Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Kit Qs - I'm A Noob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Sial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Kit Qs - I'm A Noob.

I have some questions about installing a full body kit, and I have no body work experience at all.

1 - What is the average cost for an unpainted 4-piece kit? Realizing that this is probably like anything else, where I could spend as little or as much as I want. I'm specifically asking about a kit that will look clean when painted and not fall apart or chip easily.
2 - Will I experience fitment issues? Are most kits "bolt-on" in the sense that they will not require other parts of the body to be modified in order for them to fit in place?
3 - What should I expect to pay for painting and installation, matching the original color of my Z as closely as possible (Pike's Peak White)?
4 - Who are the top retailers of this sort of product? Are they generally purchased direct from manufacturer?

I hope this isn't too vague. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Red6

1. Price depends on the body kit and materials. I would say $700-$6000 depending on the body kit.

2- Yes you will have fitment issues if you buy cheap knock off kits. You may save money but the knock off kits need alot of prep work and are a nightmare for body shops. The knock off kits are not and as good as quality as orginals meaning they will get damagedeasily from daily driving.

3- Again depends on the body kit could be $600-$3000 depending on the body kit.

4- We sell only body kits that are known to fit perfectly. We get the kits direct from the U.S. ditributors (Veilside, Greddy, Top Secret, Ings, C-West etc).

Visit us at www.350zonline.com/store or give as at 818-468-4068.

Last edited by Red6; 08-31-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by Red6
2- Yes you will have fitment issues if you buy cheap knock off kits. You may save money but the knock off kits need alot of prep work and are a nightmare for body shops. The knock off kits are not and as good as quality as orginals meaning they will get damagedeasily from daily driving.
The only thing I'd say you should keep in mind that this is a generalization. You might or might not have fitment issues, the kit may or may not need a lot of prep work and it could be or could not be difficult for the shop. The knock off might not be as good, or in some cases (though probably rare) they could be better than the original.

You need to pick a style you like and ask about experiences with that kit, and about knockoffs of the kit (if it's something you want to consider). Some kits (original) have fitment issues and some are made better than others (quality and prep wise). I've also seen installers murder the installation of the same kit I have.

There's really very few definitive aspects to the whole thing.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for Chicken's post

genuine does not gaurantee perfect fitment and little prep. Knock of does not mean it is a POS....but there are so many versions of so many kits, you need to research a specific one
Old 09-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Red6

Veilside has had lip issue in their CF V1 lips other than that what kit OG has had problems?

People are ignorant in this industry, do not understand the market, and what original companies go though to design and maufacture a kit.

Poeple love knock off prices price but then complain about fitment issued latter.

I worked with my body shop for 5 years and seen most the knock off kits 350z and other cars. They knock off kit have more all have major prep work involved. They are made of thin fiberglass, have major wraping and pin hole issues.

I always sold and bought O.G. kitf for my own project cars the reason is because of less prep work and no fitment issues.

You get what you pay for which will be more money to prep and fix knock off problems.

I could sell and make money all day off knock off kits, but hey Im ethical.