Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air bag disable kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 AM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default air bag disable kit

Has anyone ever heard of an air-bag disable kit for the Z? I'm looking into buying one used and the previous owner says he has one installed.

Here is their quote: "This is an NTSC certified operation, for which I have all of the paperwork. It makes it safe and legal to put a child seat (5-pt or booster) in the passenger seat. A simple, easily accessible switch turns the airbag on or off."

Any ideas/pictures?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Swiffer

Yes. It is an option available through the dealer. I'll try to look up more info on it. I never understood why they put the child seat anchor behind the passenger seat, but no switch to disable to airbags...not very smart.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
geomark

Thanks, I just really wanted to know if it is an 'obtrusive' button or if it really is conspicuous. Is there any modification required to install the button. Just curious at this point. I was also wondering the costs involved in having the dealer do this.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Swiffer

Here is a blurb from a member on another Z site:

"I had the on/off switch installed in my z in January. Had to go to the National Transportation website and download the form. Fill out the form and you get a response/approval very quickly. The problem is finding someone to install the switch. My Nissan dealer would order the part but not install it. The NTSB sends you a list of vendors who are supposed to install it. There is a couple of 800 numbers and I had to finally call one of them. They then made arrangements for another vendor in my area to install the switch. The parts cost me $168 and there was about a three hour labor charge. Over all, it cost around $500."

Form that needs filled out:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...tchRequest.PDF
Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
znasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag disable kit

Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to get this done and the part numbers of the parts needed. I already have the letter from the DOT all I need is the parts and someone to install them. I have called my local dealer and they can't even find the P/N for the parts needed. Please Help?