Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

LAST PICS before march 15 unveil. Importlife custom body kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003 | 08:46 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Mr B
Yeah... I liked it better without the nostrils and the nose sticking out as much as it does now. If it was like the original, I'm sure a lot more people would've wanted the kit.

Yes, that's another thing I wanted to point out is the kit sticking out to much. Personally I don't like kits that stick out, it makes it look like a LONG nose. I like more of the short flat look, just like the skyline has. It seems like he mated the S2000 C-west replica kit with a 350z stock fiberglass. It sticks out about maybe a foot more. Man, what's up with these great looking concepts but once made they go around and change the design. I gurantee if it was just like the PS concept (silver Z) It would be a successful kit, other than that be ready to compete with the rest of the outlandish kits that already exist. Im in if you take the pointless nostrils that lose the beautiful design of the Z... Remember, this isn't a HONDA. Its a beautiful car to begin with, keep the clean make it look nice not Rice. Not bagging on you, just giving my opinion. Im not the only one that feels like this, if you plan to market a successful kit and want to help the company than I would do what the community wants. Which is a great looking clean kit. That is all
Old 02-21-2003 | 09:40 AM
Importlife.com

Thanks for eveyone's input. I have noted everyones comments to the manufacturer. Importlife is marketing this kit. But the liability of sales and the final product, is on the manufacturer.

Importlife is trying to collaborate as much as possible, but the final say on the kit is with them.

I agree the silver PS is nice and clean. But our intent was to make an entire kit that was agrressive and outlandish, yet resembled the PS. We have to make sure the bumper goes well with the four new fenders and new rear end/wing. I am not going to mislead you guys. This is not a mild kit.

You have to understand we cant please everyone all the time. But the reality is that the stock Z is a great look to begin with. If we dont deviate from that, then most people wont invest $1000 in a kit. I mean look at the Nismo kit. Until the knock off came out, why would you pay $2800 for a lip extension in a stock bumper and new wing, in addition to going from OEM Urethane to Fiberglass? Did you guys know the lip in the front for the Nismo is coming out soon. and wont require an entire new bumper at a fraction of the cost? The CF lip extensions are coming out too.

And our kit will probably get flamed by many on this board. but thats ok. Because i think most on this board like to bash cars and the community of fast and furious type cars, but that movement is what is propelling all these cool cars to even come out for sale.

Movies like fast and the furious have helped the car industry move away from the SUV Era. And I thank them.

I hope everyone can understand that its impossible to make a custom kit that everyone will like. My main goal is to make this car stand out. The manufacturer's goal is to sell these kit in U.S and Japan.

I think we are on the right track. The manufacturer has told me that you can opt to order the bumper without the nostrils. all they have to do is not make the hole. And as far as the bumper sitting out too far, the pics are not the final product. its the mold. meaning one they are done, they make kits from it. the final product wont sit that far out. these were just teaser pics anyway. but again, thanks for everyone's input.

On a side note, as a Z owner, its very nerve racking to put up your baby for open heart surgery and be the test car. Hope i get some kudos for even attempting this. :P

Last edited by Importlife.com; 02-21-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2003 | 09:53 AM
Importlife.com

Default Here's a poll for everyone...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20274
Old 02-21-2003 | 11:12 AM
Jergens

Hey Import guy =). Sorry don't know your name. As a BMW owner at the moment a lot of my buddies on the E46 forums are giving me major guff about moving to the Japanese market. However I must say I respect you for putting your self out there for this project. In my opinion the kit front looks rather attractive. Yes it is over the top, especially coming from the BMW marque, but a lot of my buddies have encouraged "Embrace some rice". Of course no huge triple deck spoilers and fart cans, however, the Z already looks good in the "Clean" way in my opinion. I think that you spicing it up with an aggressive look is a good step. I do think the nostrils add a bit much flare for my taste, although I won't pass judgement until I see the entire finished kit. But without those hood nostrils, maybe even with them depending how the rest of the kit is shaped, I think I would be interested in this almost above everything else I have seen out there. Nismo is too subtle, Veilside is just god aweful, and this I find to be a good comprimise. I have to give you props for going out on a limb. Anyhow keep us updated and I can't wait to see the finished product in March... right

~Josh
Old 02-21-2003 | 11:17 AM
Importlife.com

Thanks for your comments Jergens. The car will be under the Toyo Tires Booth at HIN Philly.

I am also a recent bmw owner. I just bought a 1992 535i with only 23k original miles. I'll probably just put some wheels on it and be good to go.

I needed a daily driver to replace the Z for this year.

Matt
Old 02-21-2003 | 12:39 PM
zpeed350

personally, i liked the nostrils....and it could be bada$$ if they were functional!!
Old 02-21-2003 | 12:57 PM
Importlife.com

the driver side nostril IS functional. I showed the manufacturer where the stock intake sucks in air. So the driver side hole is right in front of the stock intake.

The passenger side is more "makeshift" functional. It is direct access for outside air into the engine bay.

FYI -

The fenders will have functional brake cooling ducts and the rear fenders will look similar to the Porsche Turbo/boxster ducts.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 02-21-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2003 | 06:33 PM
Dolfan13

Maybe you should have some steam coming out of the nostrils then we could call it the raging bull.
Sorry but a Nismo kit it's not. Nismo adds to the lines and beauty of the car, it doesn't turn it into something ridiculous.
Old 02-21-2003 | 08:02 PM
travs_z

Smile

This is what comes to my mind:
Attached Thumbnails LAST PICS before march 15 unveil. Importlife custom body kit-catfish.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003 | 05:26 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

THe nostrials are not that great.. but depending how they turn out when everything is finished out then it might be ok... but I think that CS pgotoshop is awesom.. that is much closer to what I and as others have to what they are looking for. The car has great lines alraedy.. the nose it jsut a lil bit plane jane for some or to look as agressive as the car really is. one thing taht would be nice though if the nostrials were made so they could be filled in easly so that if someone did not liek the kit then they could fill them and pant over is so it id not there.
Old 02-22-2003 | 06:52 AM
Importlife.com

you can order them without the wholes punctured. but the shape will be the same.
Old 02-22-2003 | 06:59 AM
frryy

Originally posted by Importlife.com
you can order them without the wholes punctured. but the shape will be the same.
Nice

So maybe it'll look something like this?
Attached Thumbnails LAST PICS before march 15 unveil. Importlife custom body kit-preview5-small-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003 | 07:14 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by frryy
Nice

So maybe it'll look something like this?

That looks so ****ing SIC! Def without the nostrils makes a HUGE difference. Damn, nice PS again to MR Fryy I'll take 2 if it ends up looking like that, one for daily driving and one for show
Old 02-22-2003 | 07:48 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

exactly what I was thinkin....
Old 02-22-2003 | 08:19 AM
Importlife.com

How about a compromise and incorporate the SMZ style air gills. Cuz i do want something to let airflow into the stock intake location.
Attached Thumbnails LAST PICS before march 15 unveil. Importlife custom body kit-smzstyle.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003 | 08:52 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Something to let air in to the air box is fine.. but I am not sure it it is really needed as most will go to CAI Probably... but if done tastefuly it will be fine
Old 02-22-2003 | 09:01 AM
Importlife.com

I dont have a aftermarket CAI. Looking for twin turbo. the nostrils on the drivers side and or the gills would be in front of the stock air box.
Old 02-22-2003 | 09:16 AM
Importlife.com

Just spoke with the manufacturer. They will sell both RICE and the NON Rice versions. So thos who dont like the nostrils can opt for the rendering Frryy did.

I personally like the rice/catfish bumper. its too plain without anything there.

:P
Old 02-22-2003 | 10:43 AM
MSOsr

Will the "no nostrils" iteration still have the indentations in the sweep of the bumper (albeit without the "holes" punched out) or will it look like Frryy's version?
Old 02-22-2003 | 11:19 AM
travs_z

I still say the original PS looked the best of all the kits out right now by far! With or without the nostrils, the kit (in it's current form) just sticks out too much. Most people who buy the Z are going to be 25y/o+ and will not be that interested in running some outlandish looking kit.

The demographic of Z buyers is going to be quite different than your average Civic buyer for sure. Suggest to the manufacturer to make a front bumper like the orignal PS. I think it would sell much better than the more aggressive one. Just my .02

Quick Reply: LAST PICS before march 15 unveil. Importlife custom body kit