Old 02-21-2003, 04:03 PM
LowFuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My custom interior

Enjoy...

Old 02-21-2003, 04:39 PM
AceOfSpade

Interesting color selection. But most importantly, unique and looks professionaly done. Nice!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. Your setup is what I have in mind. Where/who did it for you? Need some detail here.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Moroccan_Mole

very nice!

i like the color choice.

the only thing im really not feeling is the accent on the steering wheel.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:31 PM
dczoner

Lowfuel,

As always sweet work. I was wondering the same thing - where'd you get it done? Also, does anyone else with cloth seating already have wear & tear in their drivers seat? Mine seems to be pulling itself apart. I wear a lot of jeans and rough fabrics, but it seems like this should last a lot longer than just a few months (delivered in August, w/9k miles on the car).

Also, lowfuel, you had the cloth to begin with right? So what was the grand-total of this whole setup?

Also, I think it looks better in person even from the look of the pictures. The texture just makes it look like you wanna just rub your hands all over it. The color doesn't seem to come out quite right on these pictures, but I think it complements the blue really well.

See ya soon.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Importlife.com

Thats a real awesome job. Can you tell us the shop you got that done? I may be interested in a straight up black motiv of the same interior. Black leather and black suede.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:00 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Nice Job! Very well done. I wish the color was a little more vivid in the pics but you get the idea.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:36 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitly nicest fit I have seen so far, please tell!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Phatmitzu

Thumbs up

one word...classy.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Blue350z

you stole my exact idea!!! Everything, even the arm rest and suad roof. And i thought i would be the only one to have it. Well it looks great! How much did each piece cost you? And is that real suad?
Old 02-22-2003, 06:09 AM
collinsc

suede.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:35 AM
LowFuel

Sorry for the lack of info in the original post.

Costs (all costs are materials and labor)
---------------------------------------------------
Seats: $1100
Armrests: $100
Shiftboot: $50
Headliner/Visors: $375
Steering Wheel: $250

The black leather on the seats and steering wheel is just your basic high grade leather. The tan material is Ultrasuede , an artificial suede that is about 20 times more durable than suede, stain resistant (heck you can clean it with a wet rag, try that on suede), and just generally nice stuff.

The work was done at StitchCraft Custom Interiors in Huntington Beach, CA. They are world famous for their interiors. Everything is custom fit, no Katskinz patterns or anything. Took about 3 days in total, spread out over a few months (my doing not theirs).

Yes, had cloth before as it's a track model.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:16 AM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like the setup a lot, but that color seems to clash with the exterior color IMO. Great job otherwise, i'm a big fan of what you've done!
Old 02-22-2003, 01:17 PM
TonyZXT

I like that allot. I really hate to be a downer though, but as an ex-upholsterer I have to cringe at those prices. At stitchcraft, you pay for their name. I could have done that job for 2/3 of that price and still came out like a bandit. Almost makes me want to get back in the the biz, but I don't have the time with my job. I do have to say though if you are satisfied with the end product that is all that really matters.
I am going to do some similar stuff in mine when I get it, but will likely do some really trick custom stuff beyond what I have seen. I am working on some ideas to do with a mild custom sound system that will be removeable with a quickness, and blend in the Z really well. As far as the system goes, allot of stealth will be invovled, but the interior mods will be fairly extensive, with a serious focus on lightness. The words carbon fiber keep rattling around in my head, but not for looks. Nothing the slightest bit ricey, but extensive nevertheless.
TonyZXT

PS If anyone has upholstery or interior questions, or want to discuss ideas (the ones I can talk about) feel free to pm me!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:16 PM
LowFuel

I realize the color combo is not for everyone, but blue/tan has always been my favorite since I saw an F355 with a similar scheme years ago.

Originally posted by r34 racer
I like the setup a lot, but that color seems to clash with the exterior color IMO. Great job otherwise, i'm a big fan of what you've done!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:20 PM
LowFuel

Originally posted by TonyZXT
I really hate to be a downer though, but as an ex-upholsterer I have to cringe at those prices. At stitchcraft, you pay for their name. I could have done that job for 2/3 of that price and still came out like a bandit.
Thats ok - I appriciate the input. Oddly, Stitchcraft was the lowest of the 3 quotes I got, and on top of that they also met my two main requirements:
- Worked on a 350z already
- Worked with Ultrasuede / Alcantara before

One place wanted to charge me 1700 for the seats alone, and they were going to use Katskinz. :P
Old 02-22-2003, 04:45 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by TonyZXT
I like that allot. I really hate to be a downer though, but as an ex-upholsterer I have to cringe at those prices. At stitchcraft, you pay for their name. I could have done that job for 2/3 of that price and still came out like a bandit. Almost makes me want to get back in the the biz, but I don't have the time with my job. I do have to say though if you are satisfied with the end product that is all that really matters.
I think the real difference is that in CA, everything just costs MORE. When I used to manage a car audio shop, we couldn't keep our installers around if they weren't working more than 1/2 a day. They get $18/hr not to work and $28-40/hr to work. And that was 3 years ago wages for a mid-level installer. I think its all about california living expenses, plus associated business costs are higher across the board, not to mention higher taxes, etc.

But if I'm ever in VA, I'll hit you up!
Old 02-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Slexis200

i live in NY but i just e-mailed that place to ask them if they could send me the boot, and armrests in the orange katzkin to match my seats...... that headliner and mirrors looks dam good buddy........ very, very interesting....... what do you think about black suede top?? I live in NY so i want him to send me the boot and arms........
Old 02-23-2003, 04:16 AM
TonyZXT

Wow, I knew everything in Ca. was more expensive, I just didn't realize to that extent, and even on labor. I remember working at an upholstery shop in Radford, Va, and doing some pretty complicated custom seats for a guy with a very custom 69' Mach 1. I think he got out the door for somewhere around $500, and that was with sensuede (similar to ultrasuede) and with a completely custom layout that was way diferent than the stock seat (thus more laborous than the Z seats.) Totally different world I guess.
I have plenty of time to dream up designs and stuff for mine, since I'm living in an apartment til at least December. I plan on getting a place with a garage after that, and then I can buy the commercial sewing machine and other equipment Ill need. I need to find someone locally that can fabricate fiberglass, I have at least 2 ideas I know are going to require it for the rear of the car.
Oh, well that's still a ways off. What other ideas does everybody have for the interior? Mild to wild, don't know if it'll work? Post it anyway, almost anything is possible.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:19 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by LowFuel
I realize the color combo is not for everyone, but blue/tan has always been my favorite since I saw an F355 with a similar scheme years ago.
More power to you then! Although I initially didn't like it, i must say that it is growing on me. The more i see it, the more i like it. All that matters is that you are happy, and since you are, I am happy for you as well.

Quick Reply: My custom interior