Sponsored by:

APR Wind Splitter tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:04 PM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APR Wind Splitter tech

Does anyone have an APR Wind Splitter?

What I am wondering is does it come predrilled for install, and does one have to use the metal support links (do they actually do anything much at all)? Does anyone know what the dimensions of the exposed portion of the splitter is? I am thinking 1.5-2"?

I would like to put a subtle but functional splitter on my car along with the track diffusers and again a subtle but functional spoiler (although I have been thinking about a Nismo wing, but it is a little over the top!). The APR folks give the appearance that they have put a little thought and research into their product.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you're better off raking the car. i.e. having the front a little lower than the rear, than using that front splitter.

the idea of the splitter is that at higher speeds, air flow going under the car, will push that plate down, creating front downforce. however, if its not securely attached to the car multiple places, its just going to stretch the plastic of which it's attached to-

lips like the Veilside, Nismo, Top Secret, actually lower the gap between the ground and the nose, trying to reduce the amount of air flow underneath the car, as well as pushing the nose down by being extended fore of the bumper. the Top Secret goes further by producing a low pressure zone underneath the engine with it's intentation, sucking the front end down.

the APR one is really just for looks and you'd need to go alot faster and have secure hardmounts for that thing to work..

as far as the rear wing goes, that APR GT wing will work, since its higher up above the airstream over the back end of the Z and in the air flow.. lower wings such as the nismo or lip spoilers have little affect due to air separation over the hatch...
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe your tech re: the veilside/nismo/top secret lip spoilers. I don't believe any of these extend below the existing horizontal plane formed by the bottom of the front bumper. The APR splitter appears to extend further forward than any of those body kits, which leads me to believe it is more effective. My question about the metal support rods is in conjunction with determining how the splitter is mounted, if the splitter is predrilled and mounted with 6-8 etc. bolts then I wonder how necessary the metal rods are, unless the splitter is thin enough that deflection is an issue.

I have not seen any wind tunnel data to pinpoint where the laminar flow separation is occurring on the 350Z (and I doubt anyone is going to release it for free) but I believe it is lower and further aft and that a small wing could be effective. As a reference, look at the OEM Track spoiler. I may have to perform a yarn experiment.

edit: I emailed APR, maybe they can provide some additional data. Here's what I sent them:

Hi, I own a 2004 350Z and was wondering if you could provide me with some additional data about your splitter. I am considering purchasing one of these for my car. My questions are: Does the splitter come predrilled for mounting? Will the splitter interfere with or have to be removed for oil changes? Are the metal support rods a true necessity for mounting the splitter or are they for looks only? Do you have any data as far as the downforce produced by your splitter? Have you performed any scientific testing with the splitter? Have you performed any wind tunnel testing or empirical testing with yarn/smoke generators? Are you at liberty to release any of that data?

Last edited by imoz; 06-14-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Cashburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any response?