allows it to move has broken twice. and it feels like a really solid piece so i dont know what the problem is (except for the bass i guess).
Old 03-11-2005, 11:38 PM
BOOFER7
Banned

Originally Posted by gt3
I have my z for over a year now. Since the car was brand new, the rearview mirror with the homelink rattled like crazy. When I hold it with my hands, the rattle goes away. For the longest time I could not figure out where the rattle was coming from. Initally I thought the noise came from the homelink buttons, but the noise was higher pitched than that. Yesterday I took apart the mirror housing. I first tried to insulated the portions holding the two plastic parts of the hosuing, but the noise was still there. I then discovered that the rattle came from the mirror hitting the front outer edges of the housing because the design did not hold the mirror to the front housing tightly enough. I simply taped the outer edges of the whole mirror with some electrical tape, and voila the noise is gone. Sorry I did not take a picture, but when you open the mirror up, you will see that there is a black border about 1/4 inch thick around the front reflective surface of the mirror. That is the border I taped up with the electrical tape.

Although the mirror housing was not easy to open, it was well worth for me to get rid of the noise. Now if I can fix that rattle coming from the rear...
So its that high pitched rattle almost like radio static? Based on you resolution, what do you think about running a bead of krazy glue all around the inside perimiter of the mirror, when its still assembled, to avoid having to disassemble it? It drives me batshitz to have to squeeze it every so often...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:49 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by BOOFER7
So its that high pitched rattle almost like radio static? Based on you resolution, what do you think about running a bead of krazy glue all around the inside perimiter of the mirror, when its still assembled, to avoid having to disassemble it? It drives me batshitz to have to squeeze it every so often...
Yeah it sounds a little like radio static. I actually discovered the source of the noise when I found out that there is some room to give when I can actually push in the mirror.

I think crazy glue may work as well. However, crazy glue would be hard to apply without messing up/discolor the black plastic surround. Also, I am not sure whether crazy glue works well on glass.

Last edited by gt3; 03-11-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 PM
gt3

Some tips for those who are willing to disassemble the mirror, start at the base of the mirror with a screwdriver and pry it open carefully without causing damage to the plastic housing. You will find that there are 4 tabs that locks the base. Work on e the ones towards middle first. Once you separate the two pieces somewhat, work on the next tab. Then I just pulled hard to open the whole thing. Good luck!!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
uplz4588

god damn! i have this same problem also i think i may take it to the dealer... but they may gimme BS for all my mods?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
mdacko

i had that problem for a long time....took it to the dealership, they replaced my whole mirror. guess what?? its back, after 5k miles on the new mirror. its so fricken annoying.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by mdacko
i had that problem for a long time....took it to the dealership, they replaced my whole mirror. guess what?? its back, after 5k miles on the new mirror. its so fricken annoying.
I think it is a design flaw of the mirror housing. I have been driving the car for the past few days...so far so good. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 AM
E_Z_HOES

Thanks for the post. I thought I was hearing $hit... now I know where the noise comes from....
Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 PM
uplz4588

maybe ill head down to the dealer and ask to get mine replaced i doubt they will do anything... and once they see what kinda **** i did to the car you think they will be like.. .well your soundsystem and exhuast shook it loose or some other BS like htat?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
LIdrew

I think I have the same problem, but I didn't know where the sound was coming from. Does it sound like a Buzzing coming from the dashboard when you accelerate hard> I took it to the dealer but they have no idea what I'm talking about. I though it was a leaf stcuk somewhere.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
hndumafia

Originally Posted by uplz4588
maybe ill head down to the dealer and ask to get mine replaced i doubt they will do anything... and once they see what kinda **** i did to the car you think they will be like.. .well your soundsystem and exhuast shook it loose or some other BS like htat?

my mirror broke twice and was replaced under warranty both times by two different dealers, that are both aware of my sub. a non-sucky dealership shouldn't give you a problem. though maybe if you try and get it replaced for just rattling they'll tell you it's normal.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by LIdrew
I think I have the same problem, but I didn't know where the sound was coming from. Does it sound like a Buzzing coming from the dashboard when you accelerate hard> I took it to the dealer but they have no idea what I'm talking about. I though it was a leaf stcuk somewhere.
You can quickly check whether the noise is coming from the mirror by touch/hold the mirror with your hand and see if the noise goes away. I does sound like a high pitched buzzing.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Mr. CF

are there any picture/diagrams of this?????
Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Agentman03

Default Z mirrors

Some pictures ...
Attached Thumbnails Finally fixed the rearview mirror rattle!!!-mirrordsc01393cr.jpg   Finally fixed the rearview mirror rattle!!!-600px-350z_mirror_assembly.jpg   Finally fixed the rearview mirror rattle!!!-p1010281x.jpg  
Attached Images