Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtralights HID replacement bulbs for 350z

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Fairlady_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtralights HID replacement bulbs for 350z

hey guys i was wondering if the xentronic HID replacement bulbs r good. They r only $219.00 and look good from the images they r also water proof. What do u guys think and also how can i swap the OEM HID bulbs with the xentronic HID bulbs. Thanks

Here is the link
http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=5

Last edited by Fairlady_z33; 09-08-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:06 AM
donricouga

They seem ok. Honestly though, i would just go for the top dogs in this field, ie. philips or osram. These will last you a long time. Just get philips 5000K bulbs. I think on ebay they are about $80 each or so.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:16 AM
Fairlady_z33

yea but r they real HID
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 AM
donricouga

Yes. philips 6000K (which is the highest K rating by a manufacturer)
runs around $220 - $250 a pair.

5000K runs around $160 a pair. and 3000K runs around $100

its pretty easy to tell if they are real.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Sean00500

Hey bud i have the Xtralights i bought the 8000k they are very very nice and if you buy the D2r replaceables which is what they sell you can swap them in right through the head light housing, you do not need anything else but the bulbs. I like them a lot, if my camera would ever get fixed id take a few pics for you but god only knows when that will be stupid *** service plans. Anyway the lights are real good, Philips are great too but ive never seen anything higher than 5000K and i like the blue tint effect which is why i went with xtralights

And yes they are real HID, you can see the filament connecting with the glass sheild, very bright.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 PM
itsjoshufocker

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are 8000K street legal? i live in california, and they are **** about everything. i wanna get the deep blue 8000K one... looks sweeeeet
Old 09-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
hey guys i was wondering if the xentronic HID replacement bulbs r good. They r only $219.00 and look good from the images they r also water proof. What do u guys think and also how can i swap the OEM HID bulbs with the xentronic HID bulbs. Thanks

Here is the link
http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=5
I wouldn't touch them. No reputable manufacturer puts out higher than a 6000K capsule, so you do the math. Keep in mind at 6000K, you already lost 20% of your light output from an oem kelvin rating. At 7000K, you basically are on par with a stock halogen bulb's lumen output negating the benefits of HID. At the higher kelvin ratings, the light is less usable as it scatters MUCH easier in fog, rain, mist, snow, etc. On long drives, the color will cause increased eye fatigue.

The fact that they burn at a higher kelvin rating means a shorter life than oem capsules. Factor in, that these are an "off brand" (read that as not osram or phillips) and the materials, mainly the salts in the capsules, are of questionable quality and origin, you are just asking for trouble. With questionable materials and that fact that you start out at I higher than oem kelvin rating, you may just end up with capsules that color shift to orange or green. These so called 8000K and 10000K capsules really don't exist and the colors you are getting are most likely the result of tinted glass - hurting light output even more.

If all that isn't enough to convince you not to buy them, they are actually more money than true oem replacements.

Just to give some more info, the color everyone so desperately seeks is NOT the capsules, but the PROJECTORS. The color is produced in the lens and in the cutoff shield. The color you see in an oncomming car is actually just in the light cutoff. To me, the flicker is what is desirable. It shows a quality cutoff (nice and sharp), good spread from the projector, and plenty of color in the cutoff.

if you go high kelvin, you may want to invest in some driving ligts because you won't be able to see jack at night:
Name:  7500K.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  8.8 KB
Old 09-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Sean00500
And yes they are real HID, you can see the filament connecting with the glass sheild, very bright.
Xenon capsules do not have a filament
Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
R2theP

http://www.globalpremier.com/
For 40 bucks you could try these and not be out much money if you didnt end up liking them.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Cambelsoop

ne 1 have pics of the xtralights bulbs 8000k...
Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Cambelsoop
ne 1 have pics of the xtralights bulbs 8000k...
The pic I posted above is 8000K - maybe not 'xtralight' brand, but that doesn't make much of a difference.

PLEASE read through this thread before making a poor decision to purchase high kelvin capsules
Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Cambelsoop

i kno that i will be sacraficing light.. but its ok i liek the color of the 8000k. worse comes to worse ill drive around with my high beams on lol

zivman : u said that it doesnt matter which 8000k bulb u get... will they all be the same color... cuz the 8000k on xtrralights.com r real blue ... the other i seen on ebay or where ever else dont look that blue.... i kno that it all depends on out reflectors...
but no 1 bulb is better then another?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Cambelsoop

these here say they r jdm. but i dunno

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8000K...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Cambelsoop

ahh i have no patients... i bought em lol ill post pics and let every one kno how they r when everything is installed
Old 10-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Zivman

but no 1 bulb is better then another?

OEM phillips or Osram capsules are better than ANY off brand capsule.

8000K is a POOR choice no matter how you would like to justify it. That amount of color just brings to mind "ricer" - not calling you that, but that is the feeling it gives me. IMO, 8000K is worse than putting spinners, a huge double decker spoiler, a monsterous "APC " sticker, or altezza lights on your Z. It is about the same as slapping on the exhaust thing that makes the turbo sound you can buy off ebay.

high kelvin is a poor substitution for what you are looking for. It is not the answer. What you really desire is what a good set of projectors can do for you. Did you not read the thread I linked? See the pics of the color modded projectors? I am at a loss on this board.

I understand people have different tastes and can spend their money as they choose, but this is a situation outside of that. I am not passing judgement on anyone, just that those that actually purchase high kelvin, offbrand (anything NOT phillips or osram is offbrand), capsules are naive and misinformed.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Zivman

8000K is a POOR choice no matter how you would like to justify it. That amount of color just brings to mind "ricer" - not calling you that, but that is the feeling it gives me. IMO, 8000K is worse than putting spinners, a huge double decker spoiler, a monsterous "APC " sticker, or altezza lights on your Z. It is about the same as slapping on the exhaust thing that makes the turbo sound you can buy off ebay.

high kelvin is a poor substitution for what you are looking for. It is not the answer. What you really desire is what a good set of projectors can do for you. Did you not read the thread I linked? See the pics of the color modded projectors? I am at a loss on this board.

I understand people have different tastes and can spend their money as they choose, but this is a situation outside of that. I am not passing judgement on anyone, just that those that actually purchase high kelvin, offbrand (anything NOT phillips or osram is offbrand), capsules are naive and misinformed.

Looking at the ebay auction you linked:
The 8000K HID bulb has an approximately 2750lm output, which is about 2 times brighter than the original HIDs from the OEM (usually 4300K).

This is complete BS. oems put out 3200-3500 lumes. 8000K capsules are in the ballpark of 2000-2500 lumens if you are lucky. Even if they put out the claimed 2750, it is still a 20% reduction in light ouput.

On top of all that, you get a measely 1 yr warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to use the warranty on them. NO WAY will you get anywhere near the lifespan of oem capsules. Nothing says 8000K better than a nice color shift to orange, or maybe green, right before they start to flicker and won't light up anymore. But it will only be one side at a time, so you can still enjoy your dim blue HIDs on one side.

:end rant:
Old 10-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Cambelsoop

Originally Posted by Zivman

ok first of all changeng the color of ur headlights.. and not the LIGHT OUTPUT is a very BIG difference then altezza tail lights, that stupid fake turbo sound, and a huge double decker spoiler... BIG DIFFERENCE

i like hearing other peoples opinions thats y i asked for it, but dont try to hog tie me and cut my ***** off. i got a 8000k hid conversion kit on my bike, loved the way it looks, like it better then the dull semi white light i got on my z so i wanted to change the color output... like i said be4 ikno the light output or lumen will be lower... but thats ok with me. i want that bluer look.

yes i have a z and not a 92 honda del sol with hidrolics. im not a ricer, but i guess if i like the color blue that makes me one. well i ordered the lights. if i dont like then then i will change em back. not a big deal...

thanks any way Zivman
Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Zivman

ok first of all changeng the color of ur headlights.. and not the LIGHT OUTPUT is a very BIG difference then altezza tail lights, that stupid fake turbo sound, and a huge double decker spoiler... BIG DIFFERENCE
You just don't get it. You cannot change the color without affecting light output. The fact is, going to a high kelvin capsule completely defeats the purpose of having HIDs. The sole reason for HIDs, is not to look cool, it is to put the most amount of light on the road. OEM rated capsules do that. Enjoy your blue lights. If I am ever around your area, and happen to see your ride, at least I'll have a little laugh at your expense

Fact:
8000K = rice
The following users liked this post:
Heritage (11-26-2015)
Old 10-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Cambelsoop

what r u the HID ****

hey if u take a F***** second to read my post i said i didnt care if i lost light output. u sound like my g*d DAmn mother, y dont u read the whole post first.... I DONT CARE IF I LOSE LIGHT OUTPUT IM A RICER AND I WAS BLUE LIGHTS r u happy.
the reason i got HIDs is to look cool not for the most light output... is that ok with u . i dont really care if its ok with u ...

do u work for phillips or osram if not y the hell do u car what company bulbs i buy...
and ur only passing judgement on people who buy high kelvin HIDs... y?

maybe u should take up a nice hobby like shuffle board to curling.. maybe that will satisfy ur needs.. u seem kindy cranky

i appreciate ur opinion but dont speak to me like a child
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Zivman

what r u the HID ****

hey if u take a F***** second to read my post i said i didnt care if i lost light output. u sound like my g*d DAmn mother, y dont u read the whole post first.... I DONT CARE IF I LOSE LIGHT OUTPUT IM A RICER AND I WAS BLUE LIGHTS r u happy.
the reason i got HIDs is to look cool not for the most light output... is that ok with u . i dont really care if its ok with u ...

do u work for phillips or osram if not y the hell do u car what company bulbs i buy...
and ur only passing judgement on people who buy high kelvin HIDs... y?

maybe u should take up a nice hobby like shuffle board to curling.. maybe that will satisfy ur needs.. u seem kindy cranky

i appreciate ur opinion but dont speak to me like a child
What I am telling you is you are replacing a top of the line part with cheap knock-off of sub par quality and performance.

The lights you bought WILL:
A.) put out the same amount of lights as stock halogen bulbs - but like you said, you don't care, you want them blue
B.) cause undesired eyestrain to you on longer drives
C.) potentially color shift to green, orange or an unknown brown color
D.) have a shortened life span - most likely around 100-300 hrs vs OEMs 2000-3000 hrs
E.) emit a light that scatters VERY easily during rain, fog, mist, snow ect. Dropping your light output even more

It just irritates me when I inform people of such a long list of negatives in regards to high kelvin capsules yet they ignore everyone for one VERY subjective positve...they are blue. How is this different from putting putting spinners, a huge double decker spoiler, a monsterous "APC " sticker, altezza lights, or the turbo "sounder" on your Z???? I doubt any of those are so heaviliy outweighed by reasons not to put them on your car as a set of 8000K capsules is.

In reality, the blue you think you will be getting is NOT A FACTOR OF THE KELVIN RATING. To get the color, you need a full true projector setup. Your lights will look very close to a tinted halogen bulb, but you still get the cool start/warmup of xenons

Yes, I am a HID ****. Your reasoning behind purchasing the 8000K capsules implies that you are a child.

Edit:
In resonse to:
The reason I "care' is, that those two companies are the only two REPUTABLE companies to produce xenon capsules. If you don't buy from either of those companies, you are buying a product of questionable origin, quality, and performance. From the ebay auction you linked, it is clear the capsules you chose to buy are of questionable origin, quality and performance. "JDM" means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I can tell you from first hand experience, you are buying some "outer ring" chinese manufactured capsules that are manufactured using cheap glass and salts. In short the reasons for not buying anything other than phillips or osram are clearly listed above.

Last edited by Zivman; 10-12-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Xtralights HID replacement bulbs for 350z