Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX8 to 350Z Feedbacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Kiam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ALL From OZ LAND... new to your forums, I get my new Z in 3 weeks!!

I test drove the RX-8..thought it was a fantastic car...it won WHEELS cars of the year here 2003 and the Z was in the mix then.
I would have bought one, but I wanted a 2 door Coupe not a 4 door one.

Love the looks of the Z, I think the 8 is slightly better finished and put together...

I am concerned now though about the Z s oil consumption, tranny, rear end problems I have been reading...is it sorted out yet by Nissan?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:16 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

if ur getting an 06 you will have no problems. if ur getting used then hopefully ur getting 05 and if getting 03 or 04 then hope they got it fixed.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 PM
myladyz33

i had an 04 rx8 with all the goodies dvd navi and all nice some performance mods that thing handled and sounded nice with an hks legamax all around just a nice *** car but the torque made it super slow i now got an 06 z and it looks nice and is soo much faster than the rx8 but the i just loved the 8's interior they did an awesome job on that but the z was built like a true sports/track car +1 on the z
Old 10-22-2006, 03:03 PM
taurran

Who cares about the cars. Are you a girl?

Old 10-22-2006, 03:26 PM
swipe112

IMO, in an auto-x setting, the Rx8 outhandles a 350z - stock for stock. Just my 2 cents. They are lighter and more tossable around a short track, similar to how a S2000 will whoop a Z on a tight auto-x circuit.

On the highway, neither stand a chance...
Old 10-22-2006, 03:30 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Not necessarily true -- Carter in his '05 track "outhandled" the RX-8s on a course that most people thought was an "RX-8" course...
Old 10-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Xoulrath

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Not necessarily true -- Carter in his '05 track "outhandled" the RX-8s on a course that most people thought was an "RX-8" course...
Exactly. On autocross courses especially, where power isn't necessarily your friend, it comes down to the driver's abilties behind the wheel.

I have a cousin who has a Corolla XRS. Decent car, really is (except for his fart can, another story for another day). I could give him the keys to my Z (not that I would) and drive his car, and lay waste to his @$$ on any short course around. He doesn't know how to drive smoothly, and thinks driving fast means "all gas, all the time". I could then take the keys to my Z back, and thoroughly put him down.

Only in very, very rare cases (usually a car "tuned" to a specific track) does the driver not matter.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
I got rid of my rx8 for a 350z. Performance wise the Z has the edge hands down. I love everything a bout the Z. I would like to hear feedbacks from people that went from an rx8 to Z. Thanks
To be fair, the number 8 in RX8 IS greater than 3 or 5 and Definitely 0. And the Letter R or even X, alphabetically, comes before Z. Put everything together, and any scientist would agree that the RX8 IS superior to the 350Z.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
350V

Smile

Originally Posted by efx
ive been waiting for this thread to start.

My buddy has an Rx8 and hes been offering me to raise him in the mountainside (curvey roads). He's so sure that hell beat me because of the rx8's handling. He says he has seen videos of rx8's beating the Z on the track. I told him that they were professionals and you and I are amateur drivers. I'm pretty good in handling my Z but,my car being at only 1Kmi, I won't take it to the mountainside. Ill wait for my JWT pop charger to get here and probably smoke his @$$.
350Z has better wet traction than almost any other sports car. Challenge him after it has rained, then see what he says.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
350V

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
To be fair, the number 8 in RX8 IS greater than 3 or 5 and Definitely 0. And the Letter R or even X, alphabetically, comes before Z. Put everything together, and any scientist would agree that the RX8 IS superior to the 350Z.
LMAO
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
350V

Talking

Originally Posted by kdogg24
Z hands down...RX-8 is a Ford, and Fords are no good
Yeah
Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
350V

Originally Posted by swipe112
IMO, in an auto-x setting, the Rx8 outhandles a 350z - stock for stock. Just my 2 cents. They are lighter and more tossable around a short track, similar to how a S2000 will whoop a Z on a tight auto-x circuit. It all comes down to the driver's ability.

On the highway, neither stand a chance...
true
Old 10-22-2006, 06:16 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by efx
ive been waiting for this thread to start.

My buddy has an Rx8 and hes been offering me to raise him in the mountainside (curvey roads). He's so sure that hell beat me because of the rx8's handling. He says he has seen videos of rx8's beating the Z on the track. I told him that they were professionals and you and I are amateur drivers. I'm pretty good in handling my Z but,my car being at only 1Kmi, I won't take it to the mountainside. Ill wait for my JWT pop charger to get here and probably smoke his @$$.

well i dont think the pop charger will assist you any in "smoking" his ***..
Old 10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by 350V
350Z has better wet traction than almost any other sports car. Challenge him after it has rained, then see what he says.

not the base model.. i slide all over the place..
Old 10-22-2006, 06:22 PM
RBlover69

I like the rx8 for what it is , but what were they thinking with a 2 rotor ,in a world where a 4cyc is making 300 FI and a Z is making 300 NA why in gods name would u make a excllent handling car, be on par power wise to the well as compitent then a tiburon GT stock.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um .... do you RX-8 fans know that the rotary engine is actually NOT spraying enough oil into the gears? ... I have a RX-8 friend who pointed this out to me. I'm pretty sure he told me that this a factory recall. I would have no problem with putting another quart of oil in every month ($5 a month isn't that expensive) but from what I've heard the RX-8 engines are doing the exact opposite. They're not burning oil, they're actually not using enough to lube the rotary gears ...
Old 10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Um .... do you RX-8 fans know that the rotary engine is actually NOT spraying enough oil into the gears? ... I have a RX-8 friend who pointed this out to me. I'm pretty sure he told me that this a factory recall. I would have no problem with putting another quart of oil in every month ($5 a month isn't that expensive) but from what I've heard the RX-8 engines are doing the exact opposite. They're not burning oil, they're actually not using enough to lube the rotary gears ...
No such thing as rotary gears. You might be referring to the apex seals. With the new design (renesis), there are no problems with them getting too little oil for lubrication. The only recall is for the emissions. They are just checking the cats and spark plugs. These were typically replaced. Very rarely were the engines getting swapped out. But they were not getting replaced due to the apex seals.

And yes, they do go through more oil than most cars, this is due to the lubing of these seals.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Paul_in_DC

Check out the Solo2 nationals results from SCCA. RX8's practically owned B-Stock, with something like 8 of the top 10 positions. Z's were an "also ran," like the MR2's.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:39 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro194
No such thing as rotary gears. You might be referring to the apex seals. With the new design (renesis), there are no problems with them getting too little oil for lubrication. The only recall is for the emissions. They are just checking the cats and spark plugs. These were typically replaced. Very rarely were the engines getting swapped out. But they were not getting replaced due to the apex seals.

And yes, they do go through more oil than most cars, this is due to the lubing of these seals.
I guess then this site is spreading misinformation.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/826

August 25, 2006

"RotaryNews.com has confirmed that there will be a recall on the 2004, 2005 and some 2006 Mazda RX-8s. Not every RX-8 will need a new engine, only those that fail a series of tests, including a new vacuum test.. The replacement engines will correct for issues ranging from flooding, hard starting, complete loss of compression, and use of Synthetic Oil in hot climates. For those that do not require an engine replacement, the ECU will be reflashed to provide for more lubrication (an already released Flash). Recall notice letters will be sent out to owners on a staggered schedule. At this point some dealers do not know about the recall, as the bulletin has not been sent."

Quick Reply: RX8 to 350Z Feedbacks