Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Varis duct install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if you would really gain that much on a dyno... considering this works like a CAI and would probably work much better while driving fast than while sitting still and spinning a dyno drum with your tires.

That's why I always take dyno results with a grain of salt... spinning on a dyno is not driving.

(And a ghetto fan that people blow on the radiator is not a substitute for driving).

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-15-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Dragonstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice cf duct
Old 09-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So doesn't the rain water have a straight shot to the filter at high speeds now, with that ram air hole?

How about a small rock making it's way into the hole at 100+ MPH penetrating the filter then being sucked into the intake and manifold?

Yes, I said sucked, ram, penetrating and hole
Old 09-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Tortuga

LOL Chad 68

I saw on another thread that someone had even driven during hurricane katrina in Louisiana and when they got home they checked the filter and it was dry. The way the duct sits, it is actually a little lower than where the filter sits. So if a tube was run from the duct to the filter water would actually have to flow UP to get into filter area. Same for a rock. By the time the rock got to the filter it would have traveled up duct and would probrably lose velocity by the time it made it to filter area, if it made it that far.

Anyone had any problem with rain/rocks with their Varis duct??
Old 09-15-2005, 05:12 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BriA5
The Z in that pic has a CF cooling plate installed. That's what you see that makes it look like the duct is going all the way back to the intake.
Shankyou.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tortuga there is such a small installed base of the varis that i dont think there has been enough time for problems to even show up. I think with just the varis you are fine but with the tube it could literally act as a guide for debrees and moisture to get into your filter. Not leading to hydrolock or rocks in your engine just a really dirty filter pretty quick. The air flow provided by the varis should naturaly head right for the ram air already. The only problem is the varis hole is kindof small on the inside. If i was to get this mod I think i would choose the C-west version bc the whole is much larger. Then i would fabricate some kindof screen on the inside of the air way passage to keep large debrees out.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:55 AM
ZlleH

The varis air duct is angled in such a way that if a rock traveling at 100km/h will hit the wall first and will not go straight in.

As far as the rock hitting the filter and making a hole... When was the last time you heard someone with a CAI that has the filter in front of the radiator complaining that their filter had a hole in it due to a 100km/h travelling rock?

Originally Posted by Chad68
So doesn't the rain water have a straight shot to the filter at high speeds now, with that ram air hole?

How about a small rock making it's way into the hole at 100+ MPH penetrating the filter then being sucked into the intake and manifold?

Yes, I said sucked, ram, penetrating and hole
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
EnthusiastZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
Your Varis duct looks great, I love them on white Z's. BTW does anybody know what CF cooling plate that is that routes the air from the air duct to the filter location? If you could post who sells them that would be cool too....
That piece is by Autoteknic.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
BJF2K

that piece will match nicely with the autotecknic cooling plate
Old 09-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Tortuga

Default C-West

Gatti-man, I believe with the C-West N1 you need the front bumper as well. The C-west bumper has the hole already formed into the bumper, then they sell a duct that goes behind the bumper to the filter area.

I think this is how it is set up. Anyone know for sure? Would one have to buy the whole bumper and the duct for C-West?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZlleH
The varis air duct is angled in such a way that if a rock traveling at 100km/h will hit the wall first and will not go straight in.

As far as the rock hitting the filter and making a hole... When was the last time you heard someone with a CAI that has the filter in front of the radiator complaining that their filter had a hole in it due to a 100km/h travelling rock?
I have never heard of the rock thing happening before but some guy in here had a CAI and removed it due to the risk of a rock possibly making it's way thru the filter, even though a very tiny risk.

I would imagine it would probably loose enough umph to don't go thru the filter, with your setup.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Tortuga
Gatti-man, I believe with the C-West N1 you need the front bumper as well. The C-west bumper has the hole already formed into the bumper, then they sell a duct that goes behind the bumper to the filter area.

I think this is how it is set up. Anyone know for sure? Would one have to buy the whole bumper and the duct for C-West?
I am positive i saw a C-west duct just like the varis except the end hole is much larger. That being said i cant find it....lol
Old 09-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Tortuga

Default Radiator plate

This is the CF radiator plate I've seen on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/03-04-05-NISSAN-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the C-West bumper that I have seen. http://www.intensepower.com/ntnsraci...z01a-fbpf.html

Here is the C-West duct. http://www.intensepower.com/ntnsraci...z01a-aipc.html

Last edited by Tortuga; 09-15-2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Adding more links
Old 09-16-2005, 04:42 AM
BluZee

Would there be a way to enlarge the duct at the back to allow even more air flow?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:21 AM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

Originally Posted by BluZee
Would there be a way to enlarge the duct at the back to allow even more air flow?

it doesn't need it, any larger and it will be overkill

more pics:

www.varisusa.com
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Clapton9286

I believe that would look sick on SB...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:34 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by topsecret2001
it doesn't need it, any larger and it will be overkill
OK thanks. Just thought Id ask.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
sfarrah

Default Rocks and Rain

I've had the varis duct and jwt filter from SPL Parts installed for almost a year now and have never had an issue. The car is pretty much my daily driver and i've driven through some pretty heavy rain down here in TX. The added tubing I installed "could" cause more water to be directed towards the filter but you could easily pull out the simple ducting piece I have stuffed between the varis duct and the filter in a heavy rain storm if you were worried about it. As for a rock getting through that opening, all the way to the filter and actually penetrating it is about a million in one chance if that ever happening. I love the intake/duct combo personally.

If you really wanted to open up the back of the varis duct you could simply shave it down some, but I have no idea how easy it is to cut through CF and leave a clean finish/edge.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Tortuga

sfarrah, where did you go to get that tubing? I am still looking for one.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 PM
sfarrah

Kuah has some at the shop i believe. Shoot him an email or stop by the new location- address is on the website - www.splparts.com . He also might be able to bring it to the car show sat if you're going. I stopped by the new place and picked up a new 5zigen fireball exhaust yesterday but don't know if i'll have time to install it before saturday.

Quick Reply: My Varis duct install